Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone compare Stillpoints to Shun Mook Footers? Metal vs. Wood....

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post
    Audiocrack : Knowing how much you value tonal and emotional connect as part of the listening experience , your recommendation will be indeed followed up . Will start with the footers first . You reckon the sextet stands and mpingo discs work in small spaces , and how does one implement/fine tune them ? Thanks
    When you buy Shun Mook items they come with very well written instructions. Eg the sextet requires one set of wooden stands with 2x3 mpingo discs at each side of the room behind the speakers, one set of wooden stands with 2x3 Mpingo discs at each side of the room just in front of the speakers and one set of wooden stands with 2x3 mpingo discs at each side of the room at your listening position. Lastly, 2 mpgingo discs have to be positioned at the back wall of your room at a certain height. The instructions are clear and experimenting with positioning clearly makes a difference: just use your ears for final placement.
    Last edited by Audiocrack; 02-06-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post
    Audiocrack : Knowing how much you value tonal and emotional connect as part of the listening experience , your recommendation will be indeed followed up . Will start with the footers first . You reckon the sextet stands and mpingo discs work in small spaces , and how does one implement/fine tune them ? Thanks
    Hi Jazzhead, just wondering (although admittedly somewhat late) how your experiments with Shun Mook turned out: can you inform us about your findings?

Quote Originally Posted by Audiocrack View Post
    Hi Jazzhead, just wondering (although admittedly somewhat late) how your experiments with Shun Mook turned out: can you inform us about your findings?
    Hi AC , never got down to it , doesn't look to be on the cards ... Busy enjoying the sublime Trinity duo ... Wunderbar !!!
    "It is music coming from another world, it is coming from eternity." ... HVK

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Also curious if anyone has tried the Star Sound platforms?

http://www.starsoundaudio.com/index.php

My observations are that damping can be overdone, softer materials tend to sound bad and have uneven dissipation of vibration relative to frequency. The devices that get the best reviews seem to manage vibration in certain ways, like a musical instrument, and aren't just simple dampers.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Also curious if anyone has tried the Star Sound platforms?

http://www.starsoundaudio.com/index.php

My observations are that damping can be overdone, softer materials tend to sound bad and have uneven dissipation of vibration relative to frequency. The devices that get the best reviews seem to manage vibration in certain ways, like a musical instrument, and aren't just simple dampers.
    Some of you may not like this, but I get great results from using two Stillpoints Ultra SS and one Ebony footer. Shun Mook is my favorite, the other Ebony footers look very similar, but have a small stainless steel cone instead of the steel shaft with diamond tip.
    The cone cup material makes a difference, and I prefer brass or the well made Isoclean, which are stainless and contact in a circle to the platform. Speaking of platforms, they make quite a difference and you will have to experiment with what is available (probably 30 different types out there for audio). So don't think the footer is the only factor you are dealing with. The component itself is a factor. Some are damped, some "tuned" and some just plain junk boxes. Weights on top are a factor, and here we go again: how much weight, what material, where to place them, etc.

Another good, natural sounding footer is the Aktyna. I won't go further about those, because this is a Stillpoints-Shun Mook topic. I will say Stillpoints Ultra and above, produce a clarity that other footers barely approach. But they don't have much tuning ability. That's why I throw in another specialty footer (not cones).

The Stillpoints have a threaded hole for attachment to an optional base. There we go again...

I hope this helps and I don't mean to complicate things. FTI: I bought my first Diamond Resonators around 1997, and I still use them on certain equipment. The Ultras are great on my tubed preamp and tubed DAC.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquineous View Post
    I hope this helps and I don't mean to complicate things. FTI: I bought my first Diamond Resonators around 1997, and I still use them on certain equipment. The Ultras are great on my tubed preamp and tubed DAC.
    I had 5 sets of Stillpoints--I sold them all and my system regained its flow with the Mooks-- sorry

I realise Stillpoints have their strong points(sic) and work well in some folks systems--just I felt always there was something missing regards to my presentation with the points installed.

But hey !--I have friends with a dozen or more of SP's in all sizes in their setups--and they sound pretty damn good--so

Horse for courses!

BruceD

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy T View Post
    My friend owned the Shun Mook record clamp for many years... loved it. Has the Large SM footers too. We all thought there can be no better .... till he bought a Dalby Audio D7 record weight. It killed the Shun Mook clamp. He also found some Dalby Audio D7 Lvse 90 footers... They also killed the big Shun Mook footers!
    Although, I would not use words as "killed", I have found the Dalby record weight/clamp more effective in my playback compared to the Shun. Greater density, a bit more delineation, and wonderful soundstage. I have one set of Dalby footers under the preamp, which compared to the SM and Stillpoints, offers similar results to the clamp. Too bad these things are so pricey...else I would try more

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234