Doing an A/B test on the Typhon

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The other day while listening to the stereo I focused on the Typhon and started wondering if it was doing anything. There is no LED on it to indicate it is operational, so for all I know it is just sitting there.

Mine is plugged into the Triton for my front end gear, and I started to wonder if I could just unplug it while music was playing and observe any difference then plug it back in and check for any difference. On the other hand, I am not that curious if that could possibly break something. So I am wondering if anyone has done this, or something similar.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
The other day while listening to the stereo I focused on the Typhon and started wondering if it was doing anything. There is no LED on it to indicate it is operational, so for all I know it is just sitting there.

Mine is plugged into the Triton for my front end gear, and I started to wonder if I could just unplug it while music was playing and observe any difference then plug it back in and check for any difference. On the other hand, I am not that curious if that could possibly break something. So I am wondering if anyone has done this, or something similar.

Since the Typhon seems to operate in parallel to the Triton, I would just mute your system and unplug it.

At the risk of violating a warning I got about posting in this forum, I tried the $195. SR VD and after letting it burn in, I tried unplugging it and replugging, and it did nothing to improve the SQ in my system.

Sent it back for a refund and won't waste my time trying other SR products.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The instructions which comes with the Typhon suggests that the best way to A/B it in the system is to play music with it in the system and then merely unplug the Typhon's umbilical and then listen without, rather than listening without the Typhon first as it takes time to hear the full effect the other way. I've done this test and I can assure you that what I heard sonically without the Typhon vs with the Typhon is something that I cannot go back to. I have three Typhons in my system and for me it was without question one of the best upgrades I have ever made to my system

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Since the Typhon seems to operate in parallel to the Triton, I would just mute your system and unplug it.

At the risk of violating a warning I got about posting in this forum, I tried the $195. SR VD and after letting it burn in, I tried unplugging it and replugging, and it did nothing to improve the SQ in my system.

Where's LeeS to chime in on this?
IME the VD has an effect, it does depend which outlet and which components.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
You should definitely be able to tell the difference especially over more then a single listening session. I have never done any noise reduction where my sound stage and image did not expand. Clarity,speed,tonal purity,dynamics will improve.
Depending on the degree of NR it will even reset your system much like a complete cable change.

p.s. NR most dramatic effect can be heard in the mid bass and bass frequencys...so listen for that.

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

The Shunyata Research Venom Defender was created for the Venom PS8 power distributor. The Venom PS8 was designed as a simple but high quality AC outlet strip that had no surge protection circuitry or noise circuits. Many people wanted to expand the number of outlets for their Hydra (or other power conditioner) without compromising the quality. And some people prefer the sound quality of a power distributor that does not contain surge protection or noise reduction circuits.

Then, there are those people that DO want surge protection and noise reduction. The Venom Defender was designed as an add-on product that provides 20K amps of surge protection and some noise reduction. It was designed primarily for the PS8 but can also be used for remotely located audio components that don't need a dedicated power conditioner.

If you have no need for surge protection at the outlet then you would not need the Venom Defender. If there is no noise on your power line then you would not notice a difference when plugging in the Defender. It is also NOT a replacement for a dedicated power conditioner and should not be compared with one. There is only so much we can accomplish in a $200 product that is less than the size of the palm of your hand.

Since most people can hear the effects of surge protection circuits (in a negative way) and "jap" hears no difference when using the Defender - I would consider that an positive statement. Although he clearly doesn't see it that way.

Clearly we can't please ALL the people ALL of the time.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

Yes, you can plug and unplug the TYPHON without powering down the system. You also do not need to mute the system as there will be no switching transients when doing so.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Okay. Thank you. I just might give this a try Friday night.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Bud, did you ever try this?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
No, I never got around to it. Maybe after I get my speakers back, and am comfortable with the sound of the new tweeter and mid-range.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
No, I never got around to it. Maybe after I get my speakers back, and am comfortable with the sound of the new tweeter and mid-range.

Its a very quick and easily run test with easily discernible differences. You might be surprised

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I keep meaning to try it (I have two Typhons) but haven't yet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing