my vote is two i own
first is the hifiman HE 6
next is the lcd 3
any ideas and thoughts on others
al

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have two Hifiman the HE6 and He400 they sound similar and as you put it: " like speakers "... I am very interested in the LCD3 too.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have them and they are ok but lack the impact of the he 6 does.
They also need EQ to get close to the he6
The upper mids and treble is recessed like the whole line from audezee
Phones. They all look great and get really good reviews
But lack a real sound to them. If you want laid back they are it.
Al

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like cans that fire at the pinnae so my vote goes to Stax and Ultrasone.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Taket H2+ are outstanding 10hz - 100khz + ( built in supertweeters ) they call them the king of headphones in japan use mine with a 9wpc 300b mono blocks
need to be driven via a tran/x like Stax

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The stax combo as comaoreed to speakers , do you find them thin in comparison ?
I have that as well and yes it's give deatils that most speakers do not.
Al

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I would say the very expensive Cavalli Liquid Gold and the Abyss are right up there, prefer them muchly to any of the Stax 009 or Blue Hawaii variants I heard and i have heard both about eight or nine times at shows. I wouldn't call any of them speaker like, per se. but when you get used to the paradigm, it can be pretty nice.

My weirdo Wavac/modified SRD 7/Dyna transformer box/ oldie Stax SR 3n (5n membrane) is still the best I have heard overall. It melts time and space. I can't put them on unless I am prepared to cashier a lot of time which seems to just pass in a state of suspended animation bliss. Non-commercial and unique, unfortunately.

If you REALLY want speaker-like, I think the old AKG K1000 are about the closest you can get, or the Stax Sigma, but you can't care about looks.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have a phonitor headphone amp it has cross feed and mono. It's actually pretty ciool. In one of the MAny mods I can adjust where I sit in the room . Atleast from left to right.
Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing