Most disappointing music purchase

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Bob Dylan in the 80s Vol 1. If you are a die hard Dylan fan like me , this has to be THE most disappointing album buy in recent memory. Maybe I am just old fashioned, but the leit motif if not the USP of Dylan's music are the lyrics. If you are going to drown the lyrics in a dirge of amplified noise, it's unlistenable. I bought the LP as it had a version of "Brownsville Girl", IMHO, one of the most underrated Dylan songs. Even the original was way overproduced, with overtones of Cecil D Mille/Phil Spector. The Regis Watts version on this album...The only polite way I can describe it would be with the choicest Indian expletives.
I know YMMV and that sort of thing. There are a couple of little gems on this double album but OTW , a huge disappointment . Fortunately, my recent pickings also included Lyn Stanley(if you are an audiophile , this is a must have album).
Cheers

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Bob Dylan in the 80s Vol 1. If you are a die hard Dylan fan like me , this has to be THE most disappointing album buy in recent memory.

Have you looked into a Bob Dylan 2-CD set where all Dylan tunes are done by major recording artists? Decent quality sound, and I have really enjoyed the personal touches by most of the artists.

Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan, Honouring 50 Years of Amnesty International

As for disappointing albums...I have yet to find a Bruce Springsteen CD from the '80s/'90s which from a mastering standpoint I have been happy with. Great music, but Born in the USA is just very difficult to listen to from a mastering perspective.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Easy for me.
After all the paise and hosanna's I picked up a couple of Rory Gallagher lp's. Can't believe how much I dislike his playing.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Have you looked into a Bob Dylan 2-CD set where all Dylan tunes are done by major recording artists? Decent quality sound, and I have really enjoyed the personal touches by most of the artists.

Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan, Honouring 50 Years of Amnesty International

As for disappointing albums...I have yet to find a Bruce Springsteen CD from the '80s/'90s which from a mastering standpoint I have been happy with. Great music, but Born in the USA is just very difficult to listen to from a mastering perspective.
Lloyd
I have Chimes of Freedom. Some outstanding tracks . Come to think of it, there is little by Dylan and Cohen that I don't have. My rant was basically against the overproduction with synthesisers and other loud noises that completely drown out the lyrics. Nothing wrong with the sonics on the album. A couple of tracks are pretty spooky with an enveloping soundstage.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The biggest disappointment for me in the last 2 years was the John Lennon - Imagine 40th Anniversary Boxset. Thank God I still have a great copy of the original Canadian pressing.

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
Well,two LP's come to mind-The Chi-lites[Steppin Out] by far their worst record ever, Have Mercy[Don Covay]one word..TERRIBLE!!

Reactions: PhonoDac2704

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing