Conclusive "Proof" that higher resolution audio sounds different

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
+1

"Night and day" .. "Blew out of the water" and other audiophile hyperbole, seem to be missing from the Amir's OP..

To those who have trained ears and know what to listen for, differences can be more pronounced.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)

"Night and day" .. "Blew out of the water" and other audiophile hyperbole, seem to be missing from the Amir's OP. For the record,

For the record I am of the advice that Hi-Rez and Redbook can sound different ...

Just aplly a logarithmic scale to the audiophile hyprerbole and the two scales are equivalent - and then you will be able to enjoy audiophile forums more ... ;)

In what aspects do you think they sound different?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
To those who have trained ears and know what to listen for, differences can be more pronounced.

Agreed. Audible, even with training, extensive experience and concentration to the point of listening for artifacts, not to music, is more pronounced than inaudible. :)

Tim

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Agreed. Audible, even with training, extensive experience and concentration to the point of listening for artifacts, not to music, is more pronounced than inaudible. :)

Tim
I suspect Bruce is using music...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I suspect Bruce is using music...

I'm sure he us. I was referring to Amir's success in quantifying the audible differences, and what was required to hear them.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The process is no different from tuning your guitar Tim. When you have a reference you know what is "off".

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The process is no different from tuning your guitar Tim. When you have a reference you know what is "off".

Just like in the medical field. You see thousands of "normals" and when that "Abby-normal" comes to see you, it's a night/day experience.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
"Night/day" hyperbole is not confined to the audio forums - it's a characteristic of most hobby forums that involve tweaks & technology & personal enjoyment i.e cars. Any others people can nominate?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
"Night/day" hyperbole is not confined to the audio forums - it's a characteristic of most hobby forums that involve tweaks & technology & personal enjoyment i.e cars. Any others people can nominate?

It's not just limited to technology, John. On the guitar forums, my only other hobby, the difference between basic models and premium models, between premium models and vintage repros, between vintage repros and custom shop, between the best factory custom shop models and the "hand-built" luthier guitars...are all presented by some in dramatic, hyperbolic terms. I've owned every level. I have the reference points. I've owned the normal and the "abby-normal." And can I still recognize exaggeration when I see it. There's not nearly as much of it, though. It's there, but it doesn't seem to dominate the dialogue the way it does in the audiophile world.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I dunno about that Tim. I look at hyperbole differently when it comes to a new, hopefully happy, owner. The guy is just expressing his happiness. I don't think we have to be so literal about everything. I look at marketing hyperbole differently. I know what the purpose of that is as well so the BS detector gets turned on. At the end of the day, the question that needs to be answered is if the product lives up to the hype. That is a personal call.

The problem with audio is that communicating feelings is so friggin' hard. Take it from somebody that sells the stuff. Personally, I gave up. I'm like, "here I'll take it to your place and you tell me" or "take along some of your favourite tracks and come over". Demo-ing is so much easier. Once in a while I'll write a review but to be honest, I do it more for myself than anything else. They are like diary entries, something I can look back on in the future to help keep me honest.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Bruce and how many of us do have those trained ears? Research shows that we, audiophiles do not fare well. Of course you could be one of the few who do fare extremely well...

The "Night and Day"differences are also greatly helped by knowledge of the product under evaluation .... I am just saying :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Bruce and how many of us do have those trained ears? Research shows that we, audiophiles do not fare well. Of course you could be one of the few who do fare extremely well...

The "Night and Day"differences are also greatly helped by knowledge of the product under evaluation .... I am just saying :)

If you buy into that marketing, err... science. It's curious how people selectively believe things.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

If you use a DAC that upsamples Redbook and downsamples hirez files to the same frequency, you're not going fare very well at hearing any differences.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It's not just limited to technology, John. On the guitar forums, my only other hobby, the difference between basic models and premium models, between premium models and vintage repros, between vintage repros and custom shop, between the best factory custom shop models and the "hand-built" luthier guitars...are all presented by some in dramatic, hyperbolic terms. I've owned every level. I have the reference points. I've owned the normal and the "abby-normal." And can I still recognize exaggeration when I see it. There's not nearly as much of it, though. It's there, but it doesn't seem to dominate the dialogue the way it does in the audiophile world.

Tim

Tim,

If a type of expression dominates the audiophile world IMHO one should adapt to understand it if he wants to understand other people messages. Using their hyperbole and style the high end community (professionals and consumers) has found what Amir has proved now many years ago. Audiophiles must be happy for that.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I dunno about that Tim. I look at hyperbole differently when it comes to a new, hopefully happy, owner. The guy is just expressing his happiness. I don't think we have to be so literal about everything. I look at marketing hyperbole differently. I know what the purpose of that is as well so the BS detector gets turned on. At the end of the day, the question that needs to be answered is if the product lives up to the hype. That is a personal call.

The problem with audio is that communicating feelings is so friggin' hard. Take it from somebody that sells the stuff. Personally, I gave up. I'm like, "here I'll take it to your place and you tell me" or "take along some of your favourite tracks and come over". Demo-ing is so much easier. Once in a while I'll write a review but to be honest, I do it more for myself than anything else. They are like diary entries, something I can look back on in the future to help keep me honest.

Yeah, it is also compounded that music is about enjoyment-satisfaction and critically communicating the emotional context and connection the writer/composer intended.
These are usually beyond "normal" objective and quantifiable variables in the context of say this thread and various other audio related subjects and topics, especially as the emotional context and musical connection can be a combination of or on its own based upon rythm-instrument and how played-harmonics-tone/key/etc-etc.
From what I remember for recent scientific research, music does use both mathematical (mathematical beauty) and linguistic aspect of the brain - ok that is putting it very simplistic I know :)

All we can say for sure IMO is; blind ABX IS tough and in many ways artificial requiring a specific approach-scope and methodology for both the tester and critically the listener to have any meaning.
If there is a successful test then it comes down to there is a difference and investigating why and the potential implications and scope, anything else is speculation.

Cheers
Orb

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

Tim
Well knowing the trait it's easy to adjust one's scale when reading forum posts. That's why it's useful to get to know posters & their style.

I bought a 2nd hand SLK a while back & looked at the MB forums where I saw a performance tweak/adjustment that no MB service ever addresses - cleaning the mass airflow sensor (MAF) & other related units. I had my mechanic do the job (smallish job) & expected some performance boost (based on the forum posts) when I first drove it - nada.

However a short time later when I had my wife in the car she noticed how much smoother my reverse parking was - the car was producing a much smoother low speed take-up. Not what I expected based on reading posts & a little bit of knowledge of what the MAF does. Some might miss the change it makes being more focussed on the performance side of the car only.

Oh, btw it has made a difference to my long-term pleasure in driving the car - I missed the fine low speed clutch based control I always had with manual shift cars but now it's fine, I don't miss it.

Does this sound a bit like an audio tweak review - even down to my wife being involved in the review? :)

Last edited:

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Yeah, it is also compounded that music is about enjoyment-satisfaction and critically communicating the emotional context and connection the writer/composer intended.
These are usually beyond "normal" objective and quantifiable variables in the context of say this thread and various other audio related subjects and topics, especially as the emotional context and musical connection can be a combination of or on its own based upon rythm-instrument and how played-harmonics-tone/key/etc-etc.
Yes, agreed & this is where the personal preference aspect comes in - people value different aspects differently/focus on different aspects - it's not that we "all hear differently",it's that we value & focus on different aspects of the soundfield. The soundfield & our reception of it is by-and-large the same for all people of average hearing, I believe, - too much is made of HF loss as we age - how important do we really think this is based on Amir's test results? There's more to it than just HF acuity.
From what I remember for recent scientific research, music does use both mathematical (mathematical beauty) and linguistic aspect of the brain - ok that is putting it very simplistic I know :)
I also believe that latest research shows that the visual cortex has a role in hearing

All we can say for sure IMO is; blind ABX IS tough and in many ways artificial requiring a specific approach-scope and methodology for both the tester and critically the listener to have any meaning.
If there is a successful test then it comes down to there is a difference and investigating why and the potential implications and scope, anything else is speculation.

Cheers
Orb
Thanks, Orb, your thoughts & learning on blind testing is valuable & much appreciated

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes, agreed & this is where the personal preference aspect comes in - people value different aspects differently/focus on different aspects - it's not that we "all hear differently",it's that we value & focus on different aspects of the soundfield. The soundfield & our reception of it is by-and-large the same for all people of average hearing, I believe, - too much is made of HF loss as we age - how important do we really think this is based on Amir's test results? There's more to it than just HF acuity.
I also believe that latest research shows that the visual cortex has a role in hearing

Thanks, Orb, your thoughts & learning on blind testing is valuable & much appreciated

Read The Brain that Changes Itself, the science of neuroplasticity or sensory substitution. The long held theory that specific areas in the brain control defined functions eg. localization, is no longer valid. In fact, look at the chapter where the researchers use sound to retrain blind people to see. Some amazing work being done by Bach-Y-Rita and researchers in Germany and Israel as well as around the world.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Read The Brain that Changes Itself, the science of neuroplasticity or sensory substitution. The long held theory that specific areas in the brain control defined functions eg. localization, is no longer valid. In fact, look at the chapter where the researchers use sound to retrain blind people to see. Some amazing work being done by Bach-Y-Rita and researchers in Germany and Israel as well as around the world.

Thanks, Myles!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing