TAD R-1's VS Yamaha NS F901's

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Hey Joe

Back to reality ftom the twilight zone.

What dont you like about the Atlantis speaker's?
Too bright, too dull, too laid back, too forward, too much bass, not enough?

Seen them many times at audio connection, but never heard.

Having a listen to the new Alexx on Wednesday.

Cheers Shane

G'day Shane,
twilight zone isn't wrong, entertaining to say the least.
I do find the ceramic tweeter somewhat bright, the bass is also not as tight compared to the Reference 1's
I think l preferred the Sasha's over the Atlantis.
I think l could honestly say that if i hadn't lived with the TAD's prior to the Atlantis l would have been more than happy with them, unfortunately for them, they had a rather large pair of shoes to fill.
Keep me posted as to the Alexx.
Cheers.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
yea Janson mentioned it to me. not sure what colour.

You going to try and pop in tomorrow :)

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
sorry shane. no, i am going to stay home for the next few days and immerse myself in classic rock.
had food poisoning, getting better now, the road to recovery is paved with musical glory!

not sure which colour either. hopefully not bugatti blue. are they already sold?
if maxxy getting ready for upgrade, it will sting! cost is $110k u.s. on the new boy.
let me know how you go. hope janson partner them with antileon evo or something like that.
alexx likes power.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
G'day Shane,
twilight zone isn't wrong, entertaining to say the least.
I do find the ceramic tweeter somewhat bright, the bass is also not as tight compared to the Reference 1's
I think l preferred the Sasha's over the Atlantis.
I think l could honestly say that if i hadn't lived with the TAD's prior to the Atlantis l would have been more than happy with them, unfortunately for them, they had a rather large pair of shoes to fill.
Keep me posted as to the Alexx.
Cheers.

Yes, once you have lived with something, very hard to go back unless it is totally different.

Who is bringing in the TAD R1's for you?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
sorry shane. no, i am going to stay home for the next few days and immerse myself in classic rock.
had food poisoning, getting better now, the road to recovery is paved with musical glory!

not sure which colour either. hopefully not bugatti blue. are they already sold?
if maxxy getting ready for upgrade, it will sting! cost is $110k u.s. on the new boy.
let me know how you go. hope janson partner them with antileon evo or something like that.
alexx likes power.

Ha ha. No Alexx for me. Joe would have to have deal of the century for me to think about it.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Joe...let me know when you get a Yamaha A-S2100 in for your Yamaha ns-f901's. Your see then that these Yamaha speakers will only come to life and sing like.. you have never heard them before!! Then you can compare the a-s2100 and Yamaha ns-f901's TO your new TAD R1's and your other gear! I BET the Yamaha system will sound JUST AS GOOD AS THE TAD'S or maybe a little DIFFERENT.. but NOT better sounding! Wonder why no Magazine Reviewers here in the USA have Reviewed this Reference Yamaha System yet... Because it gives you Reference Sound for...A LOT LESS MONEY!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Joe...let me know when you get a Yamaha A-S2100 in for your Yamaha ns-f901's. Your see then that these Yamaha speakers will only come to life and sing like.. you have never heard them before!! Then you can compare the a-s2100 and Yamaha ns-f901's TO your new TAD R1's and your other gear! I BET the Yamaha system will sound JUST AS GOOD AS THE TAD'S or maybe a little DIFFERENT.. but NOT better sounding! Wonder why no Magazine Reviewers here in the USA have Reviewed this Reference Yamaha System yet... Because it gives you Reference Sound for...A LOT LESS MONEY!

Oh please, only with Yamaha's magic amp can their magic speakers work as intended?

This thread is so far off from basic reality it's beyond ridiculous.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
the thing is; it's ingrained into the human psyche, the belief that something can be done alternatively, much cheaper (half price or less) with the same, or better outcome.
the only bargains are when you get what you want at a demo price, mate's rates or used.

my first system was yamaha. was very happy with that for the first 5 or 6 years of audiophilia. after that you pretty much learn through experience
that you get what you pay for. you keep moving on, enjoy what you have and never force comparisons with mate's systems. just listen and enjoy your music.

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
My first decent speakers were NS-1000's which l still have and will never sell.
I'm a Yamaha fan and whilst the NS-1000's and NS-F901's aren't embarrassed playing next to the TAD's they're certainly not in the same league.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
from my experience, nothing has moved me as much as the r1's did.
i sat there trying to figure out a way to buy them.
couldn't afford them even though they were a bargain, so i bought the cd player instead.
had to have 'something' from the system chain of that demo....

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
At the time i had Sasha's and went to the Melbourne hifi show where Andrew Jones was doing the TAD demo.
I heard the Evolution 1 speakers at this event and they blew me away!
I came home, sold the Sasha's with the intent of buying the Reference 1's unseen/unheard.
Best decision of my hifi journey until l sold them about a year ago.
My second pair should arrive in a week or two, these will be going nowhere!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
At the time i had Sasha's and went to the Melbourne hifi show where Andrew Jones was doing the TAD demo.
I heard the Evolution 1 speakers at this event and they blew me away!
I came home, sold the Sasha's with the intent of buying the Reference 1's unseen/unheard.
Best decision of my hifi journey until l sold them about a year ago.
My second pair should arrive in a week or two, these will be going nowhere!

The Evo floorstanders with all TAD electronics setup by Andrew was one of the best demos I've ever heard. I now have the Pioneer S-1EX which use the same mid/tweeter, woofers have an overhung instead of underhung motor design, otherwise are also the same. They are great speakers for sure but my system can't quite match the $250k worth of TAD electronics the Evos were shown with. :)

They are a good reference, especially for the mids/highs... the two 7" woofers are easily beaten though. My speaker with AE TD15H+ woofers embarrasses them <400 Hz or so.

I heard the R1s some time ago, bass is far better than Evo series and the Be midrange cone is also amazing.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
My first decent speakers were NS-1000's which l still have and will never sell.
I'm a Yamaha fan and whilst the NS-1000's and NS-F901's aren't embarrassed playing next to the TAD's they're certainly not in the same league.

Joe...The Yamaha NS-F901's are not embarrassed playing next to the TAD R1's because they are both Reference Speakers...they are both up into the Diminishing Returns level! and now it comes down to personal taste between the two speakers...

SYNERGY BETWEEN COMPONENTS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!... Why you don't like the Yamaha speakers as good as the TAD's is Because the Synergy BETWEEN YOUR GEAR AND the Yamaha speakers is NOT A GOOD MATCH!! The Yamaha Reference Gear is the BEST SYNERGY MATCH for these Yamaha ns-f901 speakers!...

Last edited:

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Joe...The Yamaha NS-F901's are not embarrassed playing next to the TAD R1's because they are both Reference Speakers...they are both up into the Diminishing Returns level! and now it comes down to personal taste between the two speakers...

SYNERGY BETWEEN COMPONENTS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!... Why you don't like the Yamaha speakers as good as the TAD's is Because the Synergy BETWEEN YOUR GEAR AND the Yamaha speakers is NOT A GOOD MATCH!! The Yamaha Reference Gear is the BEST SYNERGY MATCH for these Yamaha ns-f901 speakers!...

Whatever you say AK, l believe you.
I hope other have been educated here also.

Sarcasm alert.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Really you two guys speakers are both obsolete.
The top of range NS-5000 is the one to get

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing