CBS News: Vinyl sales at record high

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Actually you couldn't be expected to know this since you haven't bought a record since 1980. But the vast majority of records being released, whether they're rock, jazz or classical today, are 180 (not 80) gram because it's sexy. Even ordinary LPs today are 180 and at least 140 gm, not the floppy, dynawarp discs of yesterday.

I suspect the vast majority of records being released today come from digital masters

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I suspect the vast majority of records being released today come from digital masters

What is your definition of "the vast majority?" 90%? 80%? 60%?????.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Actually you couldn't be expected to know this since you haven't bought a record since 1980. But the vast majority of records being released, whether they're rock, jazz or classical today, are 180 (not 80) gram because it's sexy. Even ordinary LPs today are 180 and at least 140 gm, not the floppy, dynawarp discs of yesterday.

I was rather late to the digital party. Bought my first CD in '92.

Tim

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Five years ago we finally moved to a location where I could unpack the hi if and break out the albums in storage. My daughter, 14 at the time, was and has always been an avid music lover (and musician, classically trained violinist). I brought out the Rega Planar 3 with Sumiko Talisman cartridge, threw an album on, and as she passed the music on the way to her room, stopped dead in her tracks, sat down, listened to the rest of the album, slack jawed. When she went off to college, she stole the Rega, along with my old Rauna Tyr speakers and several 100 albums. The movement going on may well involve the "cool indie look" for many of that generation, but trust me, many are also THE future audiophiles. She has set her eyes on her favorite speakers to date, Wilson Sophias, and plans on purchasing some used ones with her first paychecks down the road. (After hearing VPI's classic series, the rega's days are numbered also). I suspect vinyl will outlast all of us on this forum, with good reason. :)

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
The future will bring what it will bring, in the meantime vinyl, and tape, have made me upgrade my entire system. I love listening to music the way I used to in high school and college - perhaps even more!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The future will bring what it will bring, in the meantime vinyl, and tape, have made me upgrade my entire system. I love listening to music the way I used to in high school and college - perhaps even more!

Same for me. It wasn't for my love of vinyl I'd probably never upgrade as I really have no interest in exploring digital the way I do vinyl. Don't take that the wrong way, please...it's not a bash against digital. It's more a question of being involved with the medium.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Same for me. It wasn't for my love of vinyl I'd probably never upgrade as I really have no interest in exploring digital the way I do vinyl. Don't take that the wrong way, please...it's not a bash against digital. It's more a question of being involved with the medium.
Agreed, but for me it's more of being involved with the music than the medium. The music is for me more realistic with analog than digital.

I don't know if the resurgence in LP sales is a fad or not, but our local "record" stores have new LP's coming in daily.

Found these charts on sells

1389038470.jpg albums-copy.jpg

I own both LP and digital and I like setting an LP on the platter and lowering the stylus to the record while I set back and read the back cover of the LP. I guess it's my old age or just my enjoyment of music.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't know if the resurgence in LP sales is a fad or not, but our local "record" stores have new LP's coming in daily.

Found these charts on sells

View attachment 16223 View attachment 16224

I own both LP and digital and I like setting an LP on the platter and lowering the stylus to the record while I set back and read the back cover of the LP. I guess it's my old age or just my enjoyment of music.

Hi

I hesitated mightily to voice my views but this being after all a discussion forum ... I must say that according to these statistics, LP/Vinyl represent less than 1%... of the total of music on this planet .. It takes a devoted optimist to rejoice about that percentage ...

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That's only for the UK. I think in the USA it's more like 2% :D

Edit: And before someone points out that many LP sales aren't reported to Soundscan, I've previously mentioned that that is even more true for digital downloads and CD's than it is for LP's. OTOH, the RIAA's numbers (from which royalties are calculated) are probably as accurate as any survey can be.

Last edited:
That's only for the UK. I think in the USA it's more like 2% :D

Edit: And before someone points out that many LP sales aren't reported to Soundscan, I've previously mentioned that that is even more true for digital downloads and CD's than it is for LP's. OTOH, the RIAA's numbers (from which royalties are calculated) are probably as accurate as any survey can be.

Shame we can't find valid data on digital downloads from all the sites that do offer downloads.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm sure they each keep figures, it's a question of compiling them all.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
There is also a suggestion that true sales are underestimated since small labels and Indie stores may not be accurately counted.
Which is pretty much all I buy. Maybe 20-30/month.

I did pick up a release on Reprise last week though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing