KT150 v KT120 Tubes

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I am so curious. I am tempted to run KT-150's in my CJ gear but I will not do it without contacting Conrad Johnson and asking.

Great , will let you know. The 210 monos have served me well for many years, but from what little I've heard of them0, the Ref 75 seems a significant step up. A friend who I very much trust and has the same speakers as me thinks the 75 with 150s is absolutely outstanding and clearly better than with the 120s. He ran CJs before the 75 btw.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I am so curious. I am tempted to run KT-150's in my CJ gear but I will not do it without contacting Conrad Johnson and asking.

Definitely check w/CJ. The 210s, forex., require a power supply upgrade to go from 88s to 120s. The 75 is plug 'n play from 120s to 150s.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
+1

KT88 = 1.6 A filament (heater) current @ 6.3 V, 800 V max plate voltage (typ run much lower), max 42 W anode dissipation
KT120/150 = 1.7 - 2 A heater current @ 6.3 V, 850 V max plate voltage (ditto), max 60 W anode dissipation

The step from KT88 to KT120/150 is significant and I would not expect that to be a drop-in swap (unless you just want to say you're running KT120s with no real benefit).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing