Torus Power Balanced 90A Panel

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Are you getting power at the other side of the toroidal? Boy now that is frustrating big time....good luck and hope it is nothing major.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Finally! Success! Bad QC. 2 wires in back feeding power to one of the relay cards were never connected. Just powered up and everything seems to be working normally. Time to plug everything in!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Finally! Success! Bad QC. 2 wires in back feeding power to one of the relay cards were never connected. Just powered up and everything seems to be working normally. Time to plug everything in!

fantastic!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice, will be watching this thread

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Nice to know - this power system seems very interesting. Looking to read about it in this thread - the Fenice's are high resolution listening tools!

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Everything has been shut down for 5 days and I'm traveling over the next week so unfortunately it's going to be a while before I get a good handle on things.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm sure the Toroidal will make a huge difference. It will be very interesting to learn whether you will still get any benefit from the Shunyata gear.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'm sure the Toroidal will make a huge difference. It will be very interesting to learn whether you will still get any benefit from the Shunyata gear.

+1

the Torus guys were great to work with in my experience- seems like a small hiccup, but you're up and running.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Madfloyd, I'm sure Shunyata will synergise well w/the Torus. I'm similarly running a 65kg, 8kVA Westwick 8K balanced power transformer which has, ahem, transformed, my system, and have then maxxed the effects of this w/Entreq Silver Tellus/Apollo grounding.
IMHO, the balanced transformer brings a solidity of foundation to the system, making music more effortless, which the grounding then tops off by revealing greater calm and transparency.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
+1

the Torus guys were great to work with in my experience- seems like a small hiccup, but you're up and running.

Really good guys! They realized they had a problem and worked through it. In the end they're reimbursing me for the two times my electrician had to come back to troubleshoot with them on the phone. The reimbursement was their idea by the way. Many apologies as well.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
That unit is star circuited and should be very quiet. That is a huge torodial! Nice unit.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Madfloyd, I'm sure Shunyata will synergise well w/the Torus. I'm similarly running a 65kg, 8kVA Westwick 8K balanced power transformer which has, ahem, transformed, my system, and have then maxxed the effects of this w/Entreq Silver Tellus/Apollo grounding.
IMHO, the balanced transformer brings a solidity of foundation to the system, making music more effortless, which the grounding then tops off by revealing greater calm and transparency.

Interesting, if I recall correctly, I was speaking with Miguel from Tripoint last winter about purchasing a Tripoint Troy SE, I mentioned I may first need to add an isolation transformer for my system and he told me the Tripoint does not mix well with isolation transformers. I could be mistaken but don't think so.

I know the Entreq is a different animal but now I'm curious about the reasons behind Miguel's statement.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Frank

your plight reminds me of Clark Griswold in Christmas vacation after he wires his house with an overload of Christmas lights. Everything was wired correctly but he couldn't power the whole thing on. Once his wife figures out that the master on switch was never flipped and once she did the entire neighborhood lights quickly dimmed and Clark's electric meter was doing a sprint

It's but a small hiccough and will be fine soon.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank

your plight reminds me of Clark Griswold in Christmas vacation after he wires his house with an overload of Christmas lights. Everything was wired correctly but he couldn't power the whole thing on. Once his wife figures out that the master on switch was never flipped and once she did the entire neighborhood lights quickly dimmed and Clark's electric meter was doing a sprint

Steve,

Christmas Vacation is exactly what I brought up to the 2 electricians when the thing wouldn't work after they completed an 8 hour install this past Sunday. They replaced a light switch close to the new panel for some reason and when I saw it the first thing that came to mind was Clark.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Frank

Hi Steve, do you have a transformer based electric in your listening room ? I was going to do a subpanel before the main house box. Perhaps the Torus or equitech is a better way to go ?

Is the Torus balanced power like equitech ? Worried about local electric codes.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Steve, do you have a transformer based electric in your listening room ? I was going to do a subpanel before the main house box. Perhaps the Torus or equitech is a better way to go ?

Is the Torus balanced power like equitech ? Worried about local electric codes.

I don't because where it would have to go in relation to my room would create problems

Every circuit however is a 20 amp dedicated line each using a Furutech Rhodium Gold AC adapter

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Without getting into a lot of detail, it has been 24 hours since the panel was turned on and my system has been powered up. I'm extremely happy with what I'm hearing so far. I've been having horrendous electrical problems for the past 6 months and at least to this point, it seems the Torus 300 pound beast is on the way to correcting my issues. My fingers are still crossed.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Great news. I could never go back to untreated mains, audiophile conditioners/filters, regenerators etc after going balanced. 8kVA may be a bit overkill for my bijou 35W/ch SET monos, but I've now got capacity to spare. You will be amazed at the benefits to be achieved by going balanced.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing