I'm retired. :)

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
Congrats on the retirement. Enjoy it in good health and good spirits.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Congrats on the retirement. Enjoy it in good health and good spirits.

Thank you very much same goes for you IF you are there.:(

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Seriously thinking of retiring as opposed to going back to work.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
IF you can afford to, better sooner than later life is short.

Agree, I retired after 37 1/2 with Bells Labs, AT&T and Lucent and enjoy life before it's too late. Case in point, a dear friend of mine's wife passed away 3 weeks ago she was 67. Her husband retired 6 years ago and fished , enjoyed music, camped and kayaked. She continued to work as she enjoyed her job.. They had plans when she retired next year to purchase a live aboard sail boat and travel as that was their dream. Well 3 weeks ago, while getting ready to take her grand kids school shopping she had a heart attack. It was a shock to all... Moral of the story, we don't know when that day will come, so enjoy life at its fullest and try to make some of your dreams come true.

I found it really doesn't take a lot of money to enjoy life, you might have to cut back a little, but if you have some savings, your health and health insurance and maybe even a pension you can really enjoy your retirement years.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
IF you can afford to, better sooner than later life is short.

I'm a very simple person and don't require much to survive. I've done a lot of things in my life, so my bucket list is pretty much taken care of. My focus in life right now is my own personal well-being from a physical and mental health perspective. I'll make a decision shortly.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Simplicity is the new wealth planning. Of course there is still some true wealth out there, but with more and more concentrated jn fewer hands, most of us will have to find simpler pleasures than European vacations and beachfront condos.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Agree, I retired after 37 1/2 with Bells Labs, AT&T and Lucent and enjoy life before it's too late. Case in point, a dear friend of mine's wife passed away 3 weeks ago she was 67. Her husband retired 6 years ago and fished , enjoyed music, camped and kayaked. She continued to work as she enjoyed her job.. They had plans when she retired next year to purchase a live aboard sail boat and travel as that was their dream. Well 3 weeks ago, while getting ready to take her grand kids school shopping she had a heart attack. It was a shock to all... Moral of the story, we don't know when that day will come, so enjoy life at its fullest and try to make some of your dreams come true.

Exactly why I am trying to convince my wife to retire. She (not unlike a lot of woman, apparently) struggles with financial insecurity. I think if our net worth were increased by $5,000,000 (if only :p), she would have the same struggle.

I sent her this post to reminder her that there is no guarantee that tomorrow will be yet another, but maybe slightly different, version of today. There are no guarantees, in fact, that we even get to celebrate tomorrow.

Thanks for the post!!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Congrates Tim. Happy to read it's your turn to enjoy what you want to do now. One key to along life is to stay busy and it sounds like you will be. At 57 I am too far to understand it. But I hate what I do for a living and want to do what I want . This apparently does not happen often enough. I have home in N.C. great state. But going from there to NYC drives me insane it's very much a compression and decompress as I do this with my family and We are planning to be full time and me a ping pong ball running our company.
Al

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Thanks, Al. You have a vacation home here? Mountains or beach? It is a wonderful place to live, though it gets easy to forget that in the dog days of summer.

Tim

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Exactly why I am trying to convince my wife to retire. She (not unlike a lot of woman, apparently) struggles with financial insecurity. I think if our net worth were increased by $5,000,000 (if only :p), she would have the same struggle.

I sent her this post to reminder her that there is no guarantee that tomorrow will be yet another, but maybe slightly different, version of today. There are no guarantees, in fact, that we even get to celebrate tomorrow.

Thanks for the post!!

If that post doesn't do it NOTHING will, i just hope for both of you that she understands, as long as you have enough money to live that's more than enough.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hahaha yes the summers. Imam either the water or the woods. Indidnthe water thing for about ten years dine with that.
The mountains sounds cool. But I am in the woods Ina little town called Youngsville . It was to be a winter house to get away from NYC winter. The world of mine changed that so at 57 I have a 7 year old to,raise . Long story why not what most will,think my present wife is same age as me. So not a trophy wife but the best I ever had . As you may imagine I do not want him raised here in NYC . It's so damn peaceful there. And the people hAve much more humanity in them . And America seems to be first and not the heritage . As I am an American of Italian descent but American first.
But I do very much appreciate the wealth of many peoples cultures too.
Enjoy your new journey and don't wonder what's left none of us know for sure anyway right. But I am glad you got there .
Maybe some day we can hang a little .
Al

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I took the plunge a few weeks ago and decided to fully retire! I'm 61. Going to take a year off and do "me" stuff. After that I'll look at perhaps doing some volunteer work for the Salvation Army and maybe a p/t job somewhere to keep me busy and for pocket money. I've initiated a planned move to Calgary and will be staying with my twin-sister and brother-in-law, until I find a place of my own. I could have stayed, but I really miss my family and feel a strong need to be with them. 20 years of solitude is enough. No more Christmas, New year, Easter and Thanksgiving by myself!

I'm very happy with my decision and look forward to the next several decades with great anticipation!

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I took the plunge a few weeks ago and decided to fully retire! I'm 61. Going to take a year off and do "me" stuff. After that I'll look at perhaps doing some volunteer work for the Salvation Army and maybe a p/t job somewhere to keep me busy and for pocket money. I've initiated a planned move to Calgary and will be staying with my twin-sister and brother-in-law, until I find a place of my own. I could have stayed, but I really miss my family and feel a strong need to be with them. 20 years of solitude is enough. No more Christmas, New year, Easter and Thanksgiving by myself!

I'm very happy with my decision and look forward to the next several decades with great anticipation!

Congrats! on your retirement and all the BEST for your new journey, life is about enjoying!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
All the best to retirement. I am retired already but run my company so I am not sure I count.
Enjoy your life being retired must mean something but being alive and healthy means much more.
Al

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Congrats! on your retirement and all the BEST for your new journey, life is about enjoying!
Thanks David! I truly intend on enjoying it. Might even take up golf again.

All the best to retirement. I am retired already but run my company so I am not sure I count.
Enjoy your life being retired must mean something but being alive and healthy means much more.
Al
Thanks AL! Getting more active is one of my main goals. I've already started walking twice a day and I'm looking to get a bike in the Spring. I'll be less than an hour from Banff, and the walk around the Lake is gorgeous.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Congrats Tim, so many things out there to enjoy, keeping a fresh and open mind will open new options for you while you make the journey with great music around!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing