a few 2014 Newport Show pics

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Gary, how do you think they would perform in an outdoor environment, such as a back yard patio or balcony?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, how do you think they would perform in an outdoor environment, such as a back yard patio or balcony?

I think that it would sound excellent! The balcony doors were wide open and the bass and more importantly mid-bass still had huge punch.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...The big T&F co-axials were driven by 60-wpc SET mono blocks and Viva line/phono stages with a basis TT/transfiguration orpheus cart....

BTW these are only 33 watts at $45k/pr :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
This wasn't a "hi-fi" type setup, but when you sat down and listened for awhile the system and music would definitely suck you in. I spent much more time in this room than any other room at the show, mostly for personal reasons, but the sound and the music didn't disappoint.

bummed I missed this room. i heard it last year and was quite disappointed, so didn't make the cut this year. sounds like that was a mistake.

SMcAudio

Feb 10, 2012
southern California
www.SMcAudio.com
I absolutely agree with Gary Koh - The Planter Speakers were a knockout and came as a total surprise! It's one of those cases where a relatively modest system surpassed all expectations and delivered not only good sound but an engaging musical experience as well. These speakers rocked the house! Were they the best speakers at the show? No, of course not. But, wow - the system really sounded great and was by far the most fun demo I heard at the show. These planter speakers sounded way better than they had any apparent right to and completely up-ended my notions of what to expect from an outdoor speaker.

Like Gary, I missed some of the show rooms so I'm sure there were other good demos that I didn't hear. On the other hand, I did make it into quite a few of the high-profile, big-name, ultra-expensive rooms, and I'm sorry to say that none of those rooms made music happen the way this system did. In those rooms I heard a lot of beautifully-crafted, finely-resolved notes that did not come together to create a musical whole. The Planter speakers may not have had the ultimate resolution and incredible transparency of those systems, but they made music and were just great fun to hear.

So if you are searching for a patio / poolside outdoor speaker, look no further. But be careful – if you bring them into your sound room for a trial run you may find yourself dancing the night away and wondering what sort of plants will do well in that location!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you're in Colorado some plans come to mind :D

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The plan for RMAF is to have some appropriate plants in the pots :D

If you can confirm that then I might have to see about making the trip. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Next up, audiophile silent ballast UV lights and drip systems :cool:

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I spent Sunday doing this (technically San Diego, not Newport). How could people just pack up and go home after the show?

I was also impressed with the planter speakers. Could use 4 of those to go around the pool I don't have.

20140601_124122.jpg

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Southern California :cool:
Where was this taken ?

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
This was San Diego, where Mission Beach starts and Pacific Beach ends. So Cal beach weather is typically unreliable in June and this view would often be covered in a layer of clouds and fog until July, but the June climate pattern is much different this year and it was sunny every day from the early morning. I lived in San Diego for 5 years and hadn't been back for 10, so this was quite a trip for me.

I've never seen the trees and grass so brown this time of year and they had major fires about two weeks before I arrived. If I still lived in So Cal I'd have my fire plan at the ready. It pains me to say this, but they'll be very fortunate if that whole place isn't an inferno by mid-October.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Ah...I did not read the parenthetical information, closely.
I had mentioned to my spouse, earlier, this appears to be Mission Beach.
Our family moved to San Diego in '63 :cool:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
fork:"I've never seen the trees and grass so brown this time of year and they had major fires about two weeks before I arrived. If I still lived in So Cal I'd have my fire plan at the ready. It pains me to say this, but they'll be very fortunate if that whole place isn't an inferno by mid-October."

That is a MAJOR concern right now. We had an early taste of the fire season and it was very nasty. Problem is that these fires are actually Nature's way of cleaning up and many species actually rely on them. The building that has gone on in S.CAlif may not have taken this into consideration, so the danger is extreme. I am hoping for a mild summer and a wet winter...this is something that we need badly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing