Any Karan Acqustics owners here?

jsjenkins168

Aug 16, 2016
Austin, TX USA
Hi guys i'm still considering the Karan KA S600 for my new system but would like to know how it would mate with a Nagra Classic preamp ?
My speakers are Thiel CS 3.7s therefore i would prefer to have tubes in the chain.
At the end of the month i sould be auditioning at home a pair of Ypsilon Aelius ll monoblocks, if ever they end up short in current i would have to look at Karan KAS 600, D'agostino Classic stereo or BAT VK-655SE.

I have not listened to the Nagra Classic preamp, but did for a period use a Exemplar Audio WMTS XP-2 preamp which utilizes tubes with my KAM2000. The KAS600 is internally very similar to a single KAM2000 (same chassis) but with dual input/outputs for stereo so should have a similar sonic characteristics. I thought I would always keep the Exemplar because liked its subtle tube sound with my otherwise all solid state electronics. The Karan amps are a touch on the warm side tonally and lack the solid-state "harshness" I have experienced with SS amps in the past so I actually eliminated the preamp and now just feed the Karans directly from the DAC. It is as close to sound of tubes that I personally have heard with all solid state electronics. It sounded great with the tube preamp in place, but with the source and the Karans having such a wide bandwidth and low noise floor I gained more detail retrieval and extension at the high/low extremes without tubes in the chain.

One note about the KAS600 is I would only recommend it if you have a true balanced source and pre-amp connected via XLR. You can run the Karan single-ended, but being a push/pull design it is far better to utilize balanced input to get the most out of the amp.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I have not listened to the Nagra Classic preamp, but did for a period use a Exemplar Audio WMTS XP-2 preamp which utilizes tubes with my KAM2000. The KAS600 is internally very similar to a single KAM2000 (same chassis) but with dual input/outputs for stereo so should have a similar sonic characteristics. I thought I would always keep the Exemplar because liked its subtle tube sound with my otherwise all solid state electronics. The Karan amps are a touch on the warm side tonally and lack the solid-state "harshness" I have experienced with SS amps in the past so I actually eliminated the preamp and now just feed the Karans directly from the DAC. It is as close to sound of tubes that I personally have heard with all solid state electronics. It sounded great with the tube preamp in place, but with the source and the Karans having such a wide bandwidth and low noise floor I gained more detail retrieval and extension at the high/low extremes without tubes in the chain.

One note about the KAS600 is I would only recommend it if you have a true balanced source and pre-amp connected via XLR. You can run the Karan single-ended, but being a push/pull design it is far better to utilize balanced input to get the most out of the amp.

jsjenkins168 what DAC are you using to feed your Karan monoblocks ?

myrman

Aug 30, 2016
Another Karan owner here. I have the KAL Ref MkII pre with a KAS180 into Gershman Avant Gardes. I also own the integrated.

kingfisher

May 25, 2017
Istanbul, Turkey
Karan KA-M 900 mono's , a match in heaven for TAD R1 Mk2's thanks to their musicality, tube like sound and high damping factor And they never get hot ! It's magical...My search is over. Highly recommended to all TAD speakers owners.

jsjenkins168

Aug 16, 2016
Austin, TX USA
Very nice setup kingfisher. I noticed they open up noticeably after about 50 hrs of burn-in. The cool running operation is nice, due to the continuously sliding Class A bias.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Hi guys i'm still considering the Karan KA S600 for my new system but would like to know how it would mate with a Nagra Classic preamp ?
My speakers are Thiel CS 3.7s therefore i would prefer to have tubes in the chain.
At the end of the month i sould be auditioning at home a pair of Ypsilon Aelius ll monoblocks, if ever they end up short in current i would have to look at Karan KAS 600, D'agostino Classic stereo or BAT VK-655SE.

So what about your audition? Did you like the Ypsilon monoblocks? Did you listen to D'Agostino or BAT?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
So what about your audition? Did you like the Ypsilon monoblocks? Did you listen to D'Agostino or BAT?

Yes the Ypsilon Aelius monos were better to my taste compared to the Karan KAS 600.
Did not audition d'Agostino neither BAT yet, perhaps at coming Munich show.
The Karan lack magic and emotion compared to the Ypsilon to my taste.

Thieliste

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Those are beautiful amps...the very few times I've been able to hear Karan monos in the USA have been a treat. I've always wished they would distribute in the
US; as kingfisher says below, I believe they would be a perfect match for my TAD R1 Mk2s! Congratulations all who are able to own them!!!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys i wonder how a Karan KAS600 driven by Aries Cerat Impera II Ref preamp would sound ?
Any idea ?

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
The 400 is a really nice amp, well ahead of the junior 180 range. Some reviews suggest Karan are on the warm side. I haven't got extensive experience but my impression is rather than tending to the warm side of neutral they don't sound cool. Very revealing of the changes made to the rest of the system, always a good sign.

As always it'll depend on what you're running. I've heard Karan work really well on the end of a Conrad Johnson tube pre-amp. Someone on this thread mentioned Karan amps need to be run balanced, not my experience. I've heard the UK importer use single ended output CJ and Zanden pre's successfully

Please update if you decide to go with it

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I am considering this amp? How do you like it? Anyone else have experience with Karan?

If you go the Karan route you better have a tube amp or a very musical DAC like Totaldac or Lampizator to balance things.
I found Karan to be too neutral to my taste, i much prefer Ghyphon sound, more meat and musical.
Depends on your preferences.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
The 400 is a really nice amp, well ahead of the junior 180 range. Some reviews suggest Karan are on the warm side. I haven't got extensive experience but my impression is rather than tending to the warm side of neutral they don't sound cool. Very revealing of the changes made to the rest of the system, always a good sign.

As always it'll depend on what you're running. I've heard Karan work really well on the end of a Conrad Johnson tube pre-amp. Someone on this thread mentioned Karan amps need to be run balanced, not my experience. I've heard the UK importer use single ended output CJ and Zanden pre's successfully

Please update if you decide to go with it

Right now have an audio gd HE9 preamp. Its maybe not at the level of Karan but still a good performer for the price.

If you go the Karan route you better have a tube amp or a very musical DAC like Totaldac or Lampizator to balance things.
I found Karan to be too neutral to my taste, i much prefer Ghyphon sound, more meat and musical.
Depends on your preferences.

My dac is denafrips terminator v2. I think it is slightly warm so hopefully that will help.

I was also considering pass labs X series, have either of you guys compared Karan to Pass labs? Considering X150.8, 250.8. Its really hard to find much online about Karan, especially S400, there is only like one review.

Thanks!

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Right now have an audio gd HE9 preamp. Its maybe not at the level of Karan but still a good performer for the price.

My dac is denafrips terminator v2. I think it is slightly warm so hopefully that will help.

I was also considering pass labs X series, have either of you guys compared Karan to Pass labs? Considering X150.8, 250.8. Its really hard to find much online about Karan, especially S400, there is only like one review.

Thanks!

I would choose Luxman M-900U over Karan KAS 400 and Pass X series if your speakers are not too difficult load.
Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Its really hard to find much online about Karan, especially S400, there is only like one review
Me too I'm looking with more and more interest to Karan electronics and especially the Kas400, but it's hard to find it in the used market or for an audition. Last month one item at a very reasonable price in Holland was quickly sold. We must admit that Karan Power amps are not exactly "lightweight" ... going into a range of 65-100 kg each... in my situation of upper 5th floor (and at the moment with a lift out of order) It will be not possibile for me to make a try...
In any case here in Northern Italy a reputated audiophile has superb results driving a pair of MBL 101d with a KAS-600...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing