Harry hard at work making a VPI idler drive turntable

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi to all,

Harry is trying to build an idler drive turntable. Read it in the audioasylum, the thread title is new idler drive turntable. Its in the vinyl section of the audioasylum.

Tdh888

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Does he think it will be better than his $30K Direct Drive, or just different sounding?

A lower priced turntable, say the best he could do at that price point. But no, not better sounding than the Classic Direct that is prohibitively expensive to manufacture.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Idler wheel drive used to be the realm of cheap low-end tables. Assuming he can make a decent one and solve the usual issues, I wonder will it overcome market bias? Or has the old guard died out so there is no longer a stigma attached to idler wheels?

* Aside: I have heard some great tables with idler wheels though can't recall the makes. Ditto direct drive, once scorned (perhaps unjustly) until better motors and servos were developed.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Idler wheel drive used to be the realm of cheap low-end tables. Assuming he can make a decent one and solve the usual issues, I wonder will it overcome market bias? Or has the old guard died out so there is no longer a stigma attached to idler wheels?

* Aside: I have heard some great tables with idler wheels though can't recall the makes. Ditto direct drive, once scorned (perhaps unjustly) until better motors and servos were developed.

Harry of course has lots of experience --in addition to developing his rim drive--with idler based tables. The Teres tables also use rim drives as well as the many remanufactured Lencos, Garrards, etc. out there. I posted a while back some from Artisan Fidelity not too long ago.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGvPSgdXHqA[/video]

You do of course need to replace the rubber band every once in a while with the rim drive.

See also:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ive-quot-Turntable&highlight=artisan+fidelity

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Harry of course has lots of experience --in addition to developing his rim drive--with idler based tables. The Teres tables also use rim drives as well as the many remanufactured Lencos, Garrards, etc. out there. I posted a while back some from Artisan Fidelity not too long ago.

Hope I don't derail the thread too far. The rim drive for the Teres was a flaming turd. I returned it immediately. The o-ring had a vertical seam and a ridge that ran around the circumference. I could hear that seam hit the platter with every revolution. I had the Teres 265 for a couple of years. Awful sounding table that was made worse with the rim drive. Chris Brody is a nice guy though. :)

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thank you Myles. I did skim that thread a bit, had forgotten the Thorens 124 was an idler (pretty sure the Thorens I tried was belt-driven). I agree with the comment in that thread that most any of these can be executed to perform well (or not). I was more concerned about perceptual bias than performance given who's doing the design, but it seems like that is not an issue now.

Sorry for the diversion, but thanks, carry on! - Don

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thank you Myles. I did skim that thread a bit, had forgotten the Thorens 124 was an idler (pretty sure the Thorens I tried was belt-driven). I agree with the comment in that thread that most any of these can be executed to perform well (or not). I was more concerned about perceptual bias than performance given who's doing the design, but it seems like that is not an issue now.

Sorry for the diversion, but thanks, carry on! - Don

My first tt in college was a Dual 1009 that was an idler drive!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing