I'm retired. :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
This has been in the works for a while, I just haven't said anything. I just turned in my badge, my Pcard, my iPhone and my laptop, and walked out of that office for the last time. I'm now officially a ward of the welfare state, collecting Social Security, buying insurance through the ACA exchange and waiting for Medicare to kick in. :)

I don't golf, but North Carolina is fat with high-end "active adult" communities that hire entertainers. I've been working on sets full of standards from the 30s, 40s and 50s. I'll be building a mailing list and a web site, and with a little luck, I'll be very busy soon, and, for the first time in decades, playing music full time. I won't make a lot of money doing it, but fortunately I've reached a point where making a lot of money is not the point. I intend to have a lot of fun! I'm doing this a little early - I just turned 63 - but it was definitely time. The politics have been getting bad at the office, and I've completely lost my patience for it. Had I not retired now, I probably would've gotten myself fired soon enough. :)

Tim

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
This has been in the works for a while, I just haven't said anything. I just turned in my badge, my Pcard, my iPhone and my laptop, and walked out of that office for the last time. I'm now officially a ward of the welfare state, collecting Social Security, buying insurance through the ACA exchange and waiting for Medicare to kick in. :)

I don't golf, but North Carolina is fat with high-end "active adult" communities that hire entertainers. I've been working on sets full of standards from the 30s, 40s and 50s. I'll be building a mailing list and a web site, and with a little luck, I'll be very busy soon, and, for the first time in decades, playing music full time. I won't make a lot of money doing it, but fortunately I've reached a point where making a lot of money is not the point. I intend to have a lot of fun! I'm doing this a little early - I just turned 63 - but it was definitely time. The politics have been getting bad at the office, and I've completely lost my patience for it. Had I not retired now, I probably would've gotten myself fired soon enough. :)

Tim

Tim,

It sounds like your ready. Retirement is great especially if you have hobbies. I have friends who play music in resturaunts,bars,ect and they love it,especially meeting the people. Good luck.

p.s. What took so long:D

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Tim

Tim..

I retired for the 2nd time this past May. It was a pretty sweet gig doing power distribution consulting from my home office but like you the thrill was gone...long gone. I have all sorts of hobbies besides audio and never seem to have enough time. I've got you by 3 years and am on the SS/Medicare float...it's hell getting old..

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Congratulations Tim! I'm so glad to hear that you're now able to devote your attention to being a full-time musician. Let us know when you've signed that new label contract!

All the very best!:D

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Congrats! What instrument(s) do you play?

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Enjoy it Tim, have fun.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats and enjoy!!! Play hard! You've earned it...;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congrats Tim. I retired early and it has definitely been great to not have obligations for a ton of meetings and such.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations Tim. In Europe, most countries are postponing retirement - for every year we work full retirement is getting farther away! :(

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Congratulations Tim. In Europe, most countries are postponing retirement - for every year we work full retirement is getting farther away! :(

Micro

Now he will have all the time to spar with you endlessly. Something I don't absolutely do.. Agreeing most of the time with you ;)

Congrats Tim.. You are not retired .. You are working on/with/for your own life now ... A much better/worthwhile endeavor ...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm officially envious! I've set the end of 2020 as the last day I will be willing to work but I certainly hope I'm done before that (since I'd be almost 68 by then). OTOH, I shouldn't complain since I haven't worked more than part-time for almost 15 yrs.

I don't think I would worry about any members at this forum getting bored in "retirement" ;)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Congrats, Tim! :D
I have 3-5 more years...kinda sounds like I'm in the slammer :eek:

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
way to go Tim. i pulled the plug on 4/1/2014 just for gits and shiggles and havent missed the job or regretted the decision for a second. give em hell!

Odysseus

Jun 2, 2012
San Antonio, TX
How funny, what a coincidence! I semi-retired at the age of 40 on 4/1/2013! I have since started a Master in Business Administration and an audio company... I guess I'm not really semi-retired like I thought, but I don't regret it for one second. =)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing