Texas Hurricane; SRV 45 rpm box set, 1st listen

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
it was supposed to be released on June 10th, but I happened to be looking at the Acoustic Sounds website on Wednesday night and there it was 'in stock'. I have not purchased many Lps over the last 6-9 months; and this is likely the only real anticipated release on my radar....I've literally been waiting for a few years for this. so I ordered it and paid for the overnight shipping since I have some friends coming over this weekend to help me listen to the new dart pre. the box set arrived today.

I probably have 3 or 4 different pressings of 'Couldn't Stand The Weather', and 'Tin Pan Alley' is one of my all time favorite cuts. I have multiple digital copies of it too. I might even have a 15ips 1/4" master dub of it someplace (I know I've heard a master dub on tape). so I'm all in on SRV.

right now I'm listening to 'Tin Pan Alley' (thru the new dart pre:D) and it is the best I've yet heard it. it's a very good recording to begin with. just like most all of the QRP pressings I have experienced, it's flat, quiet, and nicely done. the bass is even deeper, more impactful, and tonally richer than any I've heard previously. I'm really enjoying it.

as I listen to more of this album I notice there is a relaxed ease to these pressings (typical of better 45rpm pressings) that compliments the music and draws me in. some of the intense guitar work of SRV can get a bit harsh.....but not here....you get the bite but it's not in your face.

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and Cold Shot are sweet!

later i'll explore this whole box more deeply.

nice job Chad!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/72286/Stevie_Ray_Vaughan-Texas_Hurricane-Vinyl_Box_Sets

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks Mike. This set is on my radar and I'm glad that you are liking it. Some of the SRV releases have left a LOT to be desired. Have you had a chance to listen to Riviera Paradise yet?

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike. This set is on my radar and I'm glad that you are liking it. Some of the SRV releases have left a LOT to desired. Have you had a chance to listen to Riviera Paradise yet?

thanks. I will try to listen to 'Riviera Paradise' when I can get to it and comment.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike. This set is on my radar and I'm glad that you are liking it. Some of the SRV releases have left a LOT to desired. Have you had a chance to listen to Riviera Paradise yet?

I'm listening to 'Riviera Paradise' now, very nice, relaxed, no edge. very good bloom and decay. it's a digital recording and not quite as spacey as the 'Tin Pan Alley' but very nice on the 45 and certainly spacious.

a little single malt and SRV is just right for 11pm Friday night.....get the weekend moving in the right direction.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'm listening to 'Riviera Paradise' now, very nice, relaxed, no edge. very good bloom and decay. it's a digital recording and not quite as spacey as the 'Tin Pan Alley' but very nice on the 45 and certainly spacious.

a little single malt and SRV is just right for 11pm Friday night.....get the weekend moving in the right direction.

Whenever I listen to SRV, I always sit back and smile at the talent that man had. When you play guitar yourself, you admire and respect him even more.

BTW, is this set in the new 'cheesy' plastic inner sleeves that are now prevalent on the newer re-issues. I have found them to actually mar the surface and cause some minor surface noise! I immediately replace all of mine with the Mobile Fidelity inner sleeves...MUCH better quality and far better for the surfaces. I was so bummed tonight when I listened to my new Kenny Burrell Blue Note Music Matters re-issue and noticed the back ground noise that I'm sure was caused by the plastic inner sleeve. Luckily most of it was diminished by a good cleaning...BUT not all. Once those grooves are damaged, you know the rest:(

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Hurricane 45 rpm box

Wow...just finished Texas Flood. The music blooms and fills the room like no other versions I have heard. 30 ips master to 45 rpm lacquer matters. Wow again. Worth every penny for maximum sound pleasure.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Notice how the better versions allow the phase effects on his guitar to come through clearly? I'll bet this version is incredible.

Lee

Nothing is harsh at anytime on that fender. The Bass is very clear and equally extended as the guitar. The 2nd album is no different. Where is the bourbon and cigarettes ? I'm in luv...

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I just received the box set on sacd . I have not had time to listen to,it as yet or rip ISO either soon though .
I am glad it sounds great on vinyl .
Al

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I held off purchasing the 33RPM box set in favor of acquiring 45RPM version. Guess I need to move it closer to the top of my list.

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Dre,

the 33 box set??

the above comments are related to the 45rpm set. it's wonderful, get it.

cheers,

Mike

In Chicago, I almost bought the 33 RPM 6 LP box set to add to my current single album collection while waiting on the 45 RPM box set to be completed. I decided against it, at that time, in favor of waiting on the completion of the 12 LP 45RPM box set to be released. Therefore, I'm moving the 45 RPM box set closer to the top of my next purchase list.

Dre

P.S. there are both 33 RPM (6LP) and 45 RPM (12LP) box sets currently available.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Dre,

thanks. i also looked at the 33 box and held up waiting for the 45.

i had mis-interpreted your previous comment and thought when you said 'it' you were somehow referring to the 33 box.

Mike

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The 33 box set got rave reviews (caused me to purchase it) so I have no doubt that the 45 set is superb.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
A friend stopped by yesterday for a long listening session and we played a few tracks from his 45 RPM box set. Sounds really good. I didn't compare to my other pressings but the bass and low-end heft seemed greater than I remembered.

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing