Is It Me...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
assuming that ATR Services did their complete rebuild on the machine, that is what an ATR-102 runs now. and that is if they have one. and considering what other 'fully refurbed' tape decks are running $12k is a bargain. I've seen people spend over $15k on 'massaged' prosumer machines that won't touch an ATR-102.

if you find one that had this done a few (3-5) years ago then maybe around $9k-$10k is the range.

which does not mean that one might come on the market for less.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I think it's probably worth 6 to 8K but when considering that playback only audiophile decks push 20k who the hell knows anymore. I'm probably low...8K

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Myles offer 10K shipped to your door and tell your beatiful new bride it is a belated wedding present to her.:D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles offer 10K shipped to your door and tell your beatiful new bride it is a belated wedding present to her.:D

Don't give me any ideas! :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
assuming that ATR Services did their complete rebuild on the machine, that is what an ATR-102 runs now. and that is if they have one. and considering what other 'fully refurbed' tape decks are running $12k is a bargain. I've seen people spend over $15k on 'massaged' prosumer machines that won't touch an ATR-102.

if you find one that had this done a few (3-5) years ago then maybe around $9k-$10k is the range.

which does not mean that one might come on the market for less.

Thanks Mike. I know Harry Weisfeld picked up an ARIA equipped machine for less about a year ago but maybe it's, as you suggest, an older machine.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I paid $14k for a new Aria machine in '07 and kept it a couple of years. Sold it for the same price I paid. Had another in here for a few months. Don't know what all the hype is about. The Studers got used 90% of the time. Just another flavor that I didn't like.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I owned a stock ATR-102 for 6 years......and had a few other top decks thru the room during that time. it's my favorite sounding deck stock. maybe the A-820 with the stock OTL card is as good. the A80 is also very good stock.....although I've not lived with one. I know Bruce really likes it.

and ATR-102 is as fine a transport as there is....and that is from an owner of 2 Studer A-820's.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
I owned a stock ATR-102 for 6 years......and had a few other top decks thru the room during that time. it's my favorite sounding deck stock. maybe the A-820 with the stock OTL card is as good. the A80 is also very good stock.....although I've not lived with one. I know Bruce really likes it.

and ATR-102 is as fine a transport as there is....and that is from an owner of 2 Studer A-820's.

I will agree with Mike's assessment of the ATR-102. Great sounding stock deck & the transport performs perfect.. Add the Aria & you take it to another level.
Of course I do understand everyone's flavor may be different & that's fine, but don't sell this deck short in my opinion.

Rocketman is correct, I have seen this deck listed before as well.
If it is what he says in the ad, I would say the price is not out of line, all things considered & compared to other decks now being offered.

I own & use the Studer A-820 / Doshi, the Studer A-80, & the ATR-102 -Aria. They all perform extremely well stock & with the upgraded pre's. Well ;) ya know!
The question comes down to what you want to spend & what level you want to achieve.
Most used machines on e-bay, ect. all need some work / calibration, so $$ will be spent regardless. The days of good $2000 to $3000 tape decks maybe gone.

Gary

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Myles you should walk over to 353 West 48th Street FL B and see Dan.I bet he could fix you up with something nice and not cost a fortune I would bet he would do a layaway,so the little lady would be happy too.;)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I will agree with Mike's assessment of the ATR-102. Great sounding stock deck & the transport performs perfect.. Add the Aria & you take it to another level.
Of course I do understand everyone's flavor may be different & that's fine, but don't sell this deck short in my opinion.

Rocketman is correct, I have seen this deck listed before as well.
If it is what he says in the ad, I would say the price is not out of line, all things considered & compared to other decks now being offered.

I own & use the Studer A-820 / Doshi, the Studer A-80, & the ATR-102 -Aria. They all perform extremely well stock & with the upgraded pre's. Well ;) ya know!
The question comes down to what you want to spend & what level you want to achieve.
Most used machines on e-bay, ect. all need some work / calibration, so $$ will be spent regardless. The days of good $2000 to $3000 tape decks maybe gone.

Gary

Gary....glad to see you finally got that A820:)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles you should walk over to 353 West 48th Street FL B and see Dan.I bet he could fix you up with something nice and not cost a fortune I would bet he would do a layaway,so the little lady would be happy too.;)

Roger, it's not the money. There's absolutely no space for the machine! :(

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I would buy this ATR but I'm done collecting tape decks, -2- A-820's are enough....one for 1/4" and one for 1/2".

I spent a few days with a 'pristine' stock ATR Services ATR-102 at the Newport show and it sounded heavenly. I was very impressed.

I cannot imagine a better piece of audio source gear for $12k....or maybe at any price. bar none! not that the right software is cheap.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Thanks Myles,

Dan just started on it,so no hurry,but a visit might be fun. Dan is the tech for Sear Sound which was founded by Walter Sear. It is one of the great studios left in NYC. The studio is above Dan in the same building.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010

Roger,

I've exchanged e-mails with Dan...no more A810's, presently :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing