Anyone compare Stillpoints to Shun Mook Footers? Metal vs. Wood....

caesar

May 30, 2010
Shun Mook has footers that are similarly priced to Still Points. In other words, they are very expensive...

However, Shun Mook is made of wood, while Stillpoints are made of metal. Some claim wood is warmer and more natural sounding. However, some detail may be lost using the Shun Mook. Anyone do the comparison?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Shun Mook has footers that are similarly priced to Still Points. In other words, they are very expensive...

However, Shun Mook is made of wood, while Stillpoints are made of metal. Some claim wood is warmer and more natural sounding. However, some detail may be lost using the Shun Mook. Anyone do the comparison?

I sold all my Stillpoints after I experienced the SMs. The Giant Diamond resonators are my favorite upgrade to my system. You will rarely find them used though. It added more air to the opera, cleared up the bass muddle, and things just got more 3D. It was incredible, I heard it in my system first, then went to the distributor's to listen to in his, then put my stillpoints for sale after some A/B. I did not have the biggest of the stillpoints, but the other two sizes.

I will any day add a SM resonator (the wooden block, not the Mpingo disc) below my Pre and CD/dac before upgrading any other component. I would strongly recommend anyone to get an audition. Add to that by changing direction of a block and closing in or expanding the triangle you can change the soundstage

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I can't see myself ever drinking the shun mook kool aid. They are fancy shaped exotic wood. I think if one gets the same wood and mills them to the same size and shape, you have your own shun mooks. There is no engineered internal construction involved like that with stillpoint's. That said, I have never tried them and have little interest in doing so. There are people that swear by them. stillpoint's deliver for my system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I can't see myself ever drinking the shun mook kool aid. They are fancy shaped exotic wood. I think if one gets the same wood and mills them to the same size and shape, you have your own shun mooks. There is no engineered internal construction involved like that with stillpoint's. That said, I have never tried them and have little interest in doing so. There are people that swear by them. stillpoint's deliver for my system.

The exotic wood is ebony, which they buy from a particular place. There is also some crystal - not sure if it's a diamond since these things are called diamond resonators - in the tip on which the block stands. Not that it matters, they just do awesome things to my system

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The exotic wood is ebony, which they buy from a particular place. There is also some crystal - not sure if it's a diamond since these things are called diamond resonators - in the tip on which the block stands. Not that it matters, they just do awesome things to my system

I don't doubt that. Any one can get ebony, right ? These things have been around since the late 1980's. I am sure they impart their own sound signature that can be appealing in some systems for some users. I just feel technology has advanced in terms of isolation since then and Stillpoints Ultra's are the result of that when it comes to footers. Resonation is one thing, isolation is another. I use stillpoints for isolation, not resonation. I think they are two products with different uses/effects.

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
I don't doubt that. Any one can get ebony, right ? These things have been around since the late 1980's. I am sure they impart their own sound signature that can be appealing in some systems for some users. I just feel technology has advanced in terms of isolation since then and Stillpoints Ultra's are the result of that when it comes to footers. Resonation is one thing, isolation is another. I use stillpoints for isolation, not resonation. I think they are two products with different uses/effects.

"Resonators" is their brand name, but they achieve both functions: Isolates & resonates.

I don't believe (or I believe it) they could have they own sound signature, as any another isolation device. If not, everything will be the same...

Technology 'advance' all the time, but not always for better.

You can find some Ebony from exotic wood suppliers, but not the way to fit the Ebony as a Shun Mook 'Resonator'!...

Roch

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest

Yes, there is a real diamond in their hard steel tip, because diamond is the strongest material on earth. Because I didn't believe it was a diamond I tested with an special stone tester I own. This is an very important part of his 'isolation services', but some body could argue that diamond are very old to be hi tech (or the wood on an Stradivarius violin).

Roch

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
"Resonators" is their brand name, but they achieve both functions: Isolates & resonates.

I don't believe (or I believe it) they could have they own sound signature, as any another isolation device. If not, everything will be the same...

Technology 'advance' all the time, but not always for better.

You can find some Ebony from exotic wood suppliers, but not the way to fit the Ebony as a Shun Mook 'Resonator'!...

Roch
The fact they are solid wood indicates to me they have a sonic character...that of the resonate frequency of the wood. Not necessarily a bad thing if you like the slight tonal shift in your system. Stillpoint's do not alter the tone...rather they drop the noise floor and dampen the various feedback loops unique to each component category. The result is a more clear, extended frequency response particularly in the bass region. I don't think shun mook would do the same, in particular under my speakers.

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
The fact they are solid wood indicates to me they have a sonic character...that of the resonate frequency of the wood. Not necessarily a bad thing if you like the slight tonal shift in your system. Stillpoint's do not alter the tone...rather they drop the noise floor and dampen the various feedback loops unique to each component category. The result is a more clear, extended frequency response particularly in the bass region. I don't think shun mook would do the same, in particular under my speakers.

I don't use anything under my speakers, but their own spikes. (I will try Stiilpoint under them).

Here is something interesting explained from SM manufacturer own test, BTW explaining what you call 'tonal shift':

http://www.shunmook.com/explained/HK-TN-0388- Shun Mook Mpingo Discs Acoustic Test -LH.pdf

Roch

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I think the Shun Mook Ebony comes from Madagascar

I use Gabon Ebony Blocks (8) around the listening room--can't explain it but the sound is "more rounded and holographic" with them in the room

Another of life's mysteries:)

BruceD

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
I think the Shun Mook Ebony comes from Madagascar

I use Gabon Ebony Blocks (8) around the listening room--can't explain it but the sound is "more rounded and holographic" with them in the room

Another of life's mysteries:)

BruceD

I can't recall Bill Ying's ebony source, but yes the classification: Diospyros ebenum (Ceylon ebony). It's the black and hardest of all ebony species.

My music rack is built from Rosewood (http://www.woodosa.com/species/cristobal.htm) , it's a hard wood with nice 'musical' properties and about two tons in weight. It's used to build fine guitars. Now it's an endangered wood, like a lot of precious woods.

Roch

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

HI Christian, we are just debating something that both of us don't know here, so taking the thread off what the OP asked - the only suggestion I can make is people audition them and compare them. I did and love the SMs - they are mainly to be used under the Pre and the CD/dac.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I haven't tried the Giant Resonators but I'm looking to, compare to my Still Points firstly under my pre.

I have had my SM LP clamp for some time now and was absolutely shocked when used on any of my previous tables, I found when using it my system was more musical with better detail and sound stage etc.

I got my TechDas Air Force One table "same as what Christian has" last year, I was advised not to use any LP devise due to the tables design so my SM just sat in it's wooden box unused.

I was moving some items around and saw my SM box just sitting there, said to my self what the heck lets try it - can't hurt anything. Well all I can say is I'm VERY HAPPY I did and I'm getting the same results as before :D

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
After listening for some 6 hours today I want to add to my posting above my findings using the SM LP clamp in my system.

I clearly notice the floor noise has lowered, I'm getting more bass detail and energy, better separation along with inner micro details.

The performers are more solid, 3D with air around each object which to me is very nice indeed - I'm very happy I tried, I would highly recommend.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I believe Greg tried both under his tape machines and preferred the Shun Mook...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's all system balance preference. I use ultra 5's under the UHA Phase 11S and Ultra SS under the Outboard PS. the sound quality performance is staggering.

I believe you have not tried the SMs. You should give it a try

To DEV, I am not a TT guy, but the distributor had demoed me his SM clamp at his place as well as the resonators. Both of us felt the resonators had a much more impact than the clamp. I know a guy with an SRA rack who has now bought the resonators. Another told me that he prefers Vibraplane under his TT and SM under the other components.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
My friend owned the Shun Mook record clamp for many years... loved it. Has the Large SM footers too. We all thought there can be no better .... till he bought a Dalby Audio D7 record weight. It killed the Shun Mook clamp. He also found some Dalby Audio D7 Lvse 90 footers... They also killed the big Shun Mook footers!

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
My friend owned the Shun Mook record clamp for many years... loved it. Has the Large SM footers too. We all thought there can be no better .... till he bought a Dalby Audio D7 record weight. It killed the Shun Mook clamp. He also found some Dalby Audio D7 Lvse 90 footers... They also killed the big Shun Mook footers!

Yes Robert who own's Isis speakers, Walker table and other fine gear, see below his Testimonial written on Dalby's site;

"I have the stabilizer on and one set of feet under the pre-amp and they are the finest feet and clamp I have ever heard. They wipe out the Shun Mook which I thought were the best. Your feet and Stabilizer are definitley game changers. I can't believe feet can make that much difference. Transparency, detail, air, separation, high frequency extension. The speed and clarity and micro detail are something else."

I purchased my Shun Mook from him :) - thanks again Robert, would love to hear the Dalby product. The Stabilizer looks pretty impressive, looks heavy, anyone know how much it weights - I read the solid brass alone comes in at 1.4kg.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
To DEV, I am not a TT guy, but the distributor had demoed me his SM clamp at his place as well as the resonators. Both of us felt the resonators had a much more impact than the clamp. I know a guy with an SRA rack who has now bought the resonators. Another told me that he prefers Vibraplane under his TT and SM under the other components.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing that info - I'm looking into getting a set of G.D.R.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing