Why I love my Counterpoint SA-5.1

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have talked about this before on other forums. In this day and age of tube preamp manufacturers touting their preamps as "pure tube" or "all tube," most of them aren't. The vast majority have solid state power supplies and/or solid state voltage regulation. The SA-5.1 is one of the few tube preamps that actually has a tube rectifier and tube voltage regulation and I for one thinks it matters sonically.

The SA-5.1 not only sounds fantastic, I think it is very elegant looking in the way the early Mark Levinson preamps looked elegant (when Mark actually owned the company). It also has a great sounding phono section which is hard to beat.

Even though Counterpoint was forced out of business, the chief designer (Michael Elliott) is still supporting all of the Counterpoint gear for repairs and modifications/upgrades for most of the line. My 5.1 has been back to Michael Elliott to have the line stage and phono stage upgraded and it was a good investment. One of these days when I can bear to part with it again, I will send it back for the power supply upgrades.

I have owned numerous other preamps and none could beat out the SA-5.1. That list includes the CAT Signature MKIII and most recently the McIntosh C2300. I wanted to like the C2300 because of all of its conveniance factors such as phono loading from the remote and the ability to take low output MC cartridges straight in. Even though the C2300 has six 12AX7 tubes, it still sounds like a SS preamp to these ears. The phono section wasn't even close to the quality of the 5.1. Lucky for me that I had 30 day return rights on the C2300 so it went back and I was only out the shipping costs.

I have reached a point now where I am no longer searching for a preamp that is better. That preamp (if it exists) needs to find me. I am not laying out any more cash in hopes of finding something that will be significantly better. I am sure that it might exist, but I am not going to chase it and hope I can find it. I am very happy with what I have and feel lucky everytime I power on my system.

Mark

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Well, Michael did start a new company called Aria in which he is designing and building new amps and preamp in addition to his altavista audio company where he repairs/upgrades Counterpoint gear. As I said on another post, Michael lost the rights to the Counterpoint name during the bank-forced bankruptcy. The rights to the Counterpoint name were bought by Conrad Johnson in what I can only surmise was a business decision to kill off the brand from competing with them in the future.

Mark

Cobra2

Aug 15, 2010
I suppose with Michael Elliott servicing and upgrading old gear one could say the company still exists but with nothing new on the horizon to bring it back to where it was

Is that a polite way of saying that he is clever enough to sell the same product twice? (replacing old errors with new)

Arne K

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well, Michael did start a new company called Aria in which he is designing and building new amps and preamp in addition to his altavista audio company where he repairs/upgrades Counterpoint gear. As I said on another post, Michael lost the rights to the Counterpoint name during the bank-forced bankruptcy. The rights to the Counterpoint name were bought by Conrad Johnson in what I can only surmise was a business decision to kill off the brand from competing with them in the future.

Mark

I know we've talked about his but we don't know the whole reason why cj bought Counterpoint. It's not like Lew and Bill to kill a competitors line. And the banks had foreclosed as I understand it on Counterpoint (or actually called the debt due). After all, Lew and Bill did buy McCormack and Sonographe turntables and speakers years ago and continued to produce the products. Perhaps the situation with Counterpoint was beyond help.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing