Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Advice For Using A Mint Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by slowGEEZR View Post
    Gordon, it's true that there is some additional effort with vinyl, but to me at least it is well worth it. Today, for example, I listened to Holly Cole's Temptation album on vinyl and was blown away by how good it sounded. This was the first time I had listened to the whole album on my new turntable and I was really enjoying it. It was so good, I decided to listen to it again, this time on digital. Sad to say, but it wasn't even close, IMO. The vinyl didn't just wipe the floor with the digital, it kicked it to the curb. Now, I have to overlook the few ticks or pops and sometimes some extra sibilance with vinyl, but the extra vividness and realism is exceptional to me.
    +1. I generally use digital source as to check the alignment (including vta, vtf, zenith, overhang) of cartridge/tonearm combination. If digital sounds close or if there is not a clear difference, it reminds me that analog is not properly set up and that pays off. Currently, my analog setup is so superior to my digital source such that one does not need to be an audiophile to decide. Last night I did some listening and also compared some lp to digital not only cd but dsd as well to check the final alignment with my new cartridge (Zyx Universe Premium Edition). Miles Davis - Cooking 33 rpm 180 gr vs cd vs xrcd vs dsd, then Patricia Barber - Cole Porter Mix 33rpm 180gr vs cd, Claire Martin - Too Darn Hot 180 gr 33rpm vs dsd. Again no comparison. When switching to vinyl, there is almost no going back to digital. But to get to that, proper alignment of cartridge via a good protractor including right azimuth setting (thanks to Fozgometer and Adjust+ that I both have) is crucial. For sure, I have not listened to best of DCS gear, there has been a thread under digital that finally best digital is almost at par with a good analog setup. Curious to know.
    Analog: Acoustic Solid Royal / Ikeda 407, Graham Elite / Ikeda Kai, ZYX Universe Premium / ARC Ref Phono 10
    Digital: DCS Vivaldi Transport, DAC, Clock
    Preamp:
    Amps: Constellation Hercules II Monos
    Speakers: Magico M Project
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus IC & SC, Ref MM2 phono, Ref XL AES/EBU & clock
    Power: Shunyata Triton V2, Typhon / Stage III Leviathan (x2), Kraken (x7)
    Racks: SRA Scuttle (x3), Ohio XL+^2 (x4)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dmnc02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by number95 View Post
    +1. I generally use digital source as to check the alignment (including vta, vtf, zenith, overhang) of cartridge/tonearm combination. If digital sounds close or if there is not a clear difference, it reminds me that analog is not properly set up and that pays off. Currently, my analog setup is so superior to my digital source such that one does not need to be an audiophile to decide. Last night I did some listening and also compared some lp to digital not only cd but dsd as well to check the final alignment with my new cartridge (Zyx Universe Premium Edition). Miles Davis - Cooking 33 rpm 180 gr vs cd vs xrcd vs dsd, then Patricia Barber - Cole Porter Mix 33rpm 180gr vs cd, Claire Martin - Too Darn Hot 180 gr 33rpm vs dsd. Again no comparison. When switching to vinyl, there is almost no going back to digital. But to get to that, proper alignment of cartridge via a good protractor including right azimuth setting (thanks to Fozgometer and Adjust+ that I both have) is crucial. For sure, I have not listened to best of DCS gear, there has been a thread under digital that finally best digital is almost at par with a good analog setup. Curious to know.
    +2. I also find comparison with a digital source useful when fine tuning my analog setup.
    Analog: TechDas Air Force One, Graham Phantom Elite, Lyra Atlas; Digital: MacMini, RWA Black Lightning PSU, EMM Labs DAC2X; Amplification: ARC REF Phono 10, REF 10, REF 250; Speakers: Vandersteen 7; Cables: Nordost Odin Phono, Kimber Select ICs & SCs, Shunyata Alpha & Ξtron PCs, Synergistic Active SE USB & Ethernet; Tweaks: Equi=Tech 10WQ, Shunyata Cyclops, HRS M3X, Stillpoints Ultra, Entreq Silver Tellus, Synergistic ART, HFT, RED, XOT, Tranquility Bases & Transporter Ultra SE

Any suggestions as to a magnifying lens or loupe? I've seen the Peak one Yip sells but I was looking for other options.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345