Biasing Ref 110

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, my Ref 110 is with KT120s, does anyone know after roughly how many hours of play you need to bias these?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If it has been awhile since you last checked your bias, just hook up your meter and check the bias readings. If they need to be adjusted, just adjust them.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
+1.

The (maybe just "my") ancient quickie rule was 1-10-100 -- check at 1 hour, 10 hours, and 100 hours. 1 hour to catch any initial burn-in drift, 10 hours after they have settled a bit, and at 100 hours they should be in "long-term" mode. I would check every few months after that, which might be 100 - 300 hours -- whenever I thought to do it. Some tubes would drift very gradually then change rapidly at EOL (end of life); others seemed to drift slowly at first then a little faster as they aged until they died.

Just a rough guideline; some will check after every record or CD, at least until they tire of it, and some will check when they replace them and never again. The 1-10-100 rule worked pretty well for me over the years.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks guys

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
+1.

The (maybe just "my") ancient quickie rule was 1-10-100 -- check at 1 hour, 10 hours, and 100 hours. 1 hour to catch any initial burn-in drift, 10 hours after they have settled a bit, and at 100 hours they should be in "long-term" mode.(...)

Don,

Although I broadly agree with the timing my wording would be different for ARC modern amplifiers - 1 hour for temperature and amplifier stabilization, 10 hours for leaky tubes and 50-100 hours for burn-in. I have measured several sets of 6550C and KT120 during burn-in with my burn-in and matching jig and found sometimes they take about 30 hours before fully stabilizing bias.

If people get tubes already burn-in from ARC they can follow ARC instructions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing