SMT Wing Diffusors vs. QRD Diffusors? Effective?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
What is the MRP on the Acrylic wings ? Thanks

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
What is the MRP on the Acrylic wings ? Thanks

600 or 700 euro per piece. You can choose the color of the base - black or white acrylic or a veneered MDF.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I domoed the SMt wings at elberoth's place. Just took them out and put them back on. There was more focus and better stage as they were put back on, fuzzy otherwise. And his room already is well-treated

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The V wings are not in acrylic but in polycarbinate. The S wings are available in acrylic at a length of 80 cm. I am waiting to get longer S wings as well as V wings in acrylic as this material is really stealthy compared to polycarbinate. My audio room is my living room so I want to have the least intrusive visual impact from the acoustic treatment. In the mean time I have a mix of both in my audio room as a temporary fix (thanks to Flyer who is assisting me in this journey). More news to come in a few months time I have been told. The impact of the wings is just incredible.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
I am effectively building a reference room for myself at the moment with SMT material. It will be a level 3 room in 22 m².

I will be opening a separate thread when the room will be 'publishable'. An event, like an open door weekend, is being envisaged! Again, more to come in coming weeks.

WIN_20150320_191448.JPG
WIN_20150320_191513.JPG

Don"t know how to get the pictures straight but you get the flavour no doubt.

The casings you see against the wall are helmholtz resonators. I have a mix of them as being built, part of the ceiling and a number of V6, V5 and V4 varitunes.

The Flower, S- and V-wings still need to be brought in. I am waiting for all works to finish before these are moved into the room.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Great project !

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Here is my pair of SMT Wings. I put them in the first reflection points:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Adam , lovely room ! What are the wooden panels on the front and side walls ? Are they acoustic in nature , haven't come across them elsewhere.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Lovely room Elberoth.
You may test, if you like, to put the V-wings closer to the speakers or more interestingly, put your speakers closer to them where they are now. The latter may result in an even wider soundstage without loss of focus.

I say 'may' each time simply because each room and listening preference is different though the phenomenons above are quite systematic when using these wings.

If you only have two of these wings, do the test where they have most effect: at the first reflection point at the side of the speakers or at the back of the speakers (i.e. about 40 cms behind the speakers with the edge of the wings almost in line with the side of the speaker).

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I would need to move the equipment to put them at the first reflection point at the back of the speakers. The wooden panels were all custom made. I have hired an acoustician to design the room. That was 10 years ago.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Well, looking at the picture you do seem to have some room right behind the speaker, between the speaker and the equipment stand. But that is only the picture of course (nice flooring BTW!) It would not be ideal in distance from the speaker but will give you a good idea or might even suffice !

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The primary function of the wings in my room is to increase sound stage stability. I have a window on the left hand side, which changes the acoustic conditions compared the right side.

If I ever buy a second pair, I may consider putting them behind the speakers (but that is still not the first reflection point - the first reflection points at the back is between the speakers, where my eqipment platforms are).

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
View attachment 19453

Thank you very much Paolo! I had the Totaldac for test, I have Weiss now. I really liked the Totaldac, maybe I Will get it.

Have you tried to put the wings a little closer to the speakers on the side? you can go so close as 30 cm. If you put the wings a little forward like on this picture you can get even more effect. These wings on the picture have the protektionfilm on.

Kind regards Krelle

Thank you Krelle,
I will try to move the side panels. BTW I am in a different configuration compared the pictures you have attached, I am a little less than 4 meters away by the speakers.
this pictures in taken from my listening point.

IMG_6910-1.JPG

Wings are continuosly improving.
Matts added a more stable basis (doubling the polycarbonate foil)

IMG_6860.JPG

Last edited:

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Paolo,

If you took the picture from your listening position, it seems the V-wing at the side is not positioned at the point of first reflection... :confused: It seems their effect could be increased by having the middle of the wing at the first reflection point which normally implies that the side of the wing, closest to the loudspeaker, is not more aft than the front of the loudspeaker. How much more to the front depends on the distance from the wing to the side of the speaker, listening position and preference...

Michel

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Paolo,

If you took the picture from your listening position, it seems the V-wing at the side is not positioned at the point of first reflection... :confused: It seems their effect could be increased by having the middle of the wing at the first reflection point which normally implies that the side of the wing, closest to the loudspeaker, is not more aft than the front of the loudspeaker. How much more to the front depends on the distance from the wing to the side of the speaker, listening position and preference...

Michel

Hi Michel, thank you,
yes, indeed, you are right, but I have to solve the lack of left corner, and this configuration seems to be the better. But I will try again, as you and Krelle suggested me.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
I would suspect that by repositioning the wing as indicated the issue you describe will be further reduced, compared to how it is now. Again, needs testing all of that in situ.

Krelle

Aug 5, 2013
Stockholm Sweden
I am effectively building a reference room for myself at the moment with SMT material. It will be a level 3 room in 22 m².

I will be opening a separate thread when the room will be 'publishable'. An event, like an open door weekend, is being envisaged! Again, more to come in

Don"t know how to get the pictures straight but you get the flavour no doubt.

The casings you see against the wall are helmholtz resonators. I have a mix of them as being built, part of the ceiling and a number of V6, V5 and V4 varitunes.

The Flower, S- and V-wings still need to be brought in. I am waiting for all works to finish before these are moved into the room.

I really like the look of your Diamond roof! Im looking forward to see more pictures in your new thread. Diamonds are forever.. Keep up the good work
Best regards Krelle

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
The primary function of the wings in my room is to increase sound stage stability. I have a window on the left hand side, which changes the acoustic conditions compared the right side.

If I ever buy a second pair, I may consider putting them behind the speakers (but that is still not the first reflection point - the first reflection points at the back is between the speakers, where my eqipment platforms are).

Beautiful room and system, Adam. That is one that I would like to hear. BTW, we are looking forward to getting the Lampizator B7.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
I would suspect that by repositioning the wing as indicated the issue you describe will be further reduced, compared to how it is now. Again, needs testing all of that in situ.

yes, indeed, I have repositioned the wings as you suggested and the soundstage opened.
The middle bass is stronger and more physic.
Loudspeakers are completely disappeared.
The total image is superbly neutral, well-balanced, uncolored, natural and detailed at same time.

IMG_7030-1.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing