Computer Audio: confusing, complicated, & INCONVENIENT. About MUSIC or inner nerd?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Me also. I has to restart the computer and uninstall and then re-download. This happens every time Jriver updates. It sucks but I am sure there aren't ever any maddening technical problems with turntables, right?

It take years for stuff to gum up and that is if you really hate cleaning parts even just once in a blue moon. So for mechanical I would say no.

Now if for some reason the hum devil decides to suddenly pay you a visit, THAT can be maddening!

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
As a computer nerd, I sometimes enjoy the challenge of getting server-based setups to perform their best. But lately, I also yearn for simplicity and robustness.
There is a reason Meridian gets top-dollar for a Soolos system, it's worth it to get rid of the niggly issues.

However, there is still a big gap in the audio world, and to me that is consistent metadata about decoding / playback preferences. We solved the album art and track names metadata problem, but still unresolved is the area dealing with optimizing the playback chain for a given track or album.

For instance, I have hundreds of Naxos label recordings encoded in UHJ Ambisonics, but to my playback software, they look like normal 44/16 LPCM files. To play them back correctly, I'd like to engage an Ambisonic decoder in the player software and output 4.0 LPCM over HDMI to my preamp. I have an Ambisonic decoder plug in for Foobar2000, but no way to switch DSP presets based on metadata (for one, it's not there, not standardized, etc).

Another example is recordings encoded with Dolby Surround (eg. Isao Tomita series), where it is still 44/16 LPCM, but now the preamp needs to be put in the appropriate decode mode to get the right surround output.

Then there is a wide range of recording post-processing options one might chose, for example sub-harmonic synthesis (eg. DBX 120) for all those old '70 rock albums with the bass chopped off the master (thanks LP), or options on the EQ front for poorly mastered recordings (eg. the 2007 Genesis remasters). Etc. the list can go o for days.

The core problem is that decoding standard metadata is missing from the set, and that the other forms of playback preference metadata are more personal and possibly system dependent.

To me, a 'perfect' digital playback system would address this conundrum. Who else thinks this is a problem?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You guys do understand that the vast majority of the pain you're talking about are Windows problems, not computer audio problems, right?

Tim

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
You guys do understand that the vast majority of the pain you're talking about are Windows problems, not computer audio problems, right?

Tim

It so happens the most function feature rich server program, jriver runs on windows (I believe the Mac version is not close to what the windows version is capable of). If you just want to load a bunch of albums in iTunes and call t a day, is suspect you'll have few, if any problems.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It so happens the most function feature rich server program, jriver runs on windows (I believe the Mac version is not close to what the windows version is capable of). If you just want to load a bunch of albums in iTunes and call t a day, is suspect you'll have few, if any problems.

No problems is the short answer. I suspect there might be a few more issues if you added one of the ancilary programs that automatically switch sampling rates for you, which iTunes doesn't do. What are some of the great features you are getting in jriver that are not available on iTumes?

By the way, I suspect even iTunes is more troublesome in Windows.

Tim

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
No problems is the short answer. I suspect there might be a few more issues if you added one of the ancilary programs that automatically switch sampling rates for you, which iTunes doesn't do. What are some of the great features you are getting in jriver that are not available on iTumes?

Tim

Agreed. If Apple one day wakes up, and decides to support DLNA/UPNP in iTunes, allowing it to act as a server, much like JRiver does, now THAT will be a killer system.
As it is, Apple relies on the Airplay protocol, which is limited to 16/48...
Knowing Apple, it's more likely they'll improve Airplay (with DSD and 24/192) and get device manufacturers to support it... That works for me too :)

alexandre

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Tim

I have two servers. One for multi channel including video, one for 2 channel, both run jriver. I can switch between the two servers on my ipad in 5 seconds. The multi channel server maps my lfe channel to mains. I can create custom library views. I wanted to do a shoot out between 4 stereo dacs, so I mapped channel 1/2 to channel 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 on my lynx card in jriver. All sorts of stuff I could not do with any other program but jriver.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Agreed. If Apple one day wakes up, and decides to support DLNA/UPNP in iTunes, allowing it to act as a server, much like JRiver does, now THAT will be a killer system.
Knowing Apple, it's more likely they'll improve Airplay (with DSD and 24/192) and get device manufacturers to support it... That works for me too :)

alexandre

Given that all but a very few of my files are ripped from RB CDs, this doesn't matter much to me. What I wish iTunes would add first, is zone capability in Airplay.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I have two servers. One for multi channel including video, one for 2 channel, both run jriver. I can switch between the two servers on my ipad in 5 seconds. The multi channel server maps my lfe channel to mains. I can create custom library views. I wanted to do a shoot out between 4 stereo dacs, so I mapped channel 1/2 to channel 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 on my lynx card in jriver. All sorts of stuff I could not do with any other program but jriver.

Cool.

Tim

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

alexandre

Used as a dlna server, you lose all the unique dsp function features of jriver.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Baetis Audio makes music servers that look like they would work well for those wanting something that works out of the box. They even include "One full year of telephone support including remote desktop control software (usually both phone and desktop control together), for JRiver and other audiophile software." These were used in the Seaton Sound rooms at Axpona and T.H.E. Show earlier this year.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Jriver obviously has that, but you pay the price in windows instability aggregation.

When I did my short stint selling high-end audio and HT, we had a DLNA system (I forget the brand name) display/demo. It was always screwed up. Most of the time, it was dead in the water waiting for the supplier's tech to come by and get it fixed, and to tell us all the unintuitive things you had to do to keep it operating properly (example: it had to be shut down in a specific order). Unless DNLA has gotten a lot better than that, it's the last thing I would want to see happen to iTunes.

Not to be a fanboy, but while there are some limitations, Apple makes stuff that just works. And that's what audiophiles who think managing a library of 1,000 discs is more "convenient" than a server need. I also suspect that most of them are just looking to add a server to their listening room, not set up a multi-room wireless distribution system. When that is what you want, iTunes limitations relative to jplay go away and its ease of use becomes a huge factor. What these guys need are Mac Minis, tucked quietly away where they won't be seen or heard, and iPads elegantly accessing their music libraries and surfing to allmusic.com for the world's greatest liner notes. Add in something like Ammara, that plays native sampling rates automatically, and even the big hi-res users will be well-served. An Apple/iTunes-based system isn't hard to set up, and once it is, it is easier to operate than a CD player. Back up? Keep it simple. Get a small, high capacity HD, run a backup whenevery you add new content, then unplug it and store it in a firebox.

Like I said, you can make this about as complicated as you want, or you can enjoy the music. The choice is there to be made.

Tim

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
caesar - all the problems you are describing, should be solved by your dealer.

My dealer, who sells Aurender (among other things) will come to your house, setup a network, make your DAC/ipPad/server work, and even copy some 2TB of music for a good start :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Baetis Audio makes music servers that look like they would work well for those wanting something that works out of the box. They even include "One full year of telephone support including remote desktop control software (usually both phone and desktop control together), for JRiver and other audiophile software." These were used in the Seaton Sound rooms at Axpona and T.H.E. Show earlier this year.

They are a rip off. You can buy the exact components or better assembled in a box for half the price. I bought a fanless server with more hardware (including 4tb drive and video card) for far less at www.endpcnoise.com and have 1 year warranty as well.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I totally agree about Apple. It's a great way to computer hi-end. I prefer windows only because it allows me greater server customization which is more unique to my situation. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for other folks.

I know I'll be killed for saying this but here goes. I think hi-rez and, and in particular, .dsf files are more of a detractor to those that might otherwise be interested in buying a music server and using a DAC. I am one of those people that really knows that redbook IS high resolution playback. Of course, legit higher resolution files can make things sound better, but the differences are very much exaggerated on forums, which causes folks to get too confused and intimidated about computer audio to even try it. That's a shame, IMO.

When I did my short stint selling high-end audio and HT, we had a DLNA system (I forget the brand name) display/demo. It was always screwed up. Most of the time, it was dead in the water waiting for the supplier's tech to come by and get it fixed, and to tell us all the unintuitive things you had to do to keep it operating properly (example: it had to be shut down in a specific order). Unless DNLA has gotten a lot better than that, it's the last thing I would want to see happen to iTunes.

Not to be a fanboy, but while there are some limitations, Apple makes stuff that just works. And that's what audiophiles who think managing a library of 1,000 discs is more "convenient" than a server need. I also suspect that most of them are just looking to add a server to their listening room, not set up a multi-room wireless distribution system. When that is what you want, iTunes limitations relative to jplay go away and its ease of use becomes a huge factor. What these guys need are Mac Minis, tucked quietly away where they won't be seen or heard, and iPads elegantly accessing their music libraries and surfing to allmusic.com for the world's greatest liner notes. Add in something like Ammara, that plays native sampling rates automatically, and even the big hi-res users will be well-served. An Apple/iTunes-based system isn't hard to set up, and once it is, it is easier to operate than a CD player. Back up? Keep it simple. Get a small, high capacity HD, run a backup whenevery you add new content, then unplug it and store it in a firebox.

Like I said, you can make this about as complicated as you want, or you can enjoy the music. The choice is there to be made.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I totally agree about Apple. It's a great way to computer hi-end. I prefer windows only because it allows me greater server customization which is more unique to my situation. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for other folks.

I know I'll be killed for saying this but here goes. I think hi-rez and, and in particular, .dsf files are more of a detractor to those that might otherwise be interested in buying a music server and using a DAC. I am one of those people that really knows that redbook IS high resolution playback. Of course, legit higher resolution files can make things sound better, but the differences are very much exaggerated on forums, which causes folks to get too confused and intimidated about computer audio to even try it. That's a shame, IMO.

Yep. Redbook is hi-res. Higher sampling rates are overrated and over-sold in audiophile circles. If a server neophite owns an Apple and a USB DAC, he should just rip a dozen albums to iTunes and listen with an open mind. If he's not one to talk himself into hearing problems where none exist, the odds are very good he's going to like what he hears and really enjoy the access to his music. That guy will keep ripping until he's ready to sell his transport, and find a whole new, wonderful way to manage and access his music library.

Tim

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Digital Server Setup

When I acquire a new CD, I slip it into the slot, point to and click two virtual buttons (one closes a dialog box and the other says "burn"), and the software rips it to my hard drive, error-correcting as it goes. It automatically ejects the disc when it's done. Then the artist, the album and the individual songs are all searchable by keyword, compilations are compilable by dragging and dropping, global, artist and genre random play are available with a click... What's inconvenient about that?
Tim

I am not intimidated, but I still need to be mentored through the process. With PS Audio's announcement of the Sprout product, I think I am ready to put together such a system. But, other than the Sprout product what do I need and how do I set it up? I agree it can't be that hard and just need guidance.

John

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010

Tim

Tim, you've almost described my setup to a T. The only thing I'm missing is Ammara, but I'm also not interested in hi-rez files at this time.

The only "difficult" part was organization, and that was predominately because my iTunes library was a mess. I had my own files ripped at 256k AAC for work, together with a mishmash of other tracks that I had acquired from friends/family in a variety of lossy formats. There were duplicates, corrupted files, etc. that had to be sorted through.

I ripped all of my CD library (roughly 500) in ALAC. I would rip the discs while I watched TV at night. It took less than 3 weeks total. I've kept some of the better lossy files for music that is difficult to replace and for which I didn't have a physical disc.

I took the time to redo some naming, genres, composers, and other issues so that the library would be sorted the way I prefer it. For example, instead of having "The Wall [Disc 1]" and "The Wall [Disc 2]", I just have "The Wall" and the metadata handles the division of the tracks into separate discs. The advantage is that it shows up as a single album, and will automatically play through both discs.

The end result is that I have thousands of songs available at the touch of a finger. Most of my CDs have been boxed and stored. So far I've run into exactly two tracks that needed to be re-ripped due to skips/errors, and that is very easily done.

Currently the library resides on my Mac Mini, which is upstairs from my stereo. I control iTunes using an iPad. iTunes outputs wirelessly to an AppleTV that is attached to a Schiit DAC. When I buy a new desktop computer, I'll move the Mac Mini downstairs and cut out the AppleTV.

Nothing that I have done was complicated, and very easy to set up.

I will continue to buy CDs because I like having a physical copy of the music. And I will buy another CD player eventually, since it's the most convenient way to play visitors' CDs on my system. But the computer-based system will always be my main method of listening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing