Page 2 of 159 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1584

Thread: Conclusive "Proof" that higher resolution audio sounds different

  1. #11
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Orb View Post
    Amir,
    Kudos to still get involved in such threads on AVSF.
    I still am incredulous that many there still ignore acknowledged experts in the field that show technically why one needs roughly 20 bits and 96khz (although technically this is still a little bit more than is required in context of ideal filters-etc).
    It is as if anyone who is involved in audio is not counted as an expert; hence Bob Stuart, Bruno Putzeys, John Westlake, Robert Watts (one if not the very first to develop commercial FPGA DAC),etc etc etc and the list is biiig.
    And then there are those with or working in studios on top of this.
    My sigh can be heard across the Atlantic
    Wonder if I can bring myself to read the thread at AVSF....

    Anyway gratz on your hearing-perception-cognitive skills and importantly taking time to do that test
    Im sure usually they do not use good native hirez files (or at least verify it is not upsampled from a lower rez file and without digital artifacts-issues) any of their tests; HifiNews (both Paul Miller and Keith Howard) have shown there are a lot of iffy hirez downloads out there.

    Cheers
    Orb
    You're the lucky coin Amir. Now where's James Randi when you need him? Tell the difference between cables and make some serious coin.

  2. #12
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,136
    Anybody else here try the test?
    I did on my laptop - up to 16/32 is easy but 16/44 not so
    I'll try on my DAC when I get over my hatred of jangling keys.
    BTW, I would love to hear what Amir has picked up on before I give a link to where this same test has been done before & the conclusions
    Manufacturer digital products Ciunas.biz
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin.
    "measure 'accuracy' where it counts by understanding the psychoacoustic mechanisms of the auditory illusion of HiFi" - me

  3. #13
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] amirm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    15,594
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    You're the lucky coin Amir. Now where's James Randi when you need him? Tell the difference between cables and make some serious coin.
    Ah, I had forgotten about making a million dollars that way . Had he ever put forward a challenge against high-res audio?
    Amir
    Madrona Digital
    Founder, Audio Science Review Forum
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

  4. #14
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] amirm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    15,594
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
    Anybody else here try the test?
    I did on my laptop - up to 16/32 is easy but 16/44 not so
    I'll try on my DAC when I get over my hatred of jangling keys.
    BTW, I would love to hear what Amir has picked up on before I give a link to where this same test has been done before & the conclusions
    Let's not dig into the details for now and let folks run the test.

    I will of course at some point elaborate more on what I heard.
    Amir
    Madrona Digital
    Founder, Audio Science Review Forum
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

  5. #15
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,438
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Ah, I had forgotten about making a million dollars that way . Had he ever put forward a challenge against high-res audio?
    No but I'm sure we can get Randi stirred up enough he would. We'll keep you in our back pocket and just like happens in those TV "pool" games, have you as our ringer! As long as you're willing to split the pot!

  6. #16
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Let's not dig into the details for now and let folks run the test.

    I will of course at some point elaborate more on what I heard.
    OK, you deserve to bask in some glory for a while
    Manufacturer digital products Ciunas.biz
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin.
    "measure 'accuracy' where it counts by understanding the psychoacoustic mechanisms of the auditory illusion of HiFi" - me

  7. #17
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] amirm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    15,594
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    No but I'm sure we can get Randi stirred up enough he would. We'll keep you in our back pocket and just like happens in those TV "pool" games, have you as our ringer! As long as you're willing to split the pot!
    No worries. We will set up a fund for anyone who has suffered in the hands of Randi and crew and hire a lawyer to decide how much they deserve!
    Amir
    Madrona Digital
    Founder, Audio Science Review Forum
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

  8. #18
    Arguments about value of sampling rate > 44.1 Khz and bit depth > 16 bits has filled thousands upon thousands of pages on various audio forums.
    Amirm ... in the grand scheme of things, these test only deflect the real issues concerning the problems of digital reproduction. In my books, although it's obvious higher# may offer potentially superior SQ, the entire sampling rate/bits debate is chalk-full of audiophile hypocrisy.

    Digital done right or wrong, isn't simply a sampling-rate/bit depth issue, so many examples exist ...

    tb1

  9. #19
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,853
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I am actually thinking of proposing a paper and get some of this data on record.
    Splendid proposition, Amir

    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    It is remarkable how our leading engineering/research organization has done so little to bring light to this issue.
    I would sincerely expect, if the science is grounded in basic research, then scientists would be receptive to conflicting data/analysis/conclusion.
    Vbr,

    Sam
    SPQCV

  10. #20
    Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,156
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Amirm ... in the grand scheme of things, these test only deflect the real issues concerning the problems of digital reproduction. In my books, although it's obvious higher# may offer potentially superior SQ, the entire sampling rate/bits debate is chalk-full of audiophile hypocrisy.

    Digital done right or wrong, isn't simply a sampling-rate/bit depth issue, so many examples exist ...

    tb1
    You are right, but sample rate and bit depth IS an issue in the context of ideal filter and studio processes involved, including the application of how often/when TPDF dither is used as an example (remember music is from a big chain-process when considering mic-recording-mixing-mastering-etc).

    Cheers
    Orb

Page 2 of 159 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 109
    Last Post: 06-04-2016, 03:51 AM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-25-2015, 12:58 AM
  3. "Fast" and "slow" subwoofers: can we put them to bed?
    By twelti in forum Todd Welti Discusses Subwoofers In Rooms
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-16-2015, 12:34 AM
  4. This is what "real" bass looks and sounds like
    By amirm in forum General Audio Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 12:20 PM
  5. The "Best" Crash Proof Motor Bike
    By audioguy in forum Best Online and You Tube Videos Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •