Oh No!! Layoffs hit Velodyne

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
They were the only other company successful at designing, manufacturing and selling servo-controlled subwoofers. It's no secret that I recommend customers buy Velodyne when they complain that mine are too expensive.

http://www.strata-gee.com/2014/06/1...odynes-audio-division-company-bets-all-lidar/

What's interesting is that Arnie Nudell came from servos that he designed for radar targeting towards subwoofers. Velodyne is going from subwoofers to LIDAR guidance. I'm sure that if they are successful with their LIDAR technology, they will make far more money. But I for one will miss them delivering tuneful, accurate bass (not just loud).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There is a huge demand for LIDAR tech for surveying/GIS in developing countries. I wish the folks at Velodyne the best of luck. Competition is fierce in that other arena as well.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Interesting. I worked on data converters and analog/sampled analog components for lidar (ranging and imaging) systems in the past but had no idea Velodyne was in that business. Hope it works out for them but seems an odd move. However, I was mostly doing radar, not lidar, systems.

Rythmik (http://www.rythmikaudio.com/) makes excellent servo subwoofers though I am biased. Not only do I own them, but the designer/owner (Brian Ding, PhD) not only uses an extension of the idea I used for my servo-sub design in the 80's (his is much enhanced, natch) but also works designing high-speed SerDes', same field I am now working. Salk uses Rythmik components in a custom cabinet.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I went to show with a pair of Rythmiks a few years ago. I loved that they had two EQs and not just one. It made them really easy to integrate. I find them to be very, very high value propositions. All I could ask more of them would be to beef up the cabinets just a bit more.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I own a pair of Optimum 12s and am very pleased with how well they have integrated with my speakers. They are extremely well controlled and musical...none of that dreaded one-note going on...and they are relatively inexpensive..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
They were the only other company successful at designing, manufacturing and selling servo-controlled subwoofers. It's no secret that I recommend customers buy Velodyne when they complain that mine are too expensive.

http://www.strata-gee.com/2014/06/1...odynes-audio-division-company-bets-all-lidar/

..But I for one will miss them delivering tuneful, accurate bass (not just loud).

Good to know...I did not realize you liked them that much. I do enjoy my Velodyne DD18 and many distributors/dealers have said to keep it and not look to upgrade to one of these mega-subs (even though they sell them). TBH, I do think the DD18+ is better (via a brief direct comparison)...but at the moment, there are many more places to get bang for buck for me.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good to know...I did not realize you liked them that much. I do enjoy my Velodyne DD18 and many distributors/dealers have said to keep it and not look to upgrade to one of these mega-subs (even though they sell them). TBH, I do think the DD18+ is better (via a brief direct comparison)...but at the moment, there are many more places to get bang for buck for me.

Good call by your dealers too. Keep the DD18. That's a great sub - and very rare to have a servo-controlled 18-inch woofer. That woofer must have cost them A LOT to develop - not something that I can afford to do. Only thing better might be to get two of them and screw/glue them together back to back :) I'm a VERY big fan of horizontally opposed woofers especially for down-deep duties.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good call by your dealers too. Keep the DD18. That's a great sub - and very rare to have a servo-controlled 18-inch woofer. That woofer must have cost them A LOT to develop - not something that I can afford to do. Only thing better might be to get two of them and screw/glue them together back to back :) I'm a VERY big fan of horizontally opposed woofers especially for down-deep duties.

Thanks Gary...I presume then that you liked the original Krell Master Ref Subwoofer and possibly the more recent Magico QSub designs? All of these have 2 cones setup back to back, firing in opposite directions. I think you have done this is on your tower subs?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The G2jr too if I'm not mistaken.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Gary...I presume then that you liked the original Krell Master Ref Subwoofer and possibly the more recent Magico QSub designs? All of these have 2 cones setup back to back, firing in opposite directions. I think you have done this is on your tower subs?

I have not heard these two, but I've not heard a non-servo-controlled subwoofer that I liked. I tried very hard before buying Genesis.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing