Have there been significant improvements in microphones?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have to admit I am in complete darkness here... What's changed and improved in the last 2-3 decades?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have to admit I am in complete darkness here... What's changed and improved in the last 2-3 decades?

The main things I have seen are:

1. Prices have come down

2. Guys from the larger manufacturers have branched off to do their own thing.

There are still the name brands like Neumann, Royer, Sennheiser, Shure, Earthworks, dpa, Audio-Technica, AKG, Schoeps and others.
The boutique ones that stand out are Blue, Bock, Mojave, Cascade, Oktava, Beesneez, Lauten and Peluso.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I like Neumann for some things but they are overpriced tone controls for others... IMO!

Here's my shot at it given I have not done more than slightly dabbled for some time:

Improvements include much better manufacturability and quality control, better membranes/spiders that provide more dynamic range and greater frequency response, better transformers and preamp electronics (built-in or not), companies like Royer bringing back high-quality ribbon designs, and companies like earthworks bringing out omni instrument and measurement mics with better specs and performance than the much of the revered old models. On the lower end a lot of manufacturers have introduced low-cost medium- and large-diaphragm mics that sound pretty good for their price, and sometimes compare to mics costing much more. There are also several decent measurement mics that are very inexpensive and yet, with a calibration file, rival the more expensive earthworks, Sennheiser, and B&K measurement mics.

Bruce is in a much better position to comment, natch! - Don

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I like Neumann for some things but they are overpriced tone controls for others... IMO!

We have several Neumanns in the recording studio and tried a lot of the modern ones. No question the U67s have some foibles but if you know what they are its easy enough to use them in nearly any application in the studio or on location without coloration.

As old as they are though I have had to replace the tube socket and number of resistors in the mic body, plus had to rebuild the power supplies....

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The right one in the right place is magic, I agree. Just wish they didn't cost so durn much! And these days there are a lot of good choices. The AKG 414 variants are still among the flattest mics and much cheaper (assuming we can call $1k - $2k for a mic "cheap"), or even a Shure 81, though for measurements I still go to my earthworks M30. And kick myself for selling my wicked-expensive and super-flat B&K special.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Microphone and mic pre selection has always been a matter of taste. There will always be some "standards" that most people use, like a SM57 and 121 on a guitar cab or two 57's for snares or 7b/Re20 for VO work. Most folks like a 67 for upright bass. It's just like choosing IC's, speaker cables or even speakers. It's all just a preference. The magic happens "IN FRONT" of the mic!!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I've heard some good field recordings made with both Oktava and ADK, brands I wasn't familiar with 15 yrs ago.

Still, nothing beats the Calrec AMS Soundfield for location recording, if you can find one and afford it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing