Computer Audio: confusing, complicated, & INCONVENIENT. About MUSIC or inner nerd?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Digital was originally sold as the "convenient" medium, among other things. But look around at what's available in the market, and it is a FUGLY morass. Talk to a dozen guys and get a factorial of several dozen of suggestions.

Even a TAS writer got confused and had to write an apology:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/comparing-sacd-to-a-dsd-download-a-follow-up-report/

Windows vs. Apple? River vs. Itunes vs. proprietary? SPDIF vs USB? DSD vs PCM? Upsample to how many times of DSD? Meaningless buzzword vs. Marketing Buzzword? Etc....

What sounds like MUSIC vs. a 10 digit-priced, highly resolved digital robot?

And as soon as you settle on something, things change!!! Buzzword A is so much better than Fuzzword B ....

So is Computer Audio just for bored computer nerds who like to play around with settings and rip files? Personally I want to just kick back and listen to music!

Seems like dropping the needle in the groove or popping a cd into the transport is much more convenient and musically satisfying. Is this really about the music or letting our bored, inner nerd play around?

How do you separate the engineers who deliver analytic sound from the "Golden Ears"? How do you know the engineer is correct? How do you know the "Golden Ear" is not selling you something?

Who do you trust with understanding the options so you can make the right choice? Or do you just not bother at all, like me?

Lol I posted the same thing not so long ago and had my a** handed to me. Absolutely and John Q. Public won't go for it. The don't care a bit about sound, only convenience. D/l from iTunes is as much work as they want to do.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't know what kind of software you guys are using, but I put in the disc, it rips, adds the metadata, categorizes the files (every once in a great while I disagree and change something). I type nothing. I search for no metadata. Nothing is required of me except to wait 10 minutes while the software does the work, then listnen to the music.

Like I said, you can make it incredibly complicated if you want to.

Tim

Did you build and install your server software ?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I feel your pain, ceasar. I've been doing this since 2006, and it isn't easy. Although I have published recipes for building a server, operating it isn't easy. And, the server needs to be tweaked depending on the DAC used and even the USB cable/hard drive so that you don't get the fat one-note bass.

I tried to build a consumer-friendly one with nothing to set, and have it run perfectly straight out of the box. Built one, and sent it off to a friend to test. Guess what, it didn't work when it got there. Shipped it back to me, and it worked straight out of the box. Shipped it out again and it still didn't work. I flew there, and verified that it didn't work. Re-loaded the software and now it's perfect. May be it doesn't like to travel......

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In order to know how simple is a system you have to answer some simple questions - are your family and friends able to come with music and play it in your system? Did you perform any software upgrade in your server software during the last three years?

BTW, nice to know that some real experts do not find it easy! ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What's easy about any high-end setup? With regards to using a server, the hardest part to me is getting your software to communicate with your DAC. After you have that handshake completed, the rest is gravy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My PC switches sample rates automatically :)

Hum, audio is part of the USB standard from 1998 on.

Complicated?
Wonder how the average consumer will deal with this

View attachment 16173

It's definitely easier with the control surface than without ;)

Everything gets easier with practice and the learning curve will vary from person to person. The only question is, do people want to take the time out to learn in order to reap the rewards later?

It's no different in my mind from learning to set up a turntable.

I do not think that computer audio is already at the "optimized" plug and play point. I have no doubt that it will get there eventually in terms of ease of use.

Tim, stop reading at this point. iTunes ripping and playback is working for you. No need to hear what you are missing, getting there isn't all that easy with the 3rd party players with multiple set up options, but yes A/B no contest. I love Mac but iTunes is to me, not representative of what CA SQ is capable of.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
An easy solution is a file player like the Bryston BDP-1/2 or the Auraliti PK-100.

Yes, plus it outperforms your generic PC trying to be a music server. Ripping CDs isn't difficult, and if you do 10, or more, a week, starting with your favorites, you will soon have more music than you can listen to.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I was about to brag about how easy Jriver is to use but then I got this message when I tried to update it today.
View attachment 16174

I had the exact same dll error a few days ago. Tried uninstalling jriver and got another dll error. Fiddled around with it trying uninstalling and reinstalling stuff, and at some point it came back up. First thing I did was disable automatic updates in jriver. It is infuriating.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I had the exact same dll error a few days ago. Tried uninstalling jriver and got another dll error. Fiddled around with it trying uninstalling and reinstalling stuff, and at some point it came back up. First thing I did was disable automatic updates in jriver. It is infuriating.
I uninstalled Jriver and reinstalled it. It's easy to restore the library and all setting though since it auto saves settings daily.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I am so glad I simply place the LP on the platter or the silver disc into the player and enjoy the music. My apologies for an off topic post. Please carry on with the conversation...

*bangs head reading this thread*

Tom

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I could not uninstall jriver because of another windows dll error.
Me also. I has to restart the computer and uninstall and then re-download. This happens every time Jriver updates. It sucks but I am sure there aren't ever any maddening technical problems with turntables, right?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I suppose I should feel very guilty.

digital computer music is so easy.

my son, the network engineer, has me all set up with my server upstairs, and dialed in. he remotely loads lots of 2xdsd rips regularly onto my server. I have about 10 terabytes of mostly dsd and 2xdsd but also a fair amount of redbook and hirez PCM.

Jriver is set up on my ipad mini as the dedicated remote and works like a champ. if I ever have any issues (which is very rare) my son remotely dials into my server and fixes it.

I can sit down and in about 5-6 minutes do a 2-3 hour play list and then chill and listen. the only drama is that Jriver does not happily switch from PCM to DSD or back during a playlist. so it takes me 45 seconds to remotely tap into the server on my network and reboot Jriver when that happens. mostly I remember to stay with either one format or the other. or not use any playlist.

the sound is excellent and I have plenty of choices. the biggest problem is I have no reason to even move at all. is that a problem?:)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Me also. I has to restart the computer and uninstall and then re-download. This happens every time Jriver updates. It sucks but I am sure there aren't ever any maddening technical problems with turntables, right?

rarely technical tt problems. if I think back to the 7-8 tt's I've owned over the last 15 years (some quite involved) I'm not sure I've ever had a mechanical failure (once the compressor pump on the Rockport needed a rebuild--a $20 part and it took about 30 minutes). the only thing is that I've wrecked a cantilever a couple of times. there are set-up efforts required and variable performance due to imperfect set-up. but even at modest set-up levels the tt performance has always left the best digital (of that time) in it's dust.

I had some visitors over this past Sunday where we compared a 2xdsd rip of the new MOFI Garcia-Grisman Lp to the Lp. they loved the 2xdsd rip to begin with, then there were unsolicited shouts and hoots when I played the 'real thing'. ;)

added note; to be fair, as I sit here I do recall I once briefly owned a third hand Rockport Sirius II that had a failing motor that I struggled to get to hold speed. the previous owner had been a bit cruel to it and it was beyond me to get it fully right. it still sounded quite amazing even limping along.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing