Desert Island stereo cartridge

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hello
picking up the desert island theme again........
what is your desert island stereo cartridge and why?
mine is probably Rowland Complement or Breuer EMT
chosen for their dynamics and realism
what is life without dynamics and harmonics?
give it a go pls....
best
Leif

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If I had to choose one, it would be my Koetsu Coralstone followed very closely by my Dynavector XV1t. It does everything right for my listening tastes.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
ok :confused:
cant see a single arm or tt?
only source(tape and dac), carts(no arms), amps,speakers,cables and isolation
best
Leif

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ortofon MC Anna would be my desert island cartridge; mounted on the Durand Telos Sapphire tonearm and Wave Kinetics tt sitting on a Herzan TS-140 active isolation shelf. the Anna would play thru the newly designed phono section of 'new' darTZeel NHB-18NS battery powered dart preamp.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020&openmine&zzMikelavigne&4&5

i love the Anna for it's combination of naturalness, transparency, lack of distortion, ease, microdynamic livelyness, complex tonal shading, neutrality yet brings plenty of body and substance, bass articulation, bloom, and overall musical flow. it's an ultimate transducer which escapes that sense of being part of the reproduction chain and ventures into the realm of reality.

i've evolved into a mostly classical music listener; the Anna is superb with solo piano, solo volin, any sort of string quartet or chamber music and is able to render full on orchestral works with ease. i'm also a huge jazz fan and love the way the Anna does any horn or drum kit. it will also boggie with the best of them whether ZZ Top, or LZ, or anything you want to throw at it.

to my ears solo classical piano is the most demanding for any vinyl front end as there is no place to hide. it's more the whole chain of pieces that must be right for the piano to be fully there. the Anna does it's part to nail it.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
thxs for interesting reply
only Scandi contender I guess, unless you count Stig Inge of Lyra in, as the Norwegian he really is....:D
amplification and speakers pls?
just to try and understand your preferences.......
best
Leif

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
thxs for interesting reply
only Scandi contender I guess, unless you count Stig Inge of Lyra in, as the Norwegian he really is....:D
amplification and speakers pls?
just to try and understand your preferences.......
best
Leif

are you asking this to me?

if so my audiogon link i posted will explain about the whole system.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
If I had to choose one, it would be my Koetsu Coralstone followed very closely by my Dynavector XV1t. It does everything right for my listening tastes.

Wow, those are polar opposites, are they not? Koestu colored, Dynavector transparent?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Wow, those are polar opposites, are they not? Koestu colored, Dynavector transparent?

Koetsu colored ?...not the Coralstone nor the Tiger Eye...both of which I have.
I have the XV-1t...That cart sounds closest to tape playback in my experience. It is very extended throughout the frequency range, fast, transparent. It is not an XV-1s...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Koetsu colored ?...not the Coralstone nor the Tiger Eye...both of which I have.
I have the XV-1t...That cart sounds closest to tape playback in my experience. It is very extended throughout the frequency range, fast, transparent. It is not an XV-1s...

Pardon my ignorance. I've only heard one Koetsu and and between that and everything I've read, I thought their thing was lush tube-like presentation.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I like the Denon 103R if I have to pick just one...
For a multi-arm set-up (which would be a most in a desert island) I would add a Koetsu Blue and a Dynavector XV1s
arms? - a unipivot (Scheu or Naim), a pivoted/bladed /SME V or Triplanar) and a vintage (Fidelity Research or SAEC).

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I really liked the Triplanar...until I switched to the ATR
Yeah, many people refer to the 103R...got to be a reason.....
best
Leif

Hotstamper

Jul 31, 2014
(Lest I be considered old-fashioned) the EMT TSD-15 (SFL), or the (Decca) London Reference.
Either of which are hardy enough to withstand those tradewinds and the occasional typhoon.
No, wait, the London first.
On second thought, the EMT.
Wait....

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I have a friend that tried Koetsu coralstone as well as Ikeda Kai. He loves the midrange of Koetsu but felt that Kai is more dynamic. I heard Kai in audioexotics & love what I heard . I don't listen to vocal pieces as much as I listened to Jazz & classical . Just sold a koetsu coralstone & have another . So was wondering whether I should sell my remaining koetsu to buy Kai . Feedback appreciated

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing