HIFi House ceases opetaions

Davkj

Nov 4, 2012
PA
This is quite a shock. The had announced that they were relocating the Jenkintown store a few months back, but the store never closed down. I always found them helpful and friendly; quite different from some others in the area.

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
If the company shut down this suddenly, and was involved in CI, it's probably a contract problem. If you spec a high-end home for distributed audio, HVAC, home theater, comms, networking, alarms, etc, you can sometimes have $250k worth of customer's inventory either in your storeroom or in escrow. The time from pre-wire to final sign off can be several years, and if something goes badly wrong during the contract, it can kill a small company within a day.

The good news is they often reappear, and if they are good, they bring their client base with them. Here's hoping!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
If the company shut down this suddenly, and was involved in CI, it's probably a contract problem. If you spec a high-end home for distributed audio, HVAC, home theater, comms, networking, alarms, etc, you can sometimes have $250k worth of customer's inventory either in your storeroom or in escrow. The time from pre-wire to final sign off can be several years, and if something goes badly wrong during the contract, it can kill a small company within a day.

The good news is they often reappear, and if they are good, they bring their client base with them. Here's hoping!
That is not the issue. This was a banking issue and was stated as so in the releases.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Yes, the bank called in the loans and have taken control. The assets will be liquidated. I will keep an eye out for the announcement of a liquidation sale..

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes, the bank called in the loans and have taken control. The assets will be liquidated. I will keep an eye out for the announcement of a liquidation sale..

That's exactly what happened to Counterpoint.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I believe this is the future for high-end brick and mortar stores.

And why hard evidence do you have other than beliefs??? Did you actually read the story of what went on here?

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Considering how many high end stores have disappeared, I wouldn't be surprised in a lot more do in the next few years. Same with the high end manufacturers. Especially those that do not cater mostly to the ultra high end, which is what really seems to be selling the most these days worldwide. I have spoken with some about this very topic.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Joe,

If you hear of a sale would you post it here?

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Considering how many high end stores have disappeared, I wouldn't be surprised in a lot more do in the next few years. Same with the high end manufacturers. Especially those that do not cater mostly to the ultra high end, which is what really seems to be selling the most these days worldwide. I have spoken with some about this very topic.

I agree 100% with you. I made a comment earlier and someone jumped all over me like I'm coming from left field.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

And that's any different than what's gone on over the last thirty years? Show me the rates of stores closing and stores opening has changed. To me, the only difference is that new stores are taking on less overhead like rent.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
And that's any different than what's gone on over the last thirty years? Show me the rates of stores closing and stores opening has changed. To me, the only difference is that new stores are taking on less overhead like rent.

There are a lot more stores closing than opening.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There are a lot more stores closing than opening.

Show us. Prove that it's any different than how business has been conducted in high-end audio for the last 20 years+.

You still haven't answered my first question either.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing