Listening Chairs

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Mission impossible. OK my audiophile stripes are showing. Trying to find a new listening chair so my ears are positioned between the speakers midrange and tweeter. Seems 20 inches or so is standard height for a chair and my height isn't going to change anymore. Hate listening sitting on towels Maybe will get some lawn chair pads temporarily. OK yes I'm insane.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Myles. Before this thread takes off, have you considered custom risers for the chair you currently have? This will set you exactly at the height needed and if towels or lawn chair pads will work, it doesn't sound like too much height needs to be added.

Tom

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hello, Myles. Before this thread takes off, have you considered custom risers for the chair you currently have? This will set you exactly at the height needed and if towels or lawn chair pads will work, it doesn't sound like too much height needs to be added.

Tom

Yes that's another option will consider too. It might be a little challenging as it's a recliner with a round base. Thanks!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I had the same problem with the Aida's - minimum recommended ear height was around 41", about 5" less than the optimum for me and my comfortable chair. Happily the Alexia's are adjustable for ear height and distance from the speakers.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Mission impossible. OK my audiophile stripes are showing. Trying to find a new listening chair so my ears are positioned between the speakers midrange and tweeter. Seems 20 inches or so is standard height for a chair and my height isn't going to change anymore. Hate listening sitting on towels Maybe will get some lawn chair pads temporarily. OK yes I'm insane.

you can use larger foam furniture movers from Loews or get a height adjustable office style chair. I am in your same situation and use those pucks. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014

NO worries.....your not insane, (actually were all a little insane -:)) you just want to dial in the sound (staging, tonal balance, etc) based on the parameters of the speakers. MY designs require a higher than typical ear height off the floor (I would define typical as around 36" to 38" ) So consequently I need to be in a somewhat narrow window of 40" to 42". I have my leather sofa on 2" MDF blocks, painted black, and I also sit on a 2" thick highly dense cushion that exhibits minimal compression when you are seated. Had a nice matching fabric put on it. This set up works very well in my listening environment.
CHEERS...........T

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
you can use larger foam furniture movers from Loews or get a height adjustable office style chair. I am in your same situation and use those pucks. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

Thanks Christian and you have a few inches on me too! :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks everyone. Guess if worse comes to worse, can have some woodshop make a nice riser to put under the chair.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I use Herman Miller Aeron chairs in the studio .... very adjustable. Great for reviewing speakers at different heights

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Guess if worse comes to worse, can have some woodshop make a nice riser to put under the chair.

I've done that but an empty wooden platform tends to resonate and may also boom and make noise as you move in the chair. I would suggest going with something solid (MDF as suggested earlier, my brick idea, butcher blocks, or at least fill the platform with sand to deaden it). How much height do you need? And shouldn't you be doing this for two chairs now? :)

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

I'd adios the towels and try Depends..

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Get a piece of 3/4"plywood cut to the size that comfortably holds the chair and has space for your feet in front of you.

Purchase hardwood flooring of your liking--oak, Brazilian cherry, ash, etc. Glue the hardwood to the plywood. This will give a rigid "floor" for your chair. The plywood and hardwood gives you 1.5". Add a square of 2x4 underneath for each additional 1.5" in height you need. A little hardwood molding around the 2x4 will give it a finished appearance.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Thanks everyone. Guess if worse comes to worse, can have some woodshop make a nice riser to put under the chair.

I suggest caution since a wood platform may have resonances (tap or stomp your feet on it) that you want to avoid.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Oops. Never mind. I just realized you want to lower the speaker. I want to raise my S5s since the tweeter is at ear level.

Get some speaker plinths and raise the speakers. Mapleshade sells 2" and 4" maple plinths. Add in the brass footers to couple the plinths to the floor and problem solved. Plus you get better sound as they absorb speaker vibrations.

Alternatively, I sometimes use the Herman-Miller office chair I bought for working at home. It has a height adjustment, but I prefer the plinths.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I use Herman Miller Aeron chairs in the studio .... very adjustable. Great for reviewing speakers at different heights

Great for sitting hours and hours on end. Aerons are THE BOMB.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing