Hello from Bucks County PA

Shadowfax

Jul 17, 2014
Southampton-Bucks County PA
Hello everyone. My name is Brian and I poked around here after hearing about it from another site/member.

I have been around audio and gear most of my 52 years. My oldest brother built Heathkits, Dynacos and Haflers on the Kitchen table when I was a tyke and on into my teens. My other brother had several pairs of AR speakers and put the gear thru it's paces.

My first setup was a BSR Turntable with Heathkit Receiver and speakers.
I bought my first real stereo at 17 with my first income tax check, Onkyo Receiver, Tape Deck, Dual Turntable, and Infinity speakers. Great little bedroom setup for a teen.

Later on worked thru a little mass market gear and then some Hafler 945-9180 combo with Mirage 790s.
Next was a Sound Valves 101i Pre and Odyssey Stratos Plus amp driving Dynaudio 82s.
I strung together an HT setup of an Integra 30.3, the Dyn 82s, 42, and 122c with a Mirage OM-12 sub and OPPO 93

My main rig that is closing in on Vintage status was purchased for cheap in a strange set of circumstances. I had to retube and repair the Pre and Amp. So my current setup is-
VAC CLA1 MKII Dual Mono Tube Pre > Counterpoint NPS-400 Amp > Rotel 1072 CDP > and Clearfield Continentals with all Synergistic Research cables from same years. (the Clearfields are actually early von Schweikert design and build when he worked under the Counterpoint umbrella in the 90s before branching out with his own standalone company)

I hope to downsize my home and upgrade to a smaller more killer system, but we shall see about that.

I was a Toolmaker for 25 years and did 3D Solid Modeling Design of custom machinery for the last 10. I changed my career 10 years ago due to several injuries and surgeries and I am now a Principal Support Analyst for a Global Pharma CRO and Software company. I do consulting and support of Regulatory Submission Software and everything connected globally to it.

I have a good size almost organic garden which I become a slave to each summer, but love the benefits. We just harvested last Novembers planting of 100 heads of Garlic on Sunday. No Vampires in a 5 mile radius!

I also like to sample Micro and worldwide ales. One of my favorite brews is Heady Topper from The Alchemist in Vermont.

I will get to posting a shot of my room, but wanted to say hello before jumping into threads unannounced :)

Cheers and have a musical weekend!

Brian

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome indeed Brian! I love gardening and made a nice little 8x12 plot in my backyard, which was quite a hit in the neighbourhood as it was only my then-wife and I and we couldn't use it all. I'm in an apartment now, but I still have lovely memories of the yields that little piece of earth gave us.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Welcome to the best forum on the Internet!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome Brian. You are our type of guy :).

Say, were the injuries because of the machining of the solid models? I recently bought a CNC and am getting mostly familiar with it. Would love to know about dangers I may not know about :).

Shadowfax

Jul 17, 2014
Southampton-Bucks County PA
Welcome Brian. You are our type of guy :).

Say, were the injuries because of the machining of the solid models? I recently bought a CNC and am getting mostly familiar with it. Would love to know about dangers I may not know about :).

Solid Modeling, 3D Autocad

I ran Bridgeports for many years and changed the tools out several hundred times a day. That coupled with some anatomy things, I ended up pinching off the tendons in my shoulders with bone spurs. That led to Clavicle Resections on both. I also had my left Ulnar Nerve moved along with a Carpel Tunnel.

I ran CNC Mills, Lathes, Lasers, EDM Wire and Sinkers along with everything else.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing