new Beatles analog sourced mono pressings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Best played with the Beatles "white" mono cartridge.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I can't afford to buy a dedicated MONO cartridge, but I have a MONO setting on my preamp. Would this suffice somewhat?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I can't afford to buy a dedicated MONO cartridge, but I have a MONO setting on my preamp. Would this suffice somewhat?

you won't need the mono setting on your preamp with a stereo cartridge playing mono records. a mono setting would allow you to spread the mono signal to both channels equally if you only had one channel input. your stereo cartridge will give you 2 equal channels already.

so just enjoy these great pressings.

not all mono pressings sound better with a mono cartridge, but most do.

you can search for more info on the reasons why mono cartridges have advantages on mono pressings and what those advantages are if you are interested.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
you won't need the mono setting on your preamp with a stereo cartridge playing mono records. a mono setting would allow you to spread the mono signal to both channels equally if you only had one channel input. your stereo cartridge will give you 2 equal channels already.

so just enjoy these great pressings.

not all mono pressings sound better with a mono cartridge, but most do.

you can search for more info on the reasons why mono cartridges have advantages on mono pressings and what those advantages are if you are interested.

Thanks Mike! I'll do some digging on the subject for sure, and if you have a link or two handy I wouldn't mind you posting them. I'm so looking forward to this Boxset.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I received the email today that things are shipping. My new Lyra Olympos mono cart is ready to read....;)
This cart is basically delivering the transparency of Olympos or Atlas stereo for mono....I am hearing new detail, extension and clarity on mono that the Ikeda 9TT glosses over.

jahnghalt

Sep 7, 2014
I see Mike L already started a thread (perhaps the moderators will delete the one I started with this:)

I found no thread regarding last week's release of the Beatles All-Analog Mono LP Box - so I announce it here.

Details can be found as to the AAA nature of this reissue on Analog Planet:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/beatles-get-back-mono-and-aaa-vinyl

Reviews in progress here (James Perlman - a long time audiophile and record collector):

http://www.amazon.com/review/RQ7WF1...NJ9CHK&nodeID=5174&store=music#wasThisHelpful

and here (Mikey Fremer going nuts):

http://www.analogplanet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing