Koetsu Azule

joeling

Jan 8, 2014

Koetsu Azule mounted on an Avid Acutus Ref

Next up - Swap out the VDH Colibri with a Benz Micro LP-S

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : What is a good tracking forrce & Cartridge loading for this cart ?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
When we were using it at the show, I believe it was at 1.85gm and 100 ohms

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Hi Bruce B,

Thank you for the recommendation. I am happy to have taken your advice.

Regards,
Joe Ling

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
When we were using it at the show, I believe it was at 1.85gm and 100 ohms

Nick had it higher in Chicago into his phono section. I want to say 1000 or 3000.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
You can't discuss the optimum loading for a cartridge without knowing the capacitance and inductance of the tonearm cable. Some very expensive tonearm cables have inductance that is a significant factor or capacitance that is a significant factor in the frequency response of the system. They may give subjectively a pleasant sound, but IMHO depart significantly from neutral.

If you know the specs for the cartridge and tonearm internal wiring plus tonearm cable, you can easily calculate using the calculators provided by Hagerman here:

http://www.hagtech.com/loading.html

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
VTF 1.85 for my Jade. Went down from 1.9 a long time ago.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Ok guys, appreciate your input. Mine is about 1.9g at the moment.

Another thing - noticed towards the last track, dynamics slightly compressed. Any idea what is the parameter to tweak ?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Ok guys, appreciate your input. Mine is about 1.9g at the moment.

Another thing - noticed towards the last track, dynamics slightly compressed. Any idea what is the parameter to tweak ?

The record? :)

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Rickie Lee Jones

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
1.8 to 2g is the recommended tracking force. For the longest time was using 100 ohms loading but now liking it at 47 ohms.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You mean 47kohms? 47 ohms seems way too low for most MC carts.

Not 47K ohms Jerry. My Minimax phono stage has two options only for MC, 100 ohms and 47 ohms. I wouldn't have believed 47 ohms would sound better to me till I tried it. More body on vocals, and less sibilants. Overall, very pleasing to the ears. I tried it back a forth a few times to make sure I wasn't just imagining.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Anyway, been a couple of months. I am very happy with this setup. It is the default vinyl playing instrument in my system until I get the cart swap for the Bergmann.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing