Solid state amp recommendations for Sonus Faber Stradivari ...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I finally broke down and ordered my pair of Stradivari. :b

I am curious as to what you guys recommend for solid state amplification. From reading some of the posts here, I understand Strads can be difficult to drive properly. I love tubes and think I have that covered. For the times I want music playing and not worry so much about the tubes, what are some really nice solid state options? Thank you for your thoughts.

ps. I do have a Hegel H30 coming and I am Spectral curious.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Congrats Joe!

Try your 601's first :D

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I know I'm jumping the gun, but I will. Thank you Shane.

Now that I think about it Joe. I have a feeling that the 601's will be creamed by the cj tubes.:b

When I had my Strads, the 2x MC2102's were quite a bit better than the 501's. The 601's are a bit more musical than the 501's?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I think the ART monos will cream everything. :)

I guess I'm just looking for SS with control and musicality, not that I don't have it now, but curious what others can recommend.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I am curious as to what you guys recommend for solid state amplification. From reading some of the posts here, I understand Strads can be difficult to drive properly. I love tubes and think I have that covered. For the times I want music playing and not worry so much about the tubes, what are some really nice solid state options? Thank you for your thoughts.

First of all, a big congratulations. In spite of your world class collection of audio equipment, I am not sure I have ever seen you pine away for one particular thing as much as these Strads. In a word, they are special. I would make a slight edit to your statement above in my own experience of owning them...they did not seem difficult to drive so that the mid and upper range sound was beautiful and the upper to lower bass 'fulsome'...but yes, they did respond spectacularly when driven by amplification with a lot of current, and what I found in particular is that the sound extension, instrument separation, ease...and most notably the bass...took all the elements that make SF who they are...and added a discipline, a detail-level, a dynamic ease and a pure scale that is the dream of many SF lovers. But I drove them with a CJ MV60 for about a year or so, and the sound was wonderful.

As for SS amplification, I had great experience with Gryphon...though I would be inclined to stay at Colosseum or higher. I have read good things about Vitus and could well believe it would work. I am aware that Franco Serblin used Berning...so the Berning monos (yes, tubes...but apparently their design and how they drive the tubes are meant to allow the tubes to run for 20 years or so before requiring re-tubing?...so kinda SS in terms of maintenance perhaps). Yes, many people love Mcintosh though I have never tried myself. But as many have already said...you may not need to venture to these places when you have one of the top choices I could think of to drive these...your own CJ GAT/ART monos.

Congrats again...when do they arrive?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi joe,

I've heard a particularly good setup of Strads, with big Krell monoblocks (600) and a tube amp (VTL). That provides a good mix of SS edge and smoothness (tube amp, and the Strads themselves).

I think the 601s+Strads might be *too* smooth, but YMMV...

cheers,
alexandre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Solid move Joe. You might be surprised what the ART can do!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you Lloyd,

I know some here have already had them and moved on. I've heard many high resolution speakers and while technically perfect, they did not move me like these Strads can. I can't wait. I'm waiting for an update from the dealer. It's okay, I have to make some room. :)

I appreciate the kind words. Strads move me in a way no other speaker can. Hopefully, I'm done!

First of all, a big congratulations. In spite of your world class collection of audio equipment, I am not sure I have ever seen you pine away for one particular thing as much as these Strads. In a word, they are special. I would make a slight edit to your statement above in my own experience of owning them...they did not seem difficult to drive so that the mid and upper range sound was beautiful and the upper to lower bass 'fulsome'...but yes, they did respond spectacularly when driven by amplification with a lot of current, and what I found in particular is that the sound extension, instrument separation, ease...and most notably the bass...took all the elements that make SF who they are...and added a discipline, a detail-level, a dynamic ease and a pure scale that is the dream of many SF lovers. But I drove them with a CJ MV60 for about a year or so, and the sound was wonderful.

As for SS amplification, I had great experience with Gryphon...though I would be inclined to stay at Colosseum or higher. I have read good things about Vitus and could well believe it would work. I am aware that Franco Serblin used Berning...so the Berning monos (yes, tubes...but apparently their design and how they drive the tubes are meant to allow the tubes to run for 20 years or so before requiring re-tubing?...so kinda SS in terms of maintenance perhaps). Yes, many people love Mcintosh though I have never tried myself. But as many have already said...you may not need to venture to these places when you have one of the top choices I could think of to drive these...your own CJ GAT/ART monos.

Congrats again...when do they arrive?

Thank you Alexandre. I've had great luck with the GAT and MC601's, so I can mix 'n match until my hearts content.

Hi joe,

I've heard a particularly good setup of Strads, with big Krell monoblocks (600) and a tube amp (VTL). That provides a good mix of SS edge and smoothness (tube amp, and the Strads themselves).

I think the 601s+Strads might be *too* smooth, but YMMV...

cheers,
alexandre

Thank you Myles. The GAT/ART combo hooked me from the first note. My first experience with Strads was with a C500T/MC2301 combo and it stuck with me today. I know the GAT/ART combo will be that much more special. I've wanted the Strads forever.

Solid move Joe. You might be surprised what the ART can do!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you Lloyd,

I know some here have already had them and moved on. I've heard many high resolution speakers and while technically perfect, they did not move me like these Strads can. I can't wait. I'm waiting for an update from the dealer. It's okay, I have to make some room. :)

I appreciate the kind words. Strads move me in a way no other speaker can. Hopefully, I'm done!...

I am going to guess that you're being 'done' (as in 'DONE') will ultimately be more a function of whether you can/wish to continue looking for new things, than these particular speakers.

At the same time, given the level that you have reached...mountainous by any standard...I will also guess is that if someday you decide 'I no longer wish to dedicate the time or resources to new equipment'...you will surely find a lifetime of wonderful music and audiophile bliss with your current system of CJ GAT/ART Monos and SF Strads. Other than the monos which i have not heard (though i have owned CJ amps and 3 preamps)...i can personally say that rest of your equipment is that special, as is the combination.

Good luck.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

I appreciate the kind words. Strads move me in a way no other speaker can. Hopefully, I'm done!

Joe,

if the Strads are an 'i'm done' speaker, then maybe you need to cull the herd, retask those funds, and get an 'i'm done' amplifier.

i might suggest the darTZeel NHB-458's as a solid state choice without restrictions. it won't do 1 ohm happily, but it will handle anything else with ease. and i can tell you mated with the brand new dart preamp it is superb.

nothing wrong with playing the field if that is what you enjoy, but going all-in on one direction takes you further to my way of thinking.

YMMV

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you Mike,

Once I get the speakers in and I start playing around, I'll have a better feel for associated gear. Having had several Dartzeel amps and preamp, I can only imagine what you are experiencing in your room. I don't have nor expect to have a perfect dedicated room so spending for that last little bit may prove fruitless. I can and will make tweaks and improvements where I can. Thank you for your advice, I sincerely appreciate it.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thank you Mike,

Once I get the speakers in and I start playing around, I'll have a better feel for associated gear. Having had several Dartzeel amps and preamp, I can only imagine what you are experiencing in your room. I don't have nor expect to have a perfect dedicated room so spending for that last little bit may prove fruitless. I can and will make tweaks and improvements where I can. Thank you for your advice, I sincerely appreciate it.

what's funny about the 458's is how much better the 1st watt sounds than anything i've heard. one might assume that more modestly powered amps might compete in nuance. but to my ears they don't.

the 458's have that read-out on the front which shows continuous output and peak output. sure; my MM7's are easy loads....96db 6 ohm.....but most music is around 0-3 ('0' most of the time) watts continuous, and 5-10 watts peak. you might think that a 'continuous' 500 watt into 8 ohm amplifier (1100 watts into 2 ohms) is helpful for large, full scale music in a large room....and sure; it does that too. but the simplicity of the circuit combined with the power reserves supercharge the most subtle and low level musical bits and bring them alive. alot more alive.

none of that stuff has much to do with dedicated rooms, or large scale acoustics. it's relevant with any higher end gear, speakers or system.

and i would think that a speaker which presents a relatively tougher load than others will appreciate the combination of nuance and power reserves even more. the Strads would likely go to a new level with the 458's. and the 458's will make you 'mostly' forget about tubes with their naturalness.

i'm not saying you have to have the 458's. i'm only talking about that what they do does not require any huge room. i understand the price of admission will restrict the 458's to more typically uber-exotic systems. but high level gear like yours would get full benefit from them.

and i know you are familiar with darTZeel and it's character and figured you might be interested.

enjoy your Strads and i hope you find the perfect amp for them.

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Oh I've lusted for the 458's for a long time. If you see me liquidating some assets, you'll know why :)

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy

I heard the Hegel H30 and was very impressed. For the money, it will be impossible to beat. It gave my Spectral a good run for the money.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Joe,

I have driven my Strads so far with Gryphon Antileon Signature stereo than with MBL 9008A monos and finally since last 3 years with Soulution 710 stereo. I would say that so far thats the only SS that really can deliver what Strads are meant to be. In the meantime I have home auditioned Vitus stereo, Concert fidelity monos and D'agostiono monos. If you want a SS do consider Soulution even the 501 monos are great.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I've not heard it with Strads but the Sanders Magtech drives Cremonas and Auditor Ms beautifully.

I heard them with my Strads

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing