Lampi L7 cannot get usb to work?

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
Tyring to get USB to work on the L7- I downloaded the drivers onto my music vault - When I go into J river the drivers show but neither Neal from Music vault or myself can get it to work- Does anyone have any ideas- I have the unit set to USB- thanks so much!!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Tyring to get USB to work on the L7- I downloaded the drivers onto my music vault - When I go into J river the drivers show but neither Neal from Music vault or myself can get it to work- Does anyone have any ideas- I have the unit set to USB- thanks so much!!

First try installing the drivers on another PC and see if you get a connection, to isolate this as a Lampi problem or a music vault problem.....

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
Yes under bitstreaming I have DSD over PCM DOP format dOP 1.0 is that correct

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
Under devices it does show the combo 384 ASIO so it does show the driver

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
I hooked up the Mac. Played I tunes directly to lampi. Lampi shows USB PCM. Nothing. It works with spdif but not USB.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I hooked up the Mac. Played I tunes directly to lampi. Lampi shows USB PCM. Nothing. It works with spdif but not USB.

Have you spoken to Rob and Fred?
Can you get the L7 to work on the Mac via USB? Try first with PCM, then DSD.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
This is not the first lampi I know of that the usb does not work. As edorr will,attest sometimes usb is major pain.
The direct stream has a usb issue too. It shows it's there but no sound. What I think may work is the following.
Some of this is the usb and it's setup,to the cpu. If this gets corrupted it seems to just stay there. Trying a different cpu can fix it. But also uninstalling the driver and reinstalling after rebooting can help as well. Even my mytek has usb issues at times. And it's game to fix it. My MSB DAC lost its usb as well. Lucky for me installing a firmware to the DAC fixed it. This was after a few hours of trying everything else including tech support. Edorr has an issue and the last he said the unit was going back to MSB. The ongoing usb issues stay silent for the most part and thus is wrong . As we help,each other there should be maybe a sticky thread for all usb issues to go and read through. I have had three lampi,s at my office for a week at a time. And I never had a usb issue but they do exist.
Mine is supposed to be in my hands Tuesday or weds let see how my install,goes.
Al

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
Hi,
I reported in this thread
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?14676-Lampizator-DSD-DAC/page8
that I too had problems with my Lampi playing DSD.
I sent the unit back to Lukasz and he found, that the switches were wrong declared.
So USB/Spdif and DSD/PCM were changed, of course I didn't get sound with DSD because actually I was switching between Spdif and USB - who would have thought of that!
Maybe yours has this problem too, try to flip the other switch with maybe the wrong sign on it.

Christoph

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
There you go this is something good to know. Although it's not cool,that it happened things do happen and at least it's something to try.
Al

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
\Edorr has an issue and the last he said the unit was going back to MSB.

I was about to send the USB board back when I had one final idea of how to fix the problem. I suspected all along the board was fine (the MSb detected AUX 1 installed) and it was a USB firmware issue. Problem is, you cannot reinstall the USB firmware when you don't have a USB connection. So I took out the USB board, power up the DAC (assuming this would flush the USB firmware), the put the USB board back in (assuming this would reload the USB firmware. Loo and behold it worked. So USB is indeed finicky - even on a 28K DAC.

Other issue is the USB board does not have thread but nuts that are very loosely glued onto the plate. Of course, the glue gave out and I could not unscrew the little bolt all the way. You cannot reach the nut from behind. So it took me 20 minutes of fiddling to get the board out, and now I am glueing the nuts back into the plate with proper cement, so this won't happen again. Incredibly stupid for a $1300 piece of hardware - it should just have threading in the plate.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi,
I reported in this thread
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?14676-Lampizator-DSD-DAC/page8
that I too had problems with my Lampi playing DSD.
I sent the unit back to Lukasz and he found, that the switches were wrong declared.
So USB/Spdif and DSD/PCM were changed, of course I didn't get sound with DSD because actually I was switching between Spdif and USB - who would have thought of that!
Maybe yours has this problem too, try to flip the other switch with maybe the wrong sign on it.

Christoph

So Christoph, did you ever report back an how you find the SQ on your Lampi? Both for DSD and PCM?

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
Hi,
as I wrote in the Lampi DSD thread, I haven't got my unit back from Lukasz, so no opinion from me now on both formats.
What I heard was very promising, the Lampi was clearly superior to both my Electrocompaniet ECD2 and my Lector Digitube S192.
When I have the DAC back, I will report.
These two DACs are for sale now by the way, so if anyone interested.....

Christoph

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Edorr wow you are correct. My UMT plus draw would not open. So I had to take it apart and put it back in and now it works. Arrapently the draw is so close to the frame something must of moved I the shipping of the unit. This whole thing makes no sense .

Rob emailed me that my dac should be shipped out Monday so maybe weds I shroud have a new toy to try out. .
How many hours should it burn in. And can the tubes run 24/7 especially when brand new. I always did tubes no more than two or three hours at a time for the first three days .
Al

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Edorr wow you are correct. My UMT plus draw would not open. So I had to take it apart and put it back in and now it works. Arrapently the draw is so close to the frame something must of moved I the shipping of the unit. This whole thing makes no sense .

Rob emailed me that my dac should be shipped out Monday so maybe weds I shroud have a new toy to try out. .
How many hours should it burn in. And can the tubes run 24/7 especially when brand new. I always did tubes no more than two or three hours at a time for the first three days .
Al
Normally, I would say that the other Levels could run 24/7. I dunno about DHTs though...

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
WE GOT IT!!- Rob had his tech .guy Taras come out ( great guy)- Seems that the USB wires inside the Lampi were either not connected or crossed- could not get the answer- Any way all is well- thanks so much for all your input- Now to let it burn in and see what it sounds like!!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
WE GOT IT!!- Rob had his tech .guy Taras come out ( great guy)- Seems that the USB wires inside the Lampi were either not connected or crossed- could not get the answer- Any way all is well- thanks so much for all your input- Now to let it burn in and see what it sounds like!!

Glad to see it working!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing