Should Class D designs cost less than comparable other designs?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
A lot of class D amps are lightweight, relatively inexpensive modules designed for car audio, subwoofers, portable, and other "non-audiophile" applications. Most class A amplifiers are big, heavy beasts at the top of the line and cost accordingly. From a design perspective, at least from mine, really good class D amps are a lot harder to realize than a class A design, but perception is everything.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
The best still seem to be the traditional designs. Yes, class D can deliver impressive performance, particularly for it's size and what often is a much cheaper price. It should be cheaper for the reasons already articulated by others. But, until convinced otherwise, I still believe there must be some compromise. And thus, if I want the best, it's probably not going to be class D.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Didn't we already have this discussion in reference to the Merrill Audio Class D amplifiers, choice of modules and cost? Deja vu all over again.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
A lot of class D amps are lightweight, relatively inexpensive modules designed for car audio, subwoofers, portable, and other "non-audiophile" applications. Most class A amplifiers are big, heavy beasts at the top of the line and cost accordingly. From a design perspective, at least from mine, really good class D amps are a lot harder to realize than a class A design, but perception is everything.

Big heavy beasts of amps are necessary for audiophile ego stroking.
Class D amps don't compensate for our "deficiencies" in quite the same way so, yes they should cost less........

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
It is what it is! :)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I forgot about Bel Canto Black. It's class D and it's total price retails for $50,000 which includes the digital frontend. Just to add the amps to the digital bumps the price from $20,000 to $50,000, as I understand it.

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
Almost we can assume class D amps will cost less in terms of electricity consumption... When I compare the smaller integrated amp made by SPEC Corp. to my Luxman power amps plus tube preamp, there is no doubts...
And in terms of pure performance, I am concerned about the Luxman pricing. I honestly think there is an opposite relationship between higher power efficiency and cost...

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Mep said it right on the Merrill thread- they use all the audiophile buzz words and "parts" to justify the price.

I heard the Mola Molas this weekend- still suck to these ears. 18k or 5k, wouldn't matter.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I read an interview with Bruno Putzeys (Mola Mola/Hypex) some time ago where he described the different advantages and disadvantages of building in class a/tubes/class d. As regards Class D he commented that it was very simple to produce a reasonably good sounding amplifier using off the shelf kits. To take Class D to the next level is in his opinion complicated and expensive.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Unfortunately, the next level is where most of us have our eyes set.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Fortunately, we’re at the next level with our class A amps. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing