Alan interviews Hideaki-san :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We touched on the topic last November in Tokyo. Nishikawa-san let slip more with Alan than with me. All he told me was that he had "ideas" and gave me a knowing smile. :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Great interview. Thanks for posting Jack. How about that Air Force Zero discussion ?

I'm betting you're chomping at the bit to get this one! :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hahahahahaha! I do know someone that is. I think I actually coined the name for him. Not for me though. HN does have some projects up his sleeve that I am excited about for sure. Sorry guys, gag order issued!

The product that is getting no attention is the TechDAS D7i Supreme DAC. Despite the lack of press and lack of TechDAS's own marketing support, I've already sold three on the strength of their demo performance. One of these was supposed to be a personal unit. I've already ordered re-stocks, one of which I am definitely keeping for myself.

Are you reading this Bob? You got a winner there, take advantage. ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes I am Christian. Grab an extra wand and go for it. It is a very coherent transducer that pulls you in but can also make you jump out of your seat.

My Elite is finally in my possession but my HVAC is down in my listening room. BUMMER!!!!!! Mounting the arm and the three carts for the three wands will have to wait until I get back again from the US. I'll be getting the TD Ti too.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Apparently the same motor but different cantilever and body. The COI is duralumin + duralumin while the Ti is Titanium + Boron. The price difference should be 2k or less. Both share the finite element analysis derived egg shape. Looks wise I think I still like the terminator coating of the COI more. As for the sound, there's some language barrier issues. I guess I'll have to listen for myself.

The Ultra Eminent BC (Now EX) was always one of my favorite carts. The COI has essentially the same character but is weightier in the bottom. Somewhere between the BC and the AirTight Supreme. I expect the Ti to be again in between the new top MySonic and the new top Airtight. I wish PeterA could get a hold of one to see how the three brothers compare.

I'll be a busy guy when I get back. I've yet to mount my Gold Finger S, mount the Atlas on one of the other spares and on the last wand will go the Ti.

The Phantom 2 will have the XV-1t, MYSonic and Proteus. I think I need to see a shrink.

Major bummer. The standard length Triplanar U2 cannot be mounted on the AF1. It is my favorite arm for the Koetsu :(

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

Thanks Jack.

HN: The TechDAS Air Force One offers a duralumin, stainless steel, or methacrylate platter. All three can incorporate the vacuum or not.

For me, stainless steel has the best low frequency performance and is like American turntables, where the methacrylate is brighter, like German players. I prefer duralumin, because it has the best dynamic range.

Interesting: It appears the turntable designer prefers the duralumin for the better dynamic range.

Dre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Don't thank me Dre, it was Alan who did the interview. It was my pleasure to post it however :)

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Don't thank me Dre, it was Alan who did the interview. It was my pleasure to post it however :)

Well it was an implied thanks for posting the link. So, I'll say it again. Thanks Jack! :)

Alan's questions weren't bad either. If you are around the forum, thanks for the Q&A Alan. :)

Dre

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks Jack.

Interesting: It appears the turntable designer prefers the duralumin for the better dynamic range.

Dre

I took issue with that. I feel the SS platter gets deeper and is more dynamic. I don't use the poron mat as I feel it unbalances the sound..ie: mutes the mids a bit so the highs seem less coherent and accentuated. My duralumin platter came with the mat glued completely to the platter so I fear it cannot be removed w/o destroying it. The mats are $150. My SS came with the mat off. In fact it is not necessary to glue it down as the record coupled with the vacuum tightens everything up. I am able to A/B compare quite easily this way. I wonder if Nishakawa-san uses a mat on the duralumin? Mats imo impart their own sound flavor due to the feedback loop, imo.

PS: I want to extend my apologies for throwing your well written and very informative article on cart setup off. I did not mean to come off with the impression that discounts your procedures.
regards..

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Dre

It might be a consequence of the translation. Motofumi is Nishikawa-san's usual translator. Katsuhiko's English is not as good.

When I spent time with Nishikawa-san, I thought that he said that the duralumin has the best balance of dynamic range. Stainless steel emphasizes the dynamic range down into the bass, methacrylate balances it upwards. Frequency response is still 'flat' - the material of the platter changes how the dynamics are emphasized.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Apparently the same motor but different cantilever and body. The COI is duralumin + duralumin while the Ti is Titanium + Boron.

The Ultra Eminent BC (Now EX) was always one of my favorite carts. The COI has essentially the same character but is weightier in the bottom. Somewhere between the BC and the AirTight Supreme. I expect the Ti to be again in between the new top MySonic and the new top Airtight. I wish PeterA could get a hold of one to see how the three brothers compare.

:(

Hi Jack,

I have just mounted and aligned a My Sonics Labs Signature Gold to compare with my Air Tight Supreme. The MSL only had 15-20 hours on it when I installed it, so it has some more breaking in to do before I do any serious listening.

Interestingly, the MSL has a duralumin cantilever while the AirTight has a boron one. I carefully checked all of the mounting dimensions of the two cartridges, and they seem identical within the abilities of my digital calipers and eyesight, so there were almost no initial changes to the arm settings.

There are some photos on my WBF system link below showing close ups of the alignment with the MINT LP protractor. I'll post my observations in a few weeks.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, I'm teasing you, but did you not say the same thing about the ClearAudio Master Innovation? We all say, or think, such things.

Keep in mind that the performance of my AF1 is even superior to that of Nishakawa-sans (No disrespect) as he does not have active isolation. It is a significant audible improvement with active isolation. Many times I have forgotten to turn the Table Stable on....only to realize the sound isn't as transparent, quiet and defined as I remembered. I look over to the TT and see the Table Stable off. When I hit the button, the magic comes back.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Keep in mind that the performance of my AF1 is even superior to that of Nishakawa-sans (No disrespect) as he does not have active isolation. It is a significant audible improvement with active isolation. Many times I have forgotten to turn the Table Stable on....only to realize the sound isn't as transparent, quiet and defined as I remembered. I look over to the TT and see the Table Stable off. When I hit the button, the magic comes back.

Exactly my point, Christian. You had thought the CA Master Innovation was fantastic and the end of your search, until you got the Tech Das. It became your new reference within a year or two. The addition of the third layer of isolation only improved the TechDas further. There may well be an even better turntable in a few years. I'm just saying....

Have you heard Nishakawa-san's table? Does he use the same cartridge/arm/cable that you do? I've seen lots of photos with different arms on that table.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing