Untitled Document

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Karan Acqustics owners here?

Quote Originally Posted by Thieliste View Post
    Hi guys i'm still considering the Karan KA S600 for my new system but would like to know how it would mate with a Nagra Classic preamp ?
    My speakers are Thiel CS 3.7s therefore i would prefer to have tubes in the chain.
    At the end of the month i sould be auditioning at home a pair of Ypsilon Aelius ll monoblocks, if ever they end up short in current i would have to look at Karan KAS 600, D'agostino Classic stereo or BAT VK-655SE.
    I have not listened to the Nagra Classic preamp, but did for a period use a Exemplar Audio WMTS XP-2 preamp which utilizes tubes with my KAM2000. The KAS600 is internally very similar to a single KAM2000 (same chassis) but with dual input/outputs for stereo so should have a similar sonic characteristics. I thought I would always keep the Exemplar because liked its subtle tube sound with my otherwise all solid state electronics. The Karan amps are a touch on the warm side tonally and lack the solid-state "harshness" I have experienced with SS amps in the past so I actually eliminated the preamp and now just feed the Karans directly from the DAC. It is as close to sound of tubes that I personally have heard with all solid state electronics. It sounded great with the tube preamp in place, but with the source and the Karans having such a wide bandwidth and low noise floor I gained more detail retrieval and extension at the high/low extremes without tubes in the chain.

One note about the KAS600 is I would only recommend it if you have a true balanced source and pre-amp connected via XLR. You can run the Karan single-ended, but being a push/pull design it is far better to utilize balanced input to get the most out of the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjenkins168 View Post
    I have not listened to the Nagra Classic preamp, but did for a period use a Exemplar Audio WMTS XP-2 preamp which utilizes tubes with my KAM2000. The KAS600 is internally very similar to a single KAM2000 (same chassis) but with dual input/outputs for stereo so should have a similar sonic characteristics. I thought I would always keep the Exemplar because liked its subtle tube sound with my otherwise all solid state electronics. The Karan amps are a touch on the warm side tonally and lack the solid-state "harshness" I have experienced with SS amps in the past so I actually eliminated the preamp and now just feed the Karans directly from the DAC. It is as close to sound of tubes that I personally have heard with all solid state electronics. It sounded great with the tube preamp in place, but with the source and the Karans having such a wide bandwidth and low noise floor I gained more detail retrieval and extension at the high/low extremes without tubes in the chain.

One note about the KAS600 is I would only recommend it if you have a true balanced source and pre-amp connected via XLR. You can run the Karan single-ended, but being a push/pull design it is far better to utilize balanced input to get the most out of the amp.
    jsjenkins168 what DAC are you using to feed your Karan monoblocks ?
    Speakers : Thiel CS 3.7
    Amp : Classé CAP-151
    Source : Hegel HD12
    Interconnect : Cardas Golden Cross XLR
    Speaker cable : Siltech LS4-120
    Headphone rig : Kennerton Odin + Chord Hugo 2

jsjenkins168 what DAC are you using to feed your Karan monoblocks ?
    I am currently using the balanced output on a Chord DAVE to feed the Karan amps.

Another Karan owner here. I have the KAL Ref MkII pre with a KAS180 into Gershman Avant Gardes. I also own the integrated.

Name:  IMG_3778.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  126.7 KB

Karan KA-M 900 mono's , a match in heaven for TAD R1 Mk2's thanks to their musicality, tube like sound and high damping factor �� And they never get hot ! It's magical...My search is over. Highly recommended to all TAD speakers owners.

Very nice setup kingfisher. I noticed they open up noticeably after about 50 hrs of burn-in. The cool running operation is nice, due to the continuously sliding Class A bias.

Hi guys i'm still considering the Karan KA S600 for my new system but would like to know how it would mate with a Nagra Classic preamp ?
    My speakers are Thiel CS 3.7s therefore i would prefer to have tubes in the chain.
    At the end of the month i sould be auditioning at home a pair of Ypsilon Aelius ll monoblocks, if ever they end up short in current i would have to look at Karan KAS 600, D'agostino Classic stereo or BAT VK-655SE.
    So what about your audition? Did you like the Ypsilon monoblocks? Did you listen to D'Agostino or BAT?
    Triangle Magellan Cello 2 < AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V < BAT VK-600SE < AudioQuest Hurricane High-Current DBS 72V < AudioQuest NRG-10 DBS 72V < AudioQuest WEL XLR DBS 72V < exaSound e22 DAC w Paul Hynes SR3-12 LPS < Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server < UpTone ISORegen w USPCB A-B < AudioQuest Diamond USB DBS 216V < MacMini w UpTone DC-Conversion Kit < Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE/Classic < IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3 < Furutech FT-SWS < HiFi Tuning Supreme 3 < Solid Tech Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
    So what about your audition? Did you like the Ypsilon monoblocks? Did you listen to D'Agostino or BAT?
    Yes the Ypsilon Aelius monos were better to my taste compared to the Karan KAS 600.
    Did not audition d'Agostino neither BAT yet, perhaps at coming Munich show.
    The Karan lack magic and emotion compared to the Ypsilon to my taste.

Thieliste
    Speakers : Thiel CS 3.7
    Amp : Classé CAP-151
    Source : Hegel HD12
    Interconnect : Cardas Golden Cross XLR
    Speaker cable : Siltech LS4-120
    Headphone rig : Kennerton Odin + Chord Hugo 2

Those are beautiful amps...the very few times I've been able to hear Karan monos in the USA have been a treat. I've always wished they would distribute in the
    US; as kingfisher says below, I believe they would be a perfect match for my TAD R1 Mk2s! Congratulations all who are able to own them!!!
    TAD R1 MkII, w/ULTRA5s, Esoteric P02, D02, C02, A02, Cybershaft Premium Limited OP21 10 mHz, IsoTek EVO3 TITAN & SIGMAS, EVO3 OPTIMUM Umbilical, 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8, Granite Audio Ground Zero, Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold, Statement Gold & Statement Silver PCs, Elrod Statement Gold XLR, Shunyata SIGMA AES, SIGMA CLOCK-50, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold custom speaker cables & MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS, Adona AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast