REW with EMM6 and Mytek DSD/DAC

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
How does one set up REW when using an outboard USB mic (Dayton EMM6) and an outboard DAC (Mytek 192 DSD mastering version), in terms of the soundcard 'loopback' calibration? Normal practice is to connect soundcard output straight back into the input, but I can't find a discussion that expands on the use of an external DAC.

Connection chain is USB mic ---> Lenovo Laptop ---> Mytek DAC

Tom B.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
There is no difference to using an external DAC vs internal sound card. You still loop from the output to the input. However, this doesn't really provide accurate results since the input is usually rolled off on the bottom end and there is an impedance mismatch between the input and output. You really just want the output frequency response. Any modern DAC is completely flat from 20k-20kHz which exceeds the capabilities of the EMM6 anyways. You really don't need a loopback calibration loaded - especially with the Mytek 192.

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
The mastering version of the Mytek 192 omits line inputs in favor of SDIF DSD inputs, which negates the possibility of loopback; I hadn't thought that far. Difficulties setting up the new laptop prevented me from taking any measurements last night, but perhaps tonight we'll get a but further.

Thank you for the helpful reply.

Tom

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Wayne-

Yup, good catch. It is a UMM-6.

Tom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wayne-

Yup, good catch. It is a UMM-6.

Tom

Did you download the individual calibration file from the microphone manufacturer site? As far as I remember it is the only calibration needed when using the UMM-6 with REW.

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Did you download the individual calibration file from the microphone manufacturer site? As far as I remember it is the only calibration needed when using the UMM-6 with REW.

Yes, I downloaded the file after purchasing the mic. Hooked it up tonight and managed to take a bunch of measurements, although I suspect none of that was done entirely correctly. Practice will improve...either that or I'll have to consult with one of the forum REW gurus.

Playing with my sub controls, I was able to make small adjustments and see the changes reflected on each measurement, and actually managed to improve the curve a bit.

Quite the useful tool...

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing