MIT Speaker Cables?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Help and guidance from all the MIT aficionados please!

Looking at the MIT line up it seems like the Oracle Matrix Super HD 120 is the one to buy from the snippets I can but together

So my questions

1. Are these cables do for an upgrade? Seems like they have been around for quite some time.

2. How much better is the 120 vs. the 90?

3. Is 50% off the best that can be had on MIT?

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
The HD120 was upgraded to SHD120 status in early 2012. Talking with MIT the SHD120 will stay current for sometime to come. There was also an upgrade from the HD90 to HD90 Rev. 1 status. The SHD120 at 145 poles of articulation is substantially better then the HD90 Rev. 1 at 115 poles of articulation.

I keep in touch with MIT as I am an MIT dealer.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The SHD120 was an upgrade from the HD120. This upgrade tool place in early 2012. Talking with MIT the SHD120 will stay current for sometime to come. There was also an upgrade from the HD90 to HD90 Rev. 1 status. The SHD120 at 145 poles of articulation is substantially better then the HD90 Rev. 1 at 115 poles of articulation.

Well come on man, don't be skirting around the discount question!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Help and guidance from all the MIT aficionados please!

Looking at the MIT line up it seems like the Oracle Matrix Super HD 120 is the one to buy from the snippets I can but together

So my questions

1. Are these cables do for an upgrade? Seems like they have been around for quite some time.

2. How much better is the 120 vs. the 90?

3. Is 50% off the best that can be had on MIT?

I bought my HD 90s for a lot less then 50% - I believe they were demos. The going price from the online sellers is 50% off on all models though.

It appears the HD120s are a bit harder to get at lower price than the HD90. I personally would not entertain the idea of paying $15-$18K for the 120HD and taking a $4-$5K depreciation hit myself, when the HD90 can be had for between $4K-$5K with a bit of patience, with resale loss exposure of $500.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Thanks Perry Mason

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The HD120 was upgraded to SHD120 status in early 2012. Talking with MIT the SHD120 will stay current for sometime to come. There was also an upgrade from the HD90 to HD90 Rev. 1 status. The SHD120 at 145 poles of articulation is substantially better then the HD90 Rev. 1 at 115 poles of articulation.

Hi Scott

per our TOS kindly include your industry affiliations in your signature line

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Will do Steve.

Golden Ears

Nov 4, 2012
First off, before you guys think I'm drinking whatever KoolAid any wire company is pouring... I have always disliked the notion of paying a lot for wire. Like many others- I always felt "Why not just buy the next speaker up the line with the money you would have spent on wire?" With some wire, this is sometimes true... but not with MIT cables.

If you have ever heard a system with really good power conditioning work (clarity and air and blackness) , or a system with - say cones under the speakers for bass (less bass smear- more delineation in lower frequencies for stand up bass etc,) , you can sort of think along those lines. Only the improvement isn't limited to a single part of the audible or even inaubible spectrum. Even with sy 9 poles of articulation- you may hear more than just 9 separate areas of improvement.

A better way to think about MIT cables is that you are buying a wire, and another component- a Speaker cable conditioner/clarifier.

But it's more than that. Some other types of "clarifiers" in a system are subractive, and you feel there is clarity, but also less music left. Notes seem to clarity, but with harmonics that are not as pronouced or ...well less dense...or simply gone- vanished.

MIT doesn't do that.

You get clarity as notes seem to reach their natural harmonics with less smear...less comingled mess and noise and confusion. Harmonics that were previously masked/floundering within noise and misplaced reverberation are unmasked. You hear the density of great music. You understand why a musican seeks to buy a better instrument, and this is typically not conveyed through your system with bad wire, you need quality cabling.

There are other good cables out there, but for many speakers MIT may be the very best cables.

I'd lived with both for about 2 years each- Both the MIT Oracale 90 and the MIT Oracle SHD 120.

I've demoed with both as I am a room tuner for various audio shows CES, NEWPORT, RMAF. I've also used other wire from other manufacturers at lower price points, but am eager to go back to MITs new value STYLEline for demoing so it is more inline with speakers costing under $10K.

At some point I need to sell my 12 foot Bi-wire Oracle Matrix Super HD 120 with bananas on the bottom end and spades on the top ...(not sure why , but I was told Bananas work better for Bass frequencies and Spades for top end)- I'm going to need longer lengths- which is good since MIT seems not to degraded by longer runs as other speaker wire.

I traded my 90 HD + cash for the 120 SHD... they do sound different. I found the sense of true deep opera hall depth to be more correctly rendered with the SHD 120. Vocals also seem smoother, without being overly defined ...vocals on the 90 were also great, and in some music I preffered the 90. So either cable is a great choice. For pop music you might be able to just stop with the 90. But teh 120 SHD helps to make all genres of music more believable , more musical, so if you have the cash you may as well go for the 120 SHD.

I did find that emotionally- the singers ability to convey their exact mood in time- to each word..seems better with the SHD 120. I do not speak Italian. But when I listen to Italian opera, I do seem to get more out of the intonation...which of course makes music more enjoyable.

With Pop music, I don't find it as noticable.

There are times, particularly with cone loudspeakers, that I feel a music system has to have MIT wire in the system to take that last leap of realism. I'm not sure if the network box might help stop back EMF as a byproduct of providing more musical articulation, but if you want to FEEL the instruments tones resonante convincingly within your chest... it's a lot easier (and likey less expensive - because you won't have to go as huge on the front end) to get a system to be convincingly real with MIT than without.

I have heard different versions of their cables over a course of decades, and I think they really made sigificant strides in the past few years, I think almost everyone would enjoy the sound of the newer MIT products . They probably should be regarded as a component, much like power conditioning... think of it as speaker cable clarifying...than just "wire".

I also have the MIT Oracle MA-X 110 SHD interconnect. (single ended) which also shares some of the same sonic characteristics of their speaker cables.

I'm happy to let people hear my MIT in their system if they live close to Laguna Beach. The MIT folks are a wonderful group of people to deal with and go to lengths to explain and demonstrate how their product works. I figure I'd pass along the good will.

I know this is an old thread, but i didn't feel there was enough info for it to just close.

CELL 347-263-7238

Last edited:
Reactions: bmarq

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing