MSB Diamond IV Select dac

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Unfortunately Yes. Bought in to the hype of free upgrade & the 10 years upgrade program

No wonder the new USB module and streamer module were released for the Analog first.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
audioblazer,

Fact is that you don't know what will happen once the new modules are released for the Diamond DACs. They WILL be released, it's just that the Analog DAC platform is more modular, and thus easier to develop the modules on.

I say you contact your dealer and/or MSB directly, and see what they have lined up for the Select.

alexandre

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
audioblazer,

Fact is that you don't know what will happen once the new modules are released for the Diamond DACs. They WILL be released, it's just that the Analog DAC platform is more modular, and thus easier to develop the modules on.

I say you contact your dealer and/or MSB directly, and see what they have lined up for the Select.

alexandre

Incorrect. The Diamond line has a very similar plug it in and screw it down. No different except you have to unscrew the top. The Analog if anything is LESS not MORE modular.

There is no excuse for these modules to have been released for the Analog prior to their top of the line.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Priaptor,

That's not what I heard from MSB.

alexandre

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Priaptor,

That's not what I heard from MSB.

alexandre

Alexandre,

I think one thing we can all agree to is that most things we hear from MSB have little chance of being correct.

The Analog can ONLY have a volume control from the factory, whereas the Diamond series has a plug in module if one decides to do it later. The Analog has three plug in card locations, whereas the Diamond has a many more input plug ins. The clock is user upgradeable in the Diamond, whatever ships from the factory with the Analog is what you get. There are a host of other things that are user upgradeable in the Diamond whereas with the exception input cards for the Analog that is all that is upgradeable.

If you consider removing 6 screws and removing the top plate of the Diamond some kind of impediment then the Diamond is much more plug and play.

Personally I think it sucks that the first significant "upgrades" that are released for their DACS, namely the QUAD DSD/DIRECT DSD USB and Server modules are released for the Analog instead of those who own Diamond variants, whether it be the "low end model" or the "select" who were promised their upgrades.

After owning my Diamond Plus for a long time now, one thing I can count on-don't listen to what MSB claims is on the horizon, etc.

Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm not going to argue with you, you have your mind set.

But the Analog DAC is the most recent platform, and thus the one they chose to develop the new modules on. They will eventually be available for the Diamond too, because, as you clearly demonstrated, it IS a fantastically modular platform too.

I was very frustrated too when I got word about the renderer, in a visit to the MSB factory, and was told that it would come out initially for the Analog DAC. But again, as I said, I was told the Analog platform, being newer, is easier to develop to.

If you want to believe there's malice behind these decisions, there's nothing I can do...

alexandre

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

But the Analog DAC is the most recent platform, and thus the one they chose to develop the new modules on. They will eventually be available for the Diamond too, because, as you clearly demonstrated, it IS a fantastically modular platform too.

I was very frustrated too when I got word about the renderer, in a visit to the MSB factory, and was told that it would come out initially for the Analog DAC. But again, as I said, I was told the Analog platform, being newer, is easier to develop to.

If you want to believe there's malice behind these decisions, there's nothing I can do...

alexandre

I am not arguing about anything or claiming malice about anything. I am just stating fact regarding which unit is more plug and play. Also the "select" is actually newer than the the Analog. And I am not sure what newer vs older has to do with the issue at hand of which should get upgrades first especially when the "older" which really is newer if we include the "Select DAC" when their "Signature" units are of the diamond varieties?

AND I share your frustration about the renderer and like so many other bonehead decisions that audiophile companies make this is just another one of them regarding selling "select" products with a claim that you are buying upgradeability etc with the newest blah blah "secret sauce" and that for the extra $$$$$$ you get the newest and first and then the first substantial upgrade they come out with is for a DAC 1/11th the price. Do I think it's "malice". NO. Do I think it's stupidity, you bet.

Likewise the UMT+ never filled that supposed server solution that could never come as Oppo never agreed to include or upgrade the 103 to do things MSB claimed they were working on to allow the UMT+ to do such as gapless as a start.

So the point is at some point you stop believing the hype and claims and just wait as that seems to be the best strategy for an MSB owner and enjoy whatever it is you have bought and ignore the other stuff.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Also the "select" is actually newer than the the Analog.

The Select DAC is based on the DAC IV platform, which is an older design than the Analog DAC.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
The Select DAC is based on the DAC IV platform, which is an older design than the Analog DAC.

Yes Adam I understand that and I was saying it tongue in cheek. The point is that it was sold as a "new" secret sauce, first to get upgrades, etc edition of their old platform and the first upgrades released by the company after selling this "program" is for their DAC that cost 1/11th the price.

PLUS where this narrative comes that the Analog is more "modular" or that because it is "newer" so therefore easier to develop upgrades is beyond me. What does any of that have to do with anything.

Maybe it is just me and I am living in Bizarro world, but if I shelled out 80K for a newer/older/newer Select DAC with the expectation I would be the first beneficiary of upgrades, I would be pretty pissed right now. Buts that me.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
alexandre

Getting the DSD256 module and LAN module first may not necessarily be a good thing.
MSB may be first testing it out in the lower models. Debugging is a must for such digital add-ons.

However, Diamond Select is so expensive that I guess there won't be too many owners yet.
MSB should have treated these owners as VIPs and communicated with them frequently on any plans ... etc.

It seems that now both Diamond Select owners and MSB dealers are in a mist. :(

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Getting the DSD256 module and LAN module first may not necessarily be a good thing.
MSB may be first testing it out in the lower models. Debugging is a must for such digital add-ons.

However, Diamond Select is so expensive that I guess there won't be too many owners yet.
MSB should have treated these owners as VIPs and communicated with them frequently on any plans ... etc.

It seems that now both Diamond Select owners and MSB dealers are in a mist. :(

I am not so sure I buy that argument. I doubt someone who pays between 7-11k on a DAC wants to be thought of as guinea pig and can't imagine MSB thinking that. I think it was poor planning and decision particularly in light of the select "program" they introduced. I think if I paid 80k for the program I would expect to be the "guinea pig" for nothing.

Like so many other audiophile companies I just think it's a question of bad decision and policy making by MSB.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Jumping in here with next to 0 knowledge about MSB other than the little i have read. Is it possible that this new tech allows the lower range model to be close to the top end stuff at MSB...but due to the quality of configuration of the older design of the top range, they still have not found a way to make it better?

I remember other manufacturers with a SOTA model who eventually came out out with a less expensive model a few years later that produced maybe 80% of the sound quality of the Reference equipment for a lot less money...but they were still unable to create a new reference unit that actually beat the outright quality of the reference. That took several more years.

Perhaps this is where MSB is at for the moment?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
E
Jumping in here with next to 0 knowledge about MSB other than the little i have read. Is it possible that this new tech allows the lower range model to be close to the top end stuff at MSB...but due to the quality of configuration of the older design of the top range, they still have not found a way to make it better?

I remember other manufacturers with a SOTA model who eventually came out out with a less expensive model a few years later that produced maybe 80% of the sound quality of the Reference equipment for a lot less money...but they were still unable to create a new reference unit that actually beat the outright quality of the reference. That took several more years.

Perhaps this is where MSB is at for the moment?

The upgrade we or I have been referring to is not so much of a quality issue but of a feature issue which both DACs will benefit from. One is a new USB module that allows DIRECT DSD as well as quad DSD in addition to all other formats and the other is a new renderer module that enables network direct input.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Bottomline- Did MSB honor their marketing hype that they will provide free upgrade within 1 year of the purchase of MSB select ? In a few days that 1 year pledge is due . To those earlier purchasers it sucks. To me , I still have 6 months to wait but seeing that there is hardly any news on any upgrade ,I felt that I may not have make the right choose to pay so much for an upgrade that is certainly not worth the price SQ wise . It's about honoring the pledge NOT about which model is easier or more convenient to upgrade

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Bottomline- Did MSB honor their marketing hype that they will provide free upgrade within 1 year of the purchase of MSB select ? In a few days that 1 year pledge is due . To those earlier purchasers it sucks. To me , I still have 6 months to wait but seeing that there is hardly any news on any upgrade ,I felt that I may not have make the right choose to pay so much for an upgrade that is certainly not worth the price SQ wise . It's about honoring the pledge NOT about which model is easier or more convenient to upgrade

Agree.

Also since theoretically the renderer module is not an upgrade but an addition it will be interesting to see how they deal with their select customers once available. Will they ask you to pay for it as it is theoretically not an upgrade to what you bought or just give it to you as an upgrade. Hopefully the latter.

I think the new USB one would consider an "upgrade" which surely should be covered under the "select program".

We will see. The difference between the two USB modules for the Analog I think is only 600 bucks and a new renderer module is 2000 bucks.

Let's see what CES brings.

bluedoor

Jun 19, 2013
No wonder the new USB module and streamer module were released for the Analog first.

It's not available for purchase even for the Analog dac.
According to Larry, production of the streamer module will begin this month. We'll see...

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
may be its because Mark S. Brasfield, one of the original founders, is no longer with the company. MSB is his initials, after all. He is with Light harmonic if I am not mistaken

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
may be its because Mark S. Brasfield, one of the original founders, is no longer with the company. MSB is his initials, after all. He is with Light harmonic if I am not mistaken

interesting...

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
It's not available for purchase even for the Analog dac.
According to Larry, production of the streamer module will begin this month. We'll see...

Interesting since they have been advertising it for months now and it is on their website when selecting configurations.

bluedoor

Jun 19, 2013
Interesting since they have been advertising it for months now and it is on their website when selecting configurations.

Weird to say the least. That I'm aware they're advertising those upgrades (quad usb and network renderer) since September. It makes no sense.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing