G'day from Australia Melbourne

JohnA

Jun 6, 2014
Hello everyone.
I was pointed to this site by a friend, and must admit, i like what i have seen so far, and thats the main reason i have joined up.
I am a bit of an audio nut and have been building my system slowly over the last 6 years.
Look forward to spending some time on here learning more and sharing my thoughts also

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello JohnA and welcome to the forum. :)

Tom

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Welcome friend to the show that never ends. (excuse the paraphrasing! :) ).

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Hi JA, good to see you here on the forum! Yes I can endorse the "audio nut" tag! Look forward to reading your contributions..

Cheers,
Bodhi

JohnA

Jun 6, 2014
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Bodhi, good to see you here also. How is that system of yours going mate

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Bodhi, good to see you here also. How is that system of yours going mate
YW John! My system has changed a lot, though there is still a lot of development to come. The S5's are proving to be pretty amazing speakers. I am certainly excited about my plans. I'll be posting a big update by the end of the year ;)

JohnA

Jun 6, 2014
Fancy seeing you here mate, welcome.

hey mate, good to see another familiar name on here :)

YW John! My system has changed a lot, though there is still a lot of development to come. The S5's are proving to be pretty amazing speakers. I am certainly excited about my plans. I'll be posting a big update by the end of the year ;)

cool, looking forward to the update. Our new house should also be done by August, so i should also be going through some changes.
Will be taking my current speakers with me, but have now also got another 2 in my sites to trade over to.

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
hey mate, good to see another familiar name on here :)

cool, looking forward to the update. Our new house should also be done by August, so i should also be going through some changes.
Will be taking my current speakers with me, but have now also got another 2 in my sites to trade over to.

So no SGReinvented anymore John?
Re the armwand I'll get back to you next week if that's cool.

JohnA

Jun 6, 2014
So no SGReinvented anymore John?
Re the armwand I'll get back to you next week if that's cool.

i wasnt going to do it till i moved into the new house.
Once i do i'll assess them, go audition the 2 new speakers i am thinking off then decide.
If i find my current ones are still the better of the lot, then yep, i'll make up some new heads for them and repaint

in all honesty though, would just prefer to **** the off and get something new

no probs regarding the armwand mate. No real rush on my part
I wasnt going to grab that univector till after my european holiday anyways

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
i wasnt going to do it till i moved into the new house.
Once i do i'll assess them, go audition the 2 new speakers i am thinking off then decide.
If i find my current ones are still the better of the lot, then yep, i'll make up some new heads for them and repaint

in all honesty though, would just prefer to **** the off and get something new

no probs regarding the armwand mate. No real rush on my part
I wasnt going to grab that univector till after my european holiday anyways
Hard life, new house, speakers and European holiday.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Not interested in Halcro anymore mate, Karan KA M 900's are my intention.
Karan is very nice & one of the more musical amps in high end. They are warm sounding which suit the Tad's. That said, i've only heard the Tad Evolution One's, and only in show conditions. Given the nature of those speakers, you want amp(s) which are warm, smooth, natural sounding, pure & fast, with good current/stability. But I don't know if you need 900 watt amps with 90db, 6ohm speakers (4.1ohm floor)? At the Melbourne Show I found the Evolution One's strident sounding paired with Dag Momentum amps. The Ref One's would be much better of course.

If you're open to tubes, I know a guy who paired his CR1's with the CJ Art/Gat amps and said that was an amazing combo. Then again, that guy is known to wax lyrical about all his gear! But I could imagine it being so. I guess in summary I would aim for quality (watts) over quantity if it were me.

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Geez if you savor your ears --keep Halcros away from the TAD's-in fact Halcro's away from anything:)

BD

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
i heard monoblock karans at 2012 show - don't know which model they were, but the sound was b i g and smooth.
quite nice i thought, for solid state.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing