Taralabs grandmaster evolution: new top of the line cables from Taralabs

ismewor

Nov 6, 2014
Just found this awesome forum and people are talking about this absolute awesome cable, which I can't agree more. It is the best I ever heard. Coming from their Zero Gold line, which I think already world best, but their new flagship is just show their are room for improvement. One best thing I love even more is how flexible the cable is. which is 360 change from the zero gold series. Tara you guys Rock.
BTW, I will also keep my Panerai as well.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Most welcome ismewor. Can you inform us about the components of your audio system? Eg, are you using solid state or tube amplification?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Taralabs GME and Zero Evolution.jpg

Listened to GME (the right side thicker one) and Zero Evolution (left side) several days ago. Both xlr 1.5m.
Compared with an Odin xlr 1m.

As expected, GME is the new emperor, winning Odin in almost all sonic aspects, particularly musicality.

Zero Evolution is on par with Odin but with very different character.
ZE is warmer/sweeter/slower/have more bass energy. Odin is faster/higher resolution/leaner.

The groundbox of ZE looks ordinary but GME's is of dual-mono configuration.
We attached GME groundbox to ZE for a trial.
Very interesting : ZE became nearer to GME and IMHO was then better than Odin. ZE became more agile, quieter yet retaining the musicality.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Thanks much CKKeung for your interesting feedback. Can you please describe in somewhat more detail the system in which the Taralabs (and Odin) cables were being used? Given my earlier comments you will not be surprised if I remark that I am not surpised at all that you were so seriously impressed by the Taralabs Grandmaster cables. Were you able to listen the new Taralabs Grandmaster power cable as well? I am using this new pc with my Trinity dac right now and my first experiences are positive although I need (much?) more time to let this pc break in before I can reach a final conclusion. But I can definately promise you that by combining the Taralabs grandmaster ic's with the Taralabs Grandmaster loudspeaker cables the end result will even be much better!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks much CKKeung for your interesting feedback. Can you please describe in somewhat more detail the system in which the Taralabs (and Odin) cables were being used? Given my earlier comments you will not be surprised if I remark that I am not surpised at all that you were so seriously impressed by the Taralabs Grandmaster cables. Were you able to listen the new Taralabs Grandmaster power cable as well? I am using this new pc with my Trinity dac right now and my first experiences are positive although I need (much?) more time to let this pc break in before I can reach a final conclusion. But I can definately promise you that by combining the Taralabs grandmaster ic's with the Taralabs Grandmaster loudspeaker cables the end result will even be much better!

Hi Audiocrack,

The GME / ZE / Odin shootout was performed in my friend's system which consists of : Magico Mini2; ARC 40th Preamp+Ref250 monoblocks; Metronome cdp; Shunyata powercords & power-conditioner.

The Taralabs dealer in Hong Kong imported the GME & ZE ic only for the time being but I am sure GME powercord & speakerwire must have heavenly quality!

CK

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'm sure the new TL cables sound great but there does seem to be a trend to raise prices across many different luxury markets in order to match the buying power of the (mostly) Chinese and Russian multimillionaires. I have a friend that lives in Malaysia, his specialty is distilling agarwood... he said the Chinese outbuy the Arabs and are getting all the large raw agarwood chunks, they fly in and drop hundreds of thousands at a time. Personally, I'm all for the transfer of wealth to the creative classes through the purchase of art, audio, etc... but it seems like pricing is getting out of hand very quickly and products are expensive just for the sake of being expensive. I'm not saying this is good or bad, it's obviously good for folks who can sell 6-figures worth of cables for a single audio system, it is interesting though...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm sure the new TL cables sound great but there does seem to be a trend to raise prices across many different luxury markets in order to match the buying power of the (mostly) Chinese and Russian multimillionaires. I have a friend that lives in Malaysia, his specialty is distilling agarwood... he said the Chinese outbuy the Arabs and are getting all the large raw agarwood chunks, they fly in and drop hundreds of thousands at a time. Personally, I'm all for the transfer of wealth to the creative classes through the purchase of art, audio, etc... but it seems like pricing is getting out of hand very quickly and products are expensive just for the sake of being expensive. I'm not saying this is good or bad, it's obviously good for folks who can sell 6-figures worth of cables for a single audio system, it is interesting though...

Interesting post .. Thank you for your candor.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Now that my Tidal T1 Sunrays are gone I was able to insert my Taralabs Grandmaster loudspeaker and ic cables as well as the grandmaster pc in my Genesis set up. Furthermore I combined the Trinity combo with my Kondo/Genesis set. Interesting to watch (and hear) how easily my Genesis 1.1 'se' (that is my Genesis 1.1 with completely reworked xover (only using silver Duelund caps)) let you hear the differences. The Taralabs cables and the Trinity combo are so mighty impressive. I have ordered another Taralabs grandmaster ic that will be used between the Trinity dac and Kondo m1000 preamp.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Marshall Nack recently published in Positive-Feedback a review of the second in line Taralabs ic cables, that is the version directly behind the Taralabs Grandmaster evolution top cables. I think we may safely conclude that he was (very) seriously impressed.

Last edited:

cpvniii

Sep 29, 2013
Is this the same Tara Labs that got caught by ICE importing 46,000 cables from China marked and packaged as Made In America in 2004 ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is this the same Tara Labs that got caught by ICE importing 46,000 cables from China marked and packaged as Made In America in 2004 ?

I think that was 10 - 15 years ago. Not to mention that has to do with misrepresentation in labeling and doesn't change SQ one way or the other

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Taralabs has unleashed a new state of the art phono cable. I include some info on this cable from Taralabs:

"The Zero Evolution Phono-Cable
The Zero Evolution Phono-Cable is the epitome of high-end reference quality phono cables. The design and technology used in creating this exceptional cable, is a far cry above any other phono cables that are currently available in today’s marketplace. Extremely low Capacitance as well as exceptional high-frequency extension The Zero Evolution Phono-Cable works very well with all cartridges regardless of voltage.

The Zero Evolution also incorporates a “star-ground” system (SGS) with a variety of optional male/female mini-banana connections. This system is unrivalled in that it provides the option of floating or connecting different sections of The Zero GX Phono-Cable shielding system. There are subtle differences to be heard, some of which are caused by slight variations in the shield and grounding arrangements of the cartridge and the tonearm, and the turntable and the phono-preamp. As we all know, the shield/ground formats in the Phono interface are sometimes different enough to create a hum or buzz problem. Using The Zero Evolution Phono Cables’ superb proprietary shielding system, we are able to provide a method of optimizing the shield and ground system for the lowest possible noise floor in this critical component interface. As we all know, the shield/ground formats in the Phono interface are sometimes different enough to create a “hum or buzz” problem. With The Zero Evolution Phono Cables’ proprietary shielding system (SGS), we are able to provide a method of optimizing the shield and ground system for the lowest possible noise floor in this critical component interface."

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I spoke this week with Matthew Bond and Devon Scott of Taralabs about their new special version of the top of the line Taralabs Grandmaster evolution loudspeaker cable. According to Matthew this new version sounds even more smooth, organic and fluid than the 'regular' version of the Grandmaster evolution. I include some info from Taralabs:

"TARA Labs “SP” Speaker Cables: - As the loudspeaker cables carry much higher signal voltage and current into a non-linear impedance (the loudspeaker) the reactive load of the loudspeaker can be difficult for some amplifiers to drive... and the all-important damping factor of the amplifier does change from amplifier to amplifier. The phenomenon is readily apparent, sometimes heard as bass that is soft and low in amplitude, sometimes together with high frequencies that are too smooth or rolled-off, in addition to a loss of musicality. However, when these amplifiers are connected with TARA Labs ‘SP’ speaker cable models, the output of some high-end loudspeakers instantly becomes audibly improved at variable frequencies. One of the great attributes of the TARA Labs ‘SP’ speaker cable models, are the 'state-of-the-art' technology and design that was created by TARA Labs. Their performance level is absolutely spectacular when matched with the majority of high-end audio components available today."

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Did anyone compare this Tatalabs GME speaker cables with
Transparent Opus and Nordost Odin 2 ?

How they differentiate ?

I cant think about other top contendors in that respect

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Kris,
IMHO TaraLabs GME and Transparent Opus are in the same camp, whereas Nordost Odin1/2 are at the other end of the spectrum.

I did compare the GME & Zero Evolution vs Odin 1 & 2.
The latter have strong signature sound, emphazing speed, resolution and freq extension, particularly the treble.
I personally like the former two much much more. To my wooden ears they are more musical and allrounded.
I eventually bought a Zero Evolution xlr ic and one additional HFX groundbox to make L/R individually grounded.

BTW I find Taralabs GME and Zero Evo more suitable to act as pre-power connection and I'm using mine this way.

Another opinion of mine : the new Odin Gold surpasses all of the above. I think that it is the best "big brand" cable series I have ever auditioned and their high prices are not solely rip-offs.
o_O

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Hi Kris,
IMHO TaraLabs GME and Transparent Opus are in the same camp, whereas Nordost Odin1/2 are at the other end of the spectrum.

I did compare the GME & Zero Evolution vs Odin 1 & 2.
The latter have strong signature sound, emphazing speed, resolution and freq extension, particularly the treble.
I personally like the former two much much more. To my wooden ears they are more musical and allrounded.
I eventually bought a Zero Evolution xlr ic and one additional HFX groundbox to make L/R individually grounded.

BTW I find Taralabs GME and Zero Evo more suitable to act as pre-power connection and I'm using mine this way.

Another opinion of mine : the new Odin Gold surpasses all of the above. I think that it is the best "big brand" cable series I have ever auditioned and their high prices are not solely rip-offs.
o_O
Thank you !
So for cost no object project there is only 1 king and its name is Nordost Odin Gold ?

It sounds from your post that it is better in all apects from all others !

Also you are talking minly about IC cables or speaker?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
IMHO Odin Gold cables have very high applicability and suit most brands & types of components.
However I prefer employing some Crystalconnect Da Vinci cables on the frontend components. This can give the sound a bit more agility and airliness.

The prices of these two cables are astronomical. The local dealers should provide home-trial/-loan service.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing