Bergmann Sleipner

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm 2 weeks with the Bergmann Sleipner in my system, I am using Transfiguration Proteus cartridge and Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage.

I was very impressed with the system of air compression and vacuum. It seems that the cartridge was literally floating on the disc, lowering the noise level of the system. This analog system is the quietest I've heard today, my setup is playing to its fullest and find it hard to overcome achieve this result.

Had anyone any experience with this turntable?

I'm using XLR connection on the turntable and LEMO connection on Legato Legacy. In your opinion, RCA connection on the turntable would be better to XLR? The circuit of Legato Legacy is fully balanced and dualmono.

Some pictures:

Sistema 01.jpg

Sistema 02.jpg

Sistema 07.jpg

Best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My mouth waters every time I see the design of your table. Your room is mouth watering too. It looks like it can be an entry in CASA COR.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Jack,

thank you very much for your nice words. :)

I love the CASA COR, I was the last that occurred last year here in Rio de Janeiro.

Nice regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

Joao@altheamusica

Sep 20, 2010
Oi Ricardo

nice system you have - congratulation. I think the Lemo connectors to be the best you can get :)
Would be nice if we can meet us when I'm in Rio next time. In which district do you live; I love Jardim Botanico and Leblon. Unfortunately my beloved record store (Modern Sound) is closed...

Ate proxima é boa sorte para o selecao brasilira.
Joao

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Oi Joao,

thanks for your comment.

I heard from a friend that the XLR connection of the turntable is not ideal, RCA would be better. I got this question and would like to hear from you about it.

Most phono stage uses RCA connection, few phono stage using other connection types such as XLR, LEMO, etc...

When you next come to RJ, send me a message and we combine a meet. Where are you form?

The Brazilian team will need luck, as it comes not playing well. :)

Best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Garth,

thanks!!!!!!

trueblue

Jan 23, 2013
If you wish to run balanced you can not use RCA. For balanced use, Lemo connectors are offering a superior connection compared to XLR XLR

Joao@altheamusica

Sep 20, 2010
Oi Joao,

thanks for your comment.

I heard from a friend that the XLR connection of the turntable is not ideal, RCA would be better. I got this question and would like to hear from you about it.

Most phono stage uses RCA connection, few phono stage using other connection types such as XLR, LEMO, etc...

When you next come to RJ, send me a message and we combine a meet. Where are you form?

The Brazilian team will need luck, as it comes not playing well. :)

Best regards,
Ricardo Nonato.

Caro Ricardo

there exist different opinions about the "real" connection of the turntable - better said cartridge to phono stage. Cartridges are a symmetrical source and so XLR connectors can be the better way of course - if your phono input is really symmetrical (for example a MC-Stepup-transformer). In the end it's a matter of combination and you have to experiment and find out by yourself...

I use a MC-Transformer and RCA-Connectors, but with LEMO because I find them the best connectors. Anyway, I will experiment with symmetrical inputs as well and then I can tell you more.

Entao, I will send you a message when I will return to RJ - eu ador a cidade maravilhosa. My frind Carlos Alberto just closed his audio distribution, Tone Audio, some months ago. I met the owners of Audio Pax at the Munich High-End show... and last: I love Bossa Nova.

I live in Switzerland and if you are welcome here as well. You can send me an e-Mail - info@altheamusica.com - and we can keep in touch...

Let's have a look on Friday for the quarter final (I'm a fan of the selecao)!!! and keep our fingers crossed.

Kind regards
Joao

trueblue

Jan 23, 2013
There are 2 different subjects at play here.

1. Using a balanced phonostage or a traditional single ended phono stage ?

2. IF using a balanced phonostage, should you use XLR or Lemo. ?

IMHO, 3 pin balanced Lemo is a much better connector for such low signal transfer.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Caro Ricardo

there exist different opinions about the "real" connection of the turntable - better said cartridge to phono stage. Cartridges are a symmetrical source and so XLR connectors can be the better way of course - if your phono input is really symmetrical (for example a MC-Stepup-transformer). In the end it's a matter of combination and you have to experiment and find out by yourself...

I use a MC-Transformer and RCA-Connectors, but with LEMO because I find them the best connectors. Anyway, I will experiment with symmetrical inputs as well and then I can tell you more.

Entao, I will send you a message when I will return to RJ - eu ador a cidade maravilhosa. My frind Carlos Alberto just closed his audio distribution, Tone Audio, some months ago. I met the owners of Audio Pax at the Munich High-End show... and last: I love Bossa Nova.

I live in Switzerland and if you are welcome here as well. You can send me an e-Mail - info@altheamusica.com - and we can keep in touch...

Let's have a look on Friday for the quarter final (I'm a fan of the selecao)!!! and keep our fingers crossed.

Kind regards
Joao

Dear Joao,

the connection of my cartridge / turntable is XLR and the connection of my phono stage is LEMO, in my opinion the Gryphon products benefit the most of the XLR connection because your circuits is fully balanced and dual mono.

I put this question because I have a friend who tested the Bergmann Sleipner with Gryphon Legato Legacy SA in his system and told me he liked the phono stage very digital. I did not realize that the Gryphon Legato Legacy SA is digital in my system, on the contrary, I think it's one of the best analog combinations that I had the opportunity to hear.

I have a cable that was made especially for use in the Sleipner and Legacy Legato. One end is XLR and the other end is LEMO.

Carlos Alberto was also my friend, but unfortunately he died a short time, as well as died Eduardo de Lima who was the founder of Audiopax. They were two deep knowledge of audio systems, tubes, etc.

Your email is noted. My email: ric_macosx@hotmail.com

And the Brazilian team go to the next stage. ;)

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
If you wish to run balanced you can not use RCA. For balanced use, Lemo connectors are offering a superior connection compared to XLR XLR

;)

I'm using XLR on the turntable and LEMO on phono stage.

rnsa2000

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2012
Ricardo

I use a XLR on my phono cable Going into the Balanced Phono amp a Burmester 100 the other end of the phono cable due to the fact I have a Tri-planner arm is hard wired thru the arm up to the cartridge. I have a all balanced system and I like it better than RCA no grounding problems cables seem to stay put better.

You need to try what works for you if RCA sounds better fine if XLR sounds better fine use what works in your system. Each system has its own personality why something works or does not work is only explainable some of the time. The rest is luck a mystery or someone saying they know why but often they just took a shot in the dark.

I like to put something in my system if it is not horrid leave for a week or so then take it out for a week or so if you can not live without it you have your answer. So many things sound different and that is easy to hear better is a little harder because is it better or a trade off.

Rocketman is right a very clean looking table it was one on my short list before I bought.

Garth,

I'm loving the result of this analog set (Gryphon Legato Legacy SA + Transfiguration + Protheus Bergmann Sleipner). I would just like to know what others think about the XLR and RCA connections on the turntable and phono stage.

Your feedback is very important to me because I realize that I'm walking a good way.

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

Last edited:

Joao@altheamusica

Sep 20, 2010
There are 2 different subjects at play here.
1. Using a balanced phonostage or a traditional single ended phono stage ?
2. IF using a balanced phonostage, should you use XLR or Lemo. ?
IMHO, 3 pin balanced Lemo is a much better connector for such low signal transfer.

I agree here with you...
another choice is using a MC-Transformer with balanced primary followed by a single ended phono stage!

Joao@altheamusica

Sep 20, 2010
Dear Joao,

the connection of my cartridge / turntable is XLR and the connection of my phono stage is LEMO, in my opinion the Gryphon products benefit the most of the XLR connection because your circuits is fully balanced and dual mono.

I put this question because I have a friend who tested the Bergmann Sleipner with Gryphon Legato Legacy SA in his system and told me he liked the phono stage very digital. I did not realize that the Gryphon Legato Legacy SA is digital in my system, on the contrary, I think it's one of the best analog combinations that I had the opportunity to hear.

I have a cable that was made especially for use in the Sleipner and Legacy Legato. One end is XLR and the other end is LEMO.

Carlos Alberto was also my friend, but unfortunately he died a short time, as well as died Eduardo de Lima who was the founder of Audiopax. They were two deep knowledge of audio systems, tubes, etc.

Your email is noted. My email: ric_macosx@hotmail.com

And the Brazilian team go to the next stage. ;)

Nice regards,
Ricardo.

Dear Ricardo

of course the balanced mode is a benefit when your phono is real balanced design and in my opinion the Lemo conenctors are the best available - a good choice from Gryphon, but not common (which is XLR). Maybe it will b a good idea to convetr the XLR to Lemo as well...

I have designed a special phono stage with JFets and interstage transformer coupling of stages, absolutely quiet at 72dB gain. Sounds really great and very close to my tube versions.

It's always sad to loose friends - I noticed that Eduardo passed away but I was not informed that Carlos Alberto died as well (just was surprised that he didn't responsed my notes).
I am so sad... can you send me an e-Mail with some details?

Kind regards
Joao

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Oops wrong thread sorry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing