TAD R-1's VS Yamaha NS F901's

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
How do the 901's compare to the NS-1000's?!!!!
That's one comparison I'm yet to do.
I've had a few issues with my system the last 12-14 months pre amp wise.
Will get around to it shortly and let you know.
One thing l will say is that when l use to play them when l had my Sasha's several people commented saying how good the Sasha's were sounding.
They certainly were not embarrassed when being played next to the likes of Wilson and TAD for that matter.

Last edited:

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012

Joe...when they compared the Tad R1's with the Yamaha F901's in the video here they were only using top of the line Reference Yamaha gear to compare these two speakers. From what I've seen on other forums is these f901's sound their very best with Yamaha gear only and the amp your using to compare these two speakers might not be a good match with these f901's.

Maybe if you had reference Yamaha gear we could find out if these Tad speakers really are better or not.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Maybe if you had reference Yamaha gear we could find out if these Tad speakers really are better or not.

Apparently you don't understand how ridiculous this comparison is, I give up...

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Apparently you don't understand how ridiculous this comparison is, I give up...

Price of product.. has nothing to do with sound quality. Just because it cost more doesn't mean it will always sound better!;)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Price of product.. has nothing to do with sound quality.

Maybe in some cases, but this isn't one of them.

The comparison of what is arguably the most advanced dynamic speaker ever built, designed by one of the best speaker designers in existence with the resources of Pioneer and no cost restraints to a $4k/pr Yamaha speaker is ridiculous.

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
You know what? You have a point!
I really should "upgrade" my Gryphon Antileon Signature power amp and Esoteric C-03X pre to the Yamaha reference series.
The Yamaha gear would be sure to make the TAD's sound terrible whilst making the Yamaha'a shine.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
You know what? You have a point!
I really should "upgrade" my Gryphon Antileon Signature power amp and Esoteric C-03X pre to the Yamaha reference series.
The Yamaha gear would be sure to make the TAD's sound terrible whilst making the Yamaha'a shine.

It's never over until the fat lady sings...AND I don't hear that FAT LADY SINGING YET....;)

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
It's never over until the fat lady sings...AND I don't hear that FAT LADY SINGING YET....;)

Lets just say my current rig would make the 901's sound better than ANY Yamaha reference system.
However, the Reference ones's through the Yamaha Reference system would leave a lot to be desired l believe.
Happy to bet both my balls on this also.

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Anyway AK, you enjoy you're state of the art Yamaha system, i'll enjoy my mediocre Gryphon, Tad, Esoteric examples

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Lets just say my current rig would make the 901's sound better than ANY Yamaha reference system.
However, the Reference ones's through the Yamaha Reference system would leave a lot to be desired l believe.
Happy to bet both my balls on this also.

Joe...We All Hear Things Differently so.. what sounds good to you.. somebody else will always think it sounds bad.

Using gear that may not be a good match with the Yamaha f901's will always make them sound bad period....just like any other speakers on the market!

To be fair to the Yamaha speakers they should be paired with gear that is the best matching gear like Yamaha's Reference gear.. to Hear the Best Sound out of them.

Thanks for your feedback on these speakers.

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Joe...We All Hear Things Differently so.. what sounds good to you.. somebody else will always think it sounds bad.

Using gear that may not be a good match with the Yamaha f901's will always make them sound bad period....just like any other speakers on the market!

To be fair to the Yamaha speakers they should be paired with gear that is the best matching gear like Yamaha's Reference gear.. to Hear the Best Sound out of them.

Thanks for your feedback on these speakers.

Is anyone else in fits of laughter here????

i have heard antileon sig with r1's.
nothing to worry about - sounded superb!

At least someone knows something here.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Joe...Yamaha has a new integrated amp that is just as good... sound wise as the Reference A-S3000 and it's called the A-S2100 for $3500. Some have compared these two amps and they couldn't tell a difference between them because both these amps are Deep into the Diminishing Returns so your not going to hear a difference when you get to this level.

I bet if you try this new Yamaha A-S2100 with your Yamaha ns-f901 speakers...your find out just how good these Yamaha speakers really are! Your then be wondering just how good the Yamaha NS-5000's are! :p

Yamaha can Play with the Big Boys when they want to! ;)

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Joe...Yamaha has a new integrated amp that is just as good... sound wise as the Reference A-S3000 and it's called the A-S2100 for $3500. Some have compared these two amps and they couldn't tell a difference between them because both these amps are Deep into the Diminishing Returns so your not going to hear a difference when you get to this level.

I bet if you try this new Yamaha A-S2100 with your Yamaha ns-f901 speakers...your find out just how good these Yamaha speakers really are! Your then be wondering just how good the Yamaha NS-5000's are! :p

Yamaha can Play with the Big Boys when they want to! ;)

AK, you should be a comedian if you thin for one minute the new Yamaha gear will even begin to compare to my current Gryphon, esoteric amplification.
Have a nice day funny man.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
AK, you should be a comedian if you thin for one minute the new Yamaha gear will even begin to compare to my current Gryphon, esoteric amplification.
Have a nice day funny man.

I BET the Yamaha A-S2100 is a BETTER MATCH with the Yamaha speakers.. than your gear!!;)

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
I can assure they they are a better match price wise, but as for the sound, not a match!
If i wanted to flaunt wealth l would drive a expensive car that people car see as opposed to spending my hard earned on a stereo no one sees.
Anyway AK, enjoy your Yamaha gear and ill enjoy mine.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hey Joe

Back to reality ftom the twilight zone.

What dont you like about the Atlantis speaker's?
Too bright, too dull, too laid back, too forward, too much bass, not enough?

Seen them many times at audio connection, but never heard.

Having a listen to the new Alexx on Wednesday.

Cheers Shane

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing