Just went from dCS Scarlatti to dCS Vivaldi DAC

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I only have 25 hours of playing/warm up time/break in time on the new dac...all I can say is holy smokes...this is a profound change in digital reproduction. And I know I have 500-1000 hours of break-in to go through.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic news!!! I have spent some time with a DCS Vivaldi system, Constellation amps and your amazing Rockport Altair 2s...quite a system. Enjoy!!! Look forward to more feedback.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I only have 25 hours of playing/warm up time/break in time on the new dac...all I can say is holy smokes...this is a profound change in digital reproduction. And I know I have 500-1000 hours of break-in to go through.

What digital files are you listening to (RB, Hi-Rez, DSD)?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi, right now just using my Scarlatti Trans & Clock mostly DSD/SACD...might try some downloads this weekend...and the highest dxd sample rates...

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi, right now just using my Scarlatti Trans & Clock mostly DSD/SACD...might try some downloads this weekend...and the highest dxd sample rates...

Hi jfrech,

Congratulation!
Your audio system and the listening room as shown in the small photo are fabulous!

Would you share with us why you take Scaratti transport & clock but not to install an all-Vivaldi set?
Many thanks!

CK

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have owned the Scarlatti stack for a few years...all I could afford was moving the Vivaldi dac at this time...

Here is a little better pic (I should have a few more posted on WBF) but this pic still has the Scarlatti dac on the top left rack shelf...

1368453523.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Big Congratulations John. I just sent you an email alerting you to some SME tables for sale. Then I happened upon this thread. I guess your attention is focused elsewhere for the time being. Enjoy the system and please update us as things break in.

Hi Peter, I just saw your note, will reply very soon. and Thank you !

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I have owned the Scarlatti stack for a few years...all I could afford was moving the Vivaldi dac at this time...
Here is a little better pic (I should have a few more posted on WBF) but this pic still has the Scarlatti dac on the top left rack shelf...
View attachment 16030

My saliva is drooling!

gshelley

Member Sponsor
Jan 10, 2011
Austin, TX
John,
Congrat's! Would love to come hear it. Actually a little afraid to...
Need to hear your new cables now that they have more hours on them too.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great news John. The Vivaldi is one of the two more musical and true DACs I have listened. You should try some soprano voices soon!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
That's quite a commitment for an analog guy. Best of luck and enjoy.

It is...I put my next phono stage on hold for this. It's a pretty special piece and while I will never give up my analog, I think "top end" digital is now at point where it's on par with vinyl...it's more a tubes vs solid state argument now. Both have their merit. I feel very fortunate to have both formats and thankfully a lot of software. Some of the best sound in my system comes from music recorded to tape..then to DSD/SACD. Really the software is now dictating the preference for my listening. I'll be curious if I stick by those last words as the Vivaldi settles in...

Thanks for everyone's compliments and well wishes !

ps: i should also mention most say this takes upwards of 1000 hours to break in..I have just 48 hours now. So I am assuming it's going to get a lot better...

1402006375.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John,
Congrat's! Would love to come hear it. Actually a little afraid to...
Need to hear your new cables now that they have more hours on them too.

If you're free Sat...let me know :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing