KT150 v KT120 Tubes

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Seems there are lots of happy lunatics on WBF that spend big bucks on PCs and PLCs.

Still using the stock PC on my REF 75, and like you, bypassing my Silver Circle 5.0SE and going direct into a Furutech GTX-D outlet.

I am using the same outlet.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Seems there are lots of happy lunatics on WBF that spend big bucks on PCs and PLCs.

Still using the stock PC on my REF 75, and like you, bypassing my Silver Circle 5.0SE and going direct into a Furutech GTX-D outlet.

Definitely "lunatics", happy some days yes, others not as much.

Secret one is never never NEVER tell your wife or significant other how much it costs.

Secret two is upgrade with things that look like something else and if she asks you if something has changed, just deny. For example, going from the Micros to the Baby Grands, no way I could lie, but "hey, I got a deal I couldn't refuse". Going from the Baby Grands to Baby Grands Series II was an easy one. Going from the Baby Grands to Concert Grands actually wasn't too tough, although she didn't quite understand why one was impossible to move and the other ones she actually could help. Just a shake of the head, nothing more.

Come on, cables, how much could those cost?? Same for an idiotic power cord. Going from a REF5 to a REF10 she didn't even notice the second box.

Now comes the good part. Going from REF250s to a little REF75 I could brag how much money "I made" and we have less "stuff". I almost got as much love as my three pedigrees who I am now currently training to take dumps on my new tubes as per MEP, although I have a feeling my wife get a little suspicious with that one, but hey, why not.

What once was a pretty nice "entertainment" room has been morphed into a audiophile lunatic asylum just the way we nuts prefer it.

I do have one problem. First time in my audiophile life, since 1984 that my wife actually likes what she hears so much she wants to listen with me. Time to dismantle the rig!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

Secret one is never never NEVER tell your wife or significant other how much it costs.

Secret two is upgrade with things that look like something else and if she asks you if something has changed, just deny. For example, going from the Micros to the Baby Grands, no way I could lie, but "hey, I got a deal I couldn't refuse". Going from the Baby Grands to Baby Grands Series II was an easy one. Going from the Baby Grands to Concert Grands actually wasn't too tough, although she didn't quite understand why one was impossible to move and the other ones she actually could help. Just a shake of the head, nothing more.

Come on, cables, how much could those cost?? Same for an idiotic power cord. Going from a REF5 to a REF10 she didn't even notice the second box.

Now comes the good part. Going from REF250s to a little REF75 I could brag how much money "I made" and we have less "stuff". I almost got as much love as my three pedigrees who I am now currently training to take dumps on my new tubes as per MEP, although I have a feeling my wife get a little suspicious with that one, but hey, why not.

What once was a pretty nice "entertainment" room has been morphed into a audiophile lunatic asylum just the way we nuts prefer it.

I do have one problem. First time in my audiophile life, since 1984 that my wife actually likes what she hears so much she wants to listen with me. Time to dismantle the rig!

You're a lucky man.

Your wife has my vote for sainthood.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Why do you think Audio Research never changed the look of their faceplates? :) Of course as my ex-said in her column in Stereophile, they don't notice the money missing from the bank account.

So you also need to add don't let the wife near the checkbook. Or have separate bank accounts. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
FWIW, I checked with the US Zanden dist. and was told NOT to attempt to use the 150 tube in my Model 6000.:(o

Well, as a fellow Zanden-phile, I feel sure your 6000 sounds phenomenal in any event!!!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
FWIW, I checked with the US Zanden dist. and was told NOT to attempt to use the 150 tube in my Model 6000.:(o

That probably means you can't run KT-120 tubes either.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
^^^ Yes since they spec virtually identical I would not plug in KT120 or KT150 if the manufacturer advises against it. KT120/KT150 are virtual twins on the data sheet (can't speak to their sound) and have different characteristics (transconductance, plate and filament voltage/current, etc.) than the 6550/KT88.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Why do you think Audio Research never changed the look of their faceplates? :) Of course as my ex-said in her column in Stereophile, they don't notice the money missing from the bank account.

So you also need to add don't let the wife near the checkbook. Or have separate bank accounts. :)

Myles,

The good news there is that all my banking is done via Quicken and online and my wife can't stand computers. So I have that covered.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
You're a lucky man.

Your wife has my vote for sainthood.

You are NOT the first person to say that and not just because of the audio stuff. To put up with me is not easy, I will be the first to admit it.

Despite my best to surreptitiously "upgrade" my equipment from time to time when she sees me getting new boxes and schlepping all kinds of crap upstairs she knows better than to ask and just shakes her head and gives me that look of "whatever".

But the good news and on a serious note I am pretty much done, except for a minor tweak here an there. I am really happy with my system now.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
But the good news and on a serious note I am pretty much done, except for a minor tweak here an there. I am really happy with my system now.

Famous last words. ;)

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Famous last words. ;)

Of course. You think I believe what I wrote? It is a rationalization. Unlike others on these threads I am not married to what I have and don't feel compelled to justify it as "the best" as someone with the initials JD aka Michael feels compelled to do.

I think Deniro said it best in the movie Heat: "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat"

It's a good motto "for this is the life we chose" as so eloquently stated by the infamous Hyman Roth.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

^^^ Yes since they spec virtually identical I would not plug in KT120 or KT150 if the manufacturer advises against it. KT120/KT150 are virtual twins on the data sheet (can't speak to their sound) and have different characteristics (transconductance, plate and filament voltage/current, etc.) than the 6550/KT88.

That probably means you can't run KT-120 tubes either.

Hang on...isn't the Zanden 6000 already designed with KT120s? I wonder why they don't recommend trying KT150s if they are the same spec? Sorry - not a techie, so apologies if the answer is obvious to others...

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Maybe that they are just playing it safe for now..From the distributor......

"Hi Steve,

It's good to hear from you. You purchased your model 6000 from Andy Singer, right?

We are aware of the KT-150 tube, and we are interested in it. Everyone likes more power.

However, I feel certain that you CANNOT use it as a drop in replacement for the KT-120s in your model 6000. I will discuss it with Mr. Yamada, but please do NOT put those tubes in your integrated amplifier.

We are glad to hear that you are a "proud owner." We hope that our products bring you closer to the music.

Enjoy the weekend.

Best Wishes,

eric"

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Maybe that they are just playing it safe for now..From the distributor......

"Hi Steve,

It's good to hear from you. You purchased your model 6000 from Andy Singer, right?

We are aware of the KT-150 tube, and we are interested in it. Everyone likes more power.

However, I feel certain that you CANNOT use it as a drop in replacement for the KT-120s in your model 6000. I will discuss it with Mr. Yamada, but please do NOT put those tubes in your integrated amplifier.

We are glad to hear that you are a "proud owner." We hope that our products bring you closer to the music.

Enjoy the weekend.

Best Wishes,

eric"

Eric Pheils is a very, very good guy. I have been speaking with him for many years now, and he has never failed to help me and provide me with solid advice. I suggest you follow up with him after a little while to see if Yamada San has any further advice.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Hang on...isn't the Zanden 6000 already designed with KT120s? I wonder why they don't recommend trying KT150s if they are the same spec? Sorry - not a techie, so apologies if the answer is obvious to others...

It wouldn't surprise me if manufacturers don't "recommend" based on stock tubes they have already pre-purchased and what prior buyers might complain about if the "new" ones are now sold with the same amps or if they would now have to change pricing.

I would expect much of the reasoning has to do with this

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I'll be doing the 120 to 150 swap in a couple of weeks in the Ref 75 and will report back.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Looking forward to your opinion Bob. I'm seriously considering a Ref 75 for myself.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Looking forward to your opinion Bob. I'm seriously considering a Ref 75 for myself.

Great , will let you know. The 210 monos have served me well for many years, but from what little I've heard of them0, the Ref 75 seems a significant step up. A friend who I very much trust and has the same speakers as me thinks the 75 with 150s is absolutely outstanding and clearly better than with the 120s. He ran CJs before the 75 btw.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing