Graham Elite & TechDas AF1

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
A graham is a great arm nice to get on your birthday have fun.

It was actually Christian who got it on his birthday. Bob did not time mine as well :) It will be fun nevertheless.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
You will love it even more once the wires start to settle in....not too long...15 hrs or so...only to get better.

The plan is to give it some play time and then start the fine tuning.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The plan is to give it some play time and then start the fine tuning.

I am looking forward to Bobby's thicker arm board for the front slot so the VTA rides towards the middle of the scale. My rear arm does as I have a thicker Delrin board made by Bob G.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I am looking forward to Bobby's thicker arm board for the front slot so the VTA rides towards the middle of the scale. My rear arm does as I have a thicker Delrin board made by Bob G.
Luckily this is not as much an issue with my Atlas, which is not as tall as your XV-1t's.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Pretty quiet offer here, I know everyone is busy listening to music but anyone have an update they care to share.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I recently heard the TechDas AF1 with Graham Elite arm in rockitman's system. I was struck by how absolutely silent his analog front end is. There was virtually no record noise and the music really emerged from a black background. The table is massive, superbly engineered and very cool looking. I was mighty impressed with the object and the sound. I think much of its sound has to do with the high degree of isolation.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I recently heard the TechDas AF1 with Graham Elite arm in rockitman's system. I was struck by how absolutely silent his analog front end is. There was virtually no record noise and the music really emerged from a black background. The table is massive, superbly engineered and very cool looking. I was mighty impressed with the object and the sound. I think much of its sound has to do with the high degree of isolation.

I agree and seems the late Harry Pearson did also http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?16109-A-TechDAS-AFO-review-by-the-late-Harry-Pearson

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I still recall when Bob G. installed mine and latter in that day I was listening and the silence was the first thing that struck me, music jumping out of the dark background was pretty amazing.

It's now just been a little over year of ownership and truly enjoying!

Vaughan-20131103-01177.jpg

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I guess I just couldn't keep my hands to myself. Visiting the home of an audiophile in Bangkok I noticed that his system wasn't performing as well as a system of this calibre (Avalon Isis, Spectral electronics) should be doing. I asked the owners permission to check and fine-tune the set-up of his Air Force One.

Good thing I did as there was quite a litany of problems with the set-up. An hour later, the system was singing.

The Graham Elite is a joy to set up - I've used and set-up numerous Phantoms before, but this is the first time I had seen an Elite.

It was fortunate that I was there, as this was the 9th Air Force One sold in Bangkok, and the audiophile who had already placed his order for the 10th to be delivered in July was already having second thoughts. The AF1 had the reputation of being slow but musical. After dialing it in, it sounded like a completely different turntable.

set-up 1.jpg Set-up 2.jpg

I had fun visiting the audiophiles of Thailand. There are ten Air Force Ones already sold, but no one knew how many Air Force Twos. After the set-up I was invited to dinner, where we had two AF1 owners, one who has yet to have his delivered, and two Genesis owners (excluding me).

Set-up 4.jpg

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Gary

Great to see you giving the white glove treatment and getting the guys system back in order.

BTW - I heard your awesome speakers at Fortune on Tuesday through the AF2 and Viola amps. Fantastic speakers!!

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
How exciting! I just join the family and my AF1 arrived last night!

Actually..... while trying to mount the Elite, it seems the standard SME armboard can only fit the 9 inch arm? My elite has 10 inch arm wand and I couldn't mount it. Reversing the armboard didn't help either.....

Is a special order armboard required to mount the 10 inch arm? I was under the impression that the standard armboard can accommodate both 9 and 10 inch arms....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Matthew,

Congratulations on your new table and yes welcome to the family! :D

I'm not too familiar with the SME mount. As for the Graham mount, the arm board must be ordered specifically for the arm length. Bob should be able to answer best.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary

Great to see you giving the white glove treatment and getting the guys system back in order.

BTW - I heard your awesome speakers at Fortune on Tuesday through the AF2 and Viola amps. Fantastic speakers!!

You mean Forthwise in Hong Kong? Glad that you liked them.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
You mean Forthwise in Hong Kong? Glad that you liked them.

Yes, bloody auto correct.;) Hard to believe that so many tweeters can sound so coherent. No such issues as seating/listening height, which I loved.

BG was a very nice host.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
shane, you heard both the dragons and the af-2 in the same room. lucky guy!!!
you getting the af-2? anytime soon? :cool:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
How exciting! I just join the family and my AF1 arrived last night!

Actually..... while trying to mount the Elite, it seems the standard SME armboard can only fit the 9 inch arm? My elite has 10 inch arm wand and I couldn't mount it. Reversing the armboard didn't help either.....

Is a special order armboard required to mount the 10 inch arm? I was under the impression that the standard armboard can accommodate both 9 and 10 inch arms....

I use the SME mount arm bd for my 10" Graham Elite on the AF1...can you be more specific why your arm doesn't fit ? Are the holes drilled wrong on the board itself ? Are you using the graham spindle cup and the arm w/o cart attached to get your pivot to spindle distance for the 10" arm ? ...need more specifics in order to help. As an fyi, when I got my AF1, the holes for the sme sled mount were incorrectly drilled.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing