CBS News: Vinyl sales at record high

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
[video]http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/vinyls-resurrection-sales-at-a-record-high/[/video]

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm curious; what is a "record high"? Do they mean for this century? Since 1995? Higher than last year?

Depressing news, in any case...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
A 22 year high sales record, rbbert.

Tom

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
There is also a suggestion that true sales are underestimated since small labels and Indie stores may not be accurately counted.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
In any case it is still a niche market, growing yes but still niche. Not sure that will continue for more than a few more years though. We will see.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There is also a suggestion that true sales are underestimated since small labels and Indie stores may not be accurately counted.

We've said that as nauseum here! :) Not to mention major sellers like AS, etc. As well as hearing it's a fad and will die in two years despite 22 years of growth. How do you argue when the stats show otherwise? Because one person predicted the housing collapse everybody has a magic crystal ball? From the same people who don't believe anything but measurements? Personally seems that they want LPs to go away for some odd reason.....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm curious; what is a "record high"? Do they mean for this century? Since 1995? Higher than last year?

Depressing news, in any case...

It's only depressing to digital heads who gave up on vinyl.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I only wish when they did these kind of stories they wouldn't show a $50 table playing a warped record. It gives people who don't know any better the wrong impression.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Regardless of its accuracy, of which I don't think is a lot for the reasons Myles indicated, it's good these stories appear in the press.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
If the majority of people knew that vinyl was still actually being pressed (and most don't know that) and knew how good it sounded if played back correctly (and most don't know that either), vinyl would be much larger than it is now in the market place. Meanwhile back at the ranch, CD is deader than a Crip in a Blood's neighborhood.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I only wish when they did these kind of stories they wouldn't show a $50 table playing a warped record. It gives people who don't know any better the wrong impression.

The wrong impression of what? Do you imagine that most of the people driving this comeback are playing 80 gram limited pressings and talking about the weight of their mulit-thousand dollar turntables on internet audiophile forums? Or do you think the vast majority are probably listening to mass-produced vinyl on tables that cost a few hundred bucks at the most? I think vinylphiles see this trend as sweet justification for their hobby, but in reality, I'd bet the farm that the overwhelming majority of the vinyl resurgence listeners are in a different hobby altogether. It's like the collector of Rolexes imagining his hobby is going mainstream because there is a love in the Gen Y crowd for huge, cheap wrist watches.

Choices are good. Reality is good too.

Tim

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The wrong impression of what? Do you imagine that most of the people driving this comeback are playing 80 gram limited pressings and talking about the weight of their mulit-thousand dollar turntables on internet audiophile forums? Or do you think the vast majority are probably listening to mass-produced vinyl on tables that cost a few hundred bucks at the most? I think vinylphiles see this trend as sweet justification for their hobby, but in reality, I'd bet the farm that the overwhelming majority of the vinyl resurgence listeners are in a different hobby altogether. It's like the collector of Rolexes imagining his hobby is going mainstream because there is a love in the Gen Y crowd for huge, cheap wrist watches.

Tim

where I work a number of fellow employees of various ages have started listening to vinyl, and like anything, the degree of investment and awareness of sound quality is variable. however; they all share a recognition that it is more enjoyable to listen to vinyl (as well as being more 'hip' 'cool' or whatever term you choose) than other ways they have listened to music.

some have entry level tt's; and some have moved up a notch or two over the last few years. and they will think about the best sounding pressings for music that is important to them.....not to the degree I do....but it matters to them. it's part of the whole direction.

it's not all $149 specials in dorm rooms.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Tim

I hope they aren't listening to 80 gram vinyl. I'm also not thinking that everyone who is buying records has a great table. My point was rather simple though. I wish that when stories like these were published they would show a decent table so people can also see that good tables really exist because I'm sure most of the people who aren't aware that vinyl still exists (or ever existed) also aren't aware that we actually have something that is leagues beyond the crap they show on TV.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...aren't aware that we actually have something that is leagues beyond the crap they show on TV.
Like the Technics SL1200, still beloved by many at other audiophile forums, and a c____y 'table if there ever was one?

But whatever, LP sales have been growing only since about 2004-5. Before that, there was a low point over a few years following a surge around the turn of the century, which had followed the nadir of the mid-'90's.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the vinyl resurgence isnt a surprise, LA seems to add a new/used LP store every week - i cant keep up. its a backlash to mediocrity, no different than how the culinary arts took off. as we dig out of the recession and people have more disposable income, they want to go back to the basics done right - and they'll pay a premium for it . lots of chain fast food locations in the city have been replaced by hot new eateries run by young innovative chefs, hand made fare with fresh ingredients.The vinyl record scene in LA is right in middle of this. go to any one of them on a weekend and they're busy! I think the draw isn't just for 'crate diggers' but its social. you can actually associate with a fellow human being about new music, touch, hear (even smell) the merchandise - not a bad way to kill a saturday.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The 1200 crappy? Not for what I use them for.

Back on topic…..

My cousin, a rock musician, passed away a few years ago. We were very close. Thinking about it, he probably taught me half of the stuff I was supposed to learn MUCH later in life, while the other half was taught by my brothers. To my surprise, last week I learned that one of his albums had been released on vinyl. This is the Philippines, a developing country half way around the world and even here indie albums are being pressed. I don't know what further proof is needed that there are enough people out there wanting more vinyl and actually buying it.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Here's a shocker....Last weekend I was checking out my local Marshall's dept store. ( You know the one, they have the discounted clothes and other sundry items...also known as TJ Max...Large stores here on the West coast; NOT sure IF they are anywhere else in the country).Lo and behold, what greets me at the entrance...a shelf displaying about thirty records for sale! All new LP's and set-up as a display for father's day, LOL. Now if this doesn't say something I don't know what does:D.

mbskeam

Sep 28, 2012
some place in seattle area
All that I know, it is making it harder to find any GOOD used records for a buck ;)......
bins at the thrifts in the past 6 months or so, have had doodly
but it doesn't stop me from looking, makes the hunt more of an adventure.:)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
All that I know, it is making it harder to find any GOOD used records for a buck ;)......
bins at the thrifts in the past 6 months or so, have had doodly
but it doesn't stop me from looking, makes the hunt more of an adventure.:)

That's very true. Plus now everybody that owns records figures they are all worth far more money...resulting in trash/trashed records being offered at stupid prices.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Tim

Actually you couldn't be expected to know this since you haven't bought a record since 1980. But the vast majority of records being released, whether they're rock, jazz or classical today, are 180 (not 80) gram because it's sexy. Even ordinary LPs today are 180 and at least 140 gm, not the floppy, dynawarp discs of yesterday.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing