QuickSilver GOLD Contact Enhancer lets you hear your gear's FULL POTENTIAL !

Status
Not open for further replies.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
pulling off these connectors with needle nose pliers

I am not sure if this post is serious?????

99% or 100% - ethanol or isopropyl should be used to clean contacts. I do not believe that any GOO should be used between the two metal surfaces.

Please do not take offense Audio_Karma, but I would not want members screwing up expensive components.

Best to you,
zz.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
17 days to "break in" goo.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue30/quicksilver_gold.htm

".....Brian said it was only about 85% broken-in and that it continues to get better about 3 to 4 months out as the dielectric carrier becomes fully polymerized ...."

Sadly, Brian Kyle passed away of cancer not too long ago and his family is carrying on his last wishes that the Quicksilver Gold product still be available to audiophiles.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
I can see were a small amount of conductive coating could be beneficial. Would it not increase surface area contact? My concern with the above post is the need of pliers to remove connectors; not a fan of connections that tight.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I can see were a small amount of conductive coating could be beneficial. Would it not increase surface area contact? My concern with the above post is the need of pliers to remove connectors; not a fan of connections that tight.

As I understand it, when you look at a contact at the microscopic level, its surface is far from smooth and flat. (in fact, that's what Furutech addresses to some extent with their polishing process.) These contact enhancers are meant to fill in the "surface pitting" and increase the contact area as well as address some other electrical parameters that lower the noise floor.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
As I understand it, when you look at a contact at the microscopic level, its surface is far from smooth and flat. (in fact, that's what Furutech addresses to some extent with their polishing process.) These contact enhancers are meant to fill in the "surface pitting" and increase the contact area as well as address some other electrical parameters that lower the noise floor.

The above is true if the "contact enhancer" world was perfect. BUT, these contacts are not like Torqued together machine parts that will have almost no minimal movement due to vibration, other motion, hot/cold thermal changes, etc. Electronic components like to move around; that is why tube pins have some form of spring/clamping action [unless you solder the wires to the pins - excellent if done correctly]. Speaking of tubes, try thoroughly cleaning inside the sockets after some GOO.

zz.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
"metal"

Don't most RCA jacks (female) actually contact on the sides of the male pin, not the tip? That is the way the ones I have so work.

Tight connections mean less chance for oxidation and less chance of vibration causing changes in contact resistance.

Soldering tube pins seems pretty risky. You could damage the pins/tube, and thermal cycling with soldered pins seems like it could lead to stress fractures.

I am not at all surprised that the sonic impact is every bit as much as obtained from having your gear cryo-cooled.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
About every tweak I have ever bought sits in a drawer long forgotten. The only thing I use now is Deoxit with some Q-tips. I'm not saying anything against goo,but is it really worth the trouble....not in my experience.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012

Last edited:

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I am assume you are using it at both ends of the chain? Source and preamp? Maybe you should leave one input channel untreated for comparison.

Don't sniff the goo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing