Any Karan Acqustics owners here?

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Me too I'm looking with more and more interest to Karan electronics and especially the Kas400, but it's hard to find it in the used market or for an audition. Last month one item at a very reasonable price in Holland was quickly sold. We must admit that Karan Power amps are not exactly "lightweight" ... going into a range of 65-100 kg each... in my situation of upper 5th floor (and at the moment with a lift out of order) It will be not possibile for me to make a try...
In any case here in Northern Italy a reputated audiophile has superb results driving a pair of MBL 101d with a KAS-600...

Did he post impressions online?

What was the price the S400 sold for?

From everything I read it seems the S600 is the amp that really brings incredible performance and is a big step above the S400.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
What would you choose between Pass and Karan though ?

Pass is more musical and meaty IMO.
What type of sound do you like ?
If you want something very fast, transparent, neutral, a little lean but sweet sounding than you will like Karan.
I have made some comparisons at my dealers with a KAS 600 and the best results we got was with a tube preamp or tube DAC in the chain, a full Karan rig was pretty boring or not engaging.
Again this is only my opinion and my taste.
I never make a purchase decision without auditioning.
Look at Kingfisher's rig, he is using his Karan monos with Audio research pre and Lampizator DAC, this must me an awsome sounding rig.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Pass is more musical and meaty IMO.
What type of sound do you like ?
If you want something very fast, transparent, neutral, a little lean but sweet sounding than you will like Karan.
I have made some comparisons at my dealers with a KAS 600 and the best results we got was with a tube preamp or tube DAC in the chain, a full Karan rig was pretty boring or not engaging.
Again this is only my opinion and my taste.
I never make a purchase decision without auditioning.
Look at Kingfisher's rig, he is using his Karan monos with Audio research pre and Lampizator DAC, this must me an awsome sounding rig.

Hrm. I am thinking of maybe cancelling my demo and just focusing on finding an X250.8 or 350.8 for a good price. I know that if I buy Pass I will probably love it and if I don't I can always sell.

I guess I like a neutral sound, I do like sparkle in the treble but I like weight in the mids and powerful bass. My old brystons were quite good but maybe slightly lean. I don't want to go mcintosh warm but something slightly warmer than bryston maybe.

My friend is telling me not to buy the karan because of poor re-sale ability.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hrm. I am thinking of maybe cancelling my demo and just focusing on finding an X250.8 or 350.8 for a good price. I know that if I buy Pass I will probably love it and if I don't I can always sell.

I guess I like a neutral sound, I do like sparkle in the treble but I like weight in the mids and powerful bass. My old brystons were quite good but maybe slightly lean. I don't want to go mcintosh warm but something slightly warmer than bryston maybe.

My friend is telling me not to buy the karan because of poor re-sale ability.

Your Friend is right, if you buy Karan you will not want to re-sale it.
From what you are describing the Karan sound could suit you.
If you like Bryston than i can tell you right away that Karan is better no doubt about that.
Pass obviously has a much better re-sale value.
Good luck.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Thanks man. I am thinking of buying Pass... maybe X150.8 and then doing my Karan trial and seeing what wins.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks man. I am thinking of buying Pass... maybe X150.8 and then doing my Karan trial and seeing what wins.

Yes you should do your Karan trial anyway if you have a chance before making a decision.
Good luck in your search.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Well ya if I do the trial and compare to teh pass and Karan is better, I can sell my pass without too much trouble probably.

kenniGT

Feb 10, 2016
London, UK
I am considering this amp? How do you like it? Anyone else have experience with Karan?

Total control over my FS Ktema speakers, very smooth, musical, dynamic, probably one of the best sold state amps out there for the price. I use it with tube Ayon CD35 preamp/cd/sacd/dac/DSDupsampler. Very good combination in my opinion, and quite simple system, not to many boxes :)

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Total control over my FS Ktema speakers, very smooth, musical, dynamic, probably one of the best sold state amps out there for the price. I use it with tube Ayon CD35 preamp/cd/sacd/dac/DSDupsampler. Very good combination in my opinion, and quite simple system, not to many boxes :)

Which model do you have? Have you compared it to any other amps like pass labs or luxman ?

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I used to have the KAS 270 and KAL ref with phono on Von Schiewert Audio unifield 2 speakers. I ve changed two years ago to an integrated (Vitus Ri 101) with an Allnic phono. Before to get the Allnic, I was using the phono stage of the KAL with the tape output. I ve found the the Vitus Ri 101 has a reacher sound (in the high) and more warm. The sound stage has a little bit more deep with the Karan. I heard from a friend (with very good ears) that Karan has improved the high with the KAS600 compared to the KAS 450 and KAS 270.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Ya I talked to an audiophile today who loved the S600 and had the KA L ref preamp. He preferred audio research ref6 pre though and said he would take XA series pass over S600 but they are similar level of performance with pass being more reliable.

kenniGT

Feb 10, 2016
London, UK
I also heard that older preamps will not extract most from power amps. New Karan top preamp should do the job though. I am using Ayon CD35 tube preamp section to control it and it works well in my opinion.

@tobiasrankin I had Hegel H300 before and tested MSB S201 but with my previous speakers Focal Sopra 2. MSB was not huge enough difference to justify the price. Karan listening was separated in time, so hard to compare. Would love to test more ,but as I am happy with the sound at the moment, I would rather not ;)

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I talked to one guy who has experience with Karan and Pass. He says the Karan amps are very good and in the same league as Pass XA series. He recommends at minimum S600 though. He did say though he feels Pass will be more reliable.

If I could get a good used S600 for a great price wouldn't mind checking it out, looks like a truly beastly amp.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
108CY of this parish has the massive Monoblocks in his armoury. He likes them I believe.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing